I used the Web Clipper to save some PDFs as notes and the text looks really bad on the Windows app. It looks fine on the web app and on my phone. It looks better in a larger window, but is unreadable in a window that's not full screen. I included an image of the text below. 

image.png.5f4998841129e2b08aadc95ba8999b0c.png

• Level 5

What version of Evernote and what version of Windows do you have? I'm on the latest Windows app, version 10.45.18, under Windows 10, and I also see this happening. I find that changing the view of the PDF will fix it: if I view it as Single Page, and go to p. 2 or 3 then back to p. 1, it is fixed; or on any PDF, if I click on the gray bar at the top of the PDF, click the 3-dots menu, and select View as Attachment, then change the view back to Single Page or All Pages, it is fixed. But the fix is not permanent: if I come back to the same PDF a minute later and view as Single or All Pages, the display is bad.

I didn't see this happening before, and I suspect it was introduced with the latest update (unless you're seeing it on an earlier version). I'm going to report it to Evernote support, and it would help if you would do so also: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. This is for paid subscribers, though there may be a guest option; if you're on a free account, you can decide whether it's worth it to subscribe for 1 month just to report this, and then drop back to free.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In response to my support ticket, they asked that I check to see if it's happening on Evernote Web as well. I should have done that first, because when I checked there the problem does exist, so it's not limited to the Windows app. I also note that it happens on different types of PDFs (receipts, articles) and with different fonts (e.g., serif and sans serif).

Support also said they can't reproduce it, and it's the first they've heard of it, so please do submit support tickets if you're experiencing it. @jessicaemmett, have you heard back from them?

So, for me, it's only on the Windows app. Not the web or my phone. They asked me to log out and log back in, which I did. I sent them the url for the pdf in my screenshot, but it's affecting all the PDFs in my library, including some that I saved years ago. I also gave them the version of the web clipper I'm using. I'll report back if I hear anything else. 

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

This issue sounds to me like a screen resolution issue.  Are you ruunning Windows in the PC's default screen resolution? Sometimes a configuration is tweaked and then everything starts looking odd.

Of course there's a new release today.  Upgrade to that and see what happens...

• Level 5

I haven't changed the resolution on my display. I saw that a new version is available. I may just wait for it to roll out, or perhaps I'll go online and download it. I should add that I just checked the Web client on my older, Windows 7 computer, and PDFs display well there (and of course the new version of the app can't be installed). I'll keep that in mind.

To join in: I see this issue as well but only on windows client. It has been going on for me for a while now - not only with latest installed release (client 10.46.7).

It seems that only PDF which contain "normal" text (that is text you could grab and copy from the pdf, pdfs that you create out of office software for example) are affected by that. PDF that contain only image data are shown well inline. On web all PDF show well without distortion...

No big deal for me as I most often do not use the inline view but surely something the devs should dive into.

Example:

image.png.3b8b9edd60934077ebd07afd9a3735da.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Further information, albeit weird: I find that the same display errors occur when I look at a PDF attached to an email using Comcast's online email interface (https://connect.xfinity.com/). Obviously that's not something that others can check, unless they have Comcast email. The errors are the same as or similar to those I see in the Windows desktop app (even after updating to v. 10.46.7) and the Web client (also 10.46.7). But if I open the same PDF files locally in the same Edge browser, they display fine. So it's not Edge (probably), but it seems to be something that Evernote and Comcast have in common. :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem with pdfs showing wonky text on my 32 inch monitor as the only display, but when I change to duplicate the displays (laptop and monitor), it goes away on both displays.   If I extend the laptop display to the monitor, it is wonky on both displays.  It is fine just on the laptop as the only display.  I have a graphics program that goes wild and locks up if I have the displays set up to extend, so I believe there may be some underlying issues with displays that probably won't be addressed by Evernote and other programs.

• Like 1