Upgrade from 6 to 10 - Offline Notes Sync times & questions?

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Have  finally upgraded from v6 to 10.44.8.

Main reason to use Evernote is the ability to have Offline notes/Notebooks/Stacks. (Approx 3700 notes. Mostly text with minimal added content)

So far many many notes say "Download incomplete".  Will these eventually Sync to be Offline? Or do these just have a Header that needs to be online to see the rest of the info?

See that a Sync cannot be forced in the Windows app as it is supposed to Sync automatically.

Is there somewhere or some way to see when all notes are synced?

V6 had all the notes Offline. V10 obviously doesn't use that existing v6 database. Does v10 keep a database on the computer or just online?

Do I need to go back to V6 to make sure all my notes are offline?

Thanks. (I did search the Forums & Google before posting this)

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, jaaa said:

(I did search the Forums & Google before posting this)

Hi.  Sorry to advise you that

"Beginning with the newest Evernote apps (Version 10.0 and above), local notebooks are no longer supported in Evernote."
Convert local notebooks – Evernote Help & Learning

Your options are: 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, jaaa said:

Does v10 keep a database on the computer or just online?

Yes, an offline database copy is maintained.    
This is optional via a switch in preferences (Windows/Mac)   
or offline notebooks (IOS/Android)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

@jaaa Sure you have offline access. The only important thing is to be logged into your client before going offline. You can close everything, shut the computer down - just don’t log out of your account.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005917

To force a download hold down the alt/opt key before clicking on the Help menu. There will be an additional option „Troubleshooting“.

Behind it are among others 2 options, one called „Reload“, the other „Force Reload“. There are keyboard shortcuts as well.

Edit: On Windows seems to be strg/ctrl instead of alt/opt.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To force a download hold down the alt/opt key before clicking on the Help menu. There will be an additional option „Troubleshooting“.

Behind it are among others 2 options, one called „Reload“, the other „Force Reload“. There are keyboard shortcuts as well.

Thanks for this. I read your reply to another post (23/8/22) about forcing Sync with this info. Really useful as it doesn't seem to be 'officially' available anywhere.

Using Win10 + EN app V10.44.8 public but can't get Troubleshooting menu to show using Alt key +Help. I get that menu with Ctrl key + Help.

Crtl-R does work to Reload.

Just for info - the message at lower right corner in grey says "All changes saved" - but still shows some Notes with a 'Download incomplete' message when offline. So I'm not sure if the changes saved message relates to the Open note or the program

Thanks to all for the replies. Have now also gone back to EN Legacy as can see you can run both app versions on same device. Running both apps to see what differences are.  Legacy is much faster generally & more reliable sync.

In v10 app I don't get any indicator on notes whether they are Sync'd or not. In Legacy/V6 there was a coloured triangle in corner when a note is not Sync'd yet.

(Have used Evernote since 2012. It's layout & functionality suits my usage. So would prefer to stick with EN. I keep trying other productivity/organisation/project/To Do/sync programs for past decade or so but yet to find one that is so useful to my usage & simple. Although Productivity apps now are a lot better than they used to be many don't cater to Offline well.)

• Level 5
15 hours ago, jaaa said:

In v10 app I don't get any indicator on notes whether they are Sync'd or not. In Legacy/V6 there was a coloured triangle in corner when a note is not Sync'd yet.

15 hours ago, jaaa said:

Just for info - the message at lower right corner in grey says "All changes saved" - but still shows some Notes with a 'Download incomplete' message when offline.

In v 10, it is the message at bottom right in a note being edited that indicates when it has been synced. Since syncing is constant and automatic, no indicator on other notes would be needed. But, if I'm understanding you right, you're saying that this indicator says "All changes saved," yet there are "Download incomplete" messages when offline? I take this to mean that after notes have apparently synced, if you go offline there are still some listed as not fully downloaded, correct? As you've noted, Ctrl+R can be used to force a sync before going offline--are you still seeing "Download incomplete" if you do that?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I take this to mean that after notes have apparently synced, if you go offline there are still some listed as not fully downloaded, correct?

Thanks for reply.

That is exactly what I meant. Looked like they'd all sync'd. Message in corner said "All changes saved". Notes that had been used or opened had sync'd. More obscure less used notes were still "Download incomplete".

Even after multiple Ctrl-R re-syncs.

That said. It appears they are now ALL downloaded. So not sure if this was an original install setup thing where they were slow to download. (Slow like it took days to be complete)

Have also just received an app update to V10.45.18. This seems to be much snappier than prev v10.44. Or could just be because the database is now up to date & all downloaded.

(Early versions of the Android app only downloaded Headers/Snippet by default, not the full note. That was why I asked whether V10 did the same)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

How fast you expect several gigabyte to download and be organized into a database ?

When I rebuild my database on my Mc last time, I supervised the network traffic. It was running for 4 days in the background until the download of appr. 30 GB was complete - network traffic then stopped.

If you want to see what’s going on, open the web client and check how long it takes for an edit on the desktop to be reflected in the web view. At this moment it has reached the server database, and will then sync from there to the devices.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

How fast you expect several gigabyte to download and be organized into a database ?

I wasn't sure. That was exactly WHY I was posting & asking. To find out what to expect as most common/normal for time frame & behaviour for V10.

I was just going by how fast previous versions of EN on Windows & Android had sync'd from scratch/full re-install. (Which is a lot quicker than a few days.).

I appreciate the assistance & info you have all given. It has been very helpful to me (& to others who find this post later.)

• Like 2