No clipping screen shot or images

I notified tech support and they were unable to resolve thus far.  I thought she said she would send this to the next level or something similar, but now I do not see her post saying that. 

I have used EN for over a decade so I'm quite familiar with how it works.  Lately, it will NOT do a screen shot, nor will it clip an image.  I get parts of the screen for everything, nothing is ever complete.  It also appears greatly magnified, the little bit it does save.  It saved the "full page" until this morning - now it saves nothing at all.  I'm pretty frustrated with the lack of answers regarding this issue...and why would it be getting worse??????

I'm on a Mac.  Have the latest version of both the Clipper and EN.  Any ideas?  I guess I will look around for some other software....

• Evernote Expert

OK, you've posted in the iOS area but you mention you are on a Mac. Let's assume the Mac issue. You don't say which version of the software you are using.

You say you want a screen shot and to clip an image... How are you trying to achieve this? If you can describe the steps you take them we can attempt to reproduce the issue and suggest someone or a work around.

So a little more detail would be great.

Mac - Version 11 etc.

Evernote - Version 10.43.7

Clipper - 7.26.2.405-c285942

Firefox - 104.0.2

Have the same issues with Chrome tho....(updated today just to check).    It doesn't matter if I right click on the mouse, or click on the clipper in the tool bar.  Not getting results at all now with screen shot or image.   The only thing that works is "full page".

Again, tried to save "clip image" just now...same outcome.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 6.32.11 AM.png

Since I appear to be at a dead end with this, and have never heard another word from tech support, does anyone have a phone number to call so I can get help with my so-called premium account???  I did find one with Google's help, but apparently not a valid one.  I really do need to get this working again.  Thanks!

• Level 5

Do you have an open ticket ?

Did you ever have an open ticket ? In this case you received an answer with a ticket number.

Is the ticket (if started) still open ? Check in the help pages, by logging in and looking the tickets up in "My requests". If the ticket was closed, it will tell "Solved" - which does not necessarily means the problem was really solved, it just means the ticket was closed.

On closed tickets you will normally not get further answers.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I'm posting in the wrong forum. Wish I knew how to move this.

My ticket number is Ticket# 3567664 - and dated September 22.  Two different people responded and said it had to be passed on.  I've never heard another word.  In one of their responses, he/she said that this was a known issue.  Is everyone just waiting for this to be fixed?  Their workarounds for this also do not work - instead of using clip image, I was told to do a screenshot.  Well, neither one work so now what?

I've updated both my OS and Evernote so I'm in Version 10.49.4-mac-mas-public (459555)
Editor: v161.2.19948
Service: v1.61.2
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I would be eternally grateful if someone could fix this!

Edited by pinemeadows
spelling
3 hours ago, pinemeadows said:

I was told to do a screenshot.  Well, neither one work so now what?

Taking a regular old macOS screenshot and pasting it into Evernote doesn't work? I think that's what support meant and you may be misunderstanding.

Taking a screenshot using the Evernote Web Clipper works for me (on macOS using Chrome) -- I haven't tried it in other browsers... but, I *never* use the Evernote Web Clipper to take a screenshot. I just use the native macOS feature to take a screenshot and then paste that into Evernote.

Basically, it's Command+Shift+5, position the screenshot rectangle to capture, then Command-C to copy, set focus to the Evernote note and Command-V to paste. (I believe this is what support was telling you to do as a workaround.)

See here for more detailed info: https://setapp.com/how-to/screenshot-on-mac

• Level 5

From how is looks this is a complex thread that could be simple. Complex because relevant information is hidden in many postings, spread over the thread somehow.

From how I read it now:

We are talking about the WebClipper extension for a Firefox browser.
We are NOT talking about the EN Helper in the menu bar, we are NOT talking about the Macs own screenshot ability, we are NOT talking about any 3rd-party tool that makes screenshots and passes them on to another app, in this case EN.

Correct ?

Then it is very simple, although the root cause is not clear:

Firefox / WebClipper 7.26 (which is the latest release for FF): Clips only a part of the selection, ankered in the top left corner. A lot to the right and down is missing from the clip, both what shows in the WebClipper and what is transferred to the note.

Safari / WebClipper 7.28 (which is the latest on Safari): Clips the selection as defined by the user

So it is either a specific issue when using FF, or it is related to the release of the WebClipper, and will be fixed when the Add-On is lifted to the 7.28 release level.

No matter what, I don‘t see it as mission critical. There is a ton of alternatives for screen grabbing, and there are alternative browsers. By exchanging one of the two factors left in the equation, there are working solutions.

Personally I like the Shottr - app for grabbing screenshots. Beside many other capabilities it has its own OCR, and allows a rolling screenshot. When on a scrollable website, you choose the rolling screenshot tool (both down or up is available) and select the width to grab. Shottr will then automatically scroll the whole website, and grabs everything in a (most often) pretty long screenshot. There is a upper limit, but for most sites you get a continuous picture holding the visual representation of a full website.

44 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

we are NOT talking about the Macs own screenshot ability

Incorrect. Per OP:

3 hours ago, pinemeadows said:

Their workarounds for this also do not work - instead of using clip image, I was told to do a screenshot. Well, neither one work so now what?

It sounded like the OP stated that Evernote support suggested they take a regular screenshot which they said also didn't work -- so I was clarifying to see if that was the case and to help them get a workaround (and better way IMO) working.

If I was you I would say "we are NOT talking about Shottr". 🤦🏼‍♂️

Wow - I really didn't intend for this to be so confusing.

Let me clarify:  So I have tried both the web clipper in the menu bar AND (what I usually use) is right clicking on an image or selected text - neither works.  And that does bring up a third (former) capability that no longer appears as an option:  save selection.....it was almost always there with a right click.

Of course there are workarounds - I manage to save items by using the Mac's Shift-Command-F4 but it's definitely not the same as using Evernote....which I am paying a premium $$$ for.

Support said this was a known issue.  Does anyone here have this???

I guess the only option is to do another ticket.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sure the direct way is by another support ticket.

Just to set this straight: The web clipper is in all aspects a free extension. You get all features, if on Free or a subscriber. So of course the subscribers pay the whole show, but you (and me) do not need to pay for a working WebClipper. There may be subscribers functions we really need to pay for, and they may have a bug as well, but that's another story.

• 3 weeks later...

In response to Pinemeadows, I have the same or similar problem. (Using Mac) When I go to the EN icon in the menu bar the standard Quicknote box pops up. At the bottom of the box are icons for capturing the screen, the window or capture a selection. This was extremely useful for me because it allowed me to assemble multiple text selections into one EN document. None of these features perform as they previously did and have been rendered useless. “Capture Screen” just copies your desktop photo without any icons, just the photo; “Capture Window” will only capture the Evernote window; and “Capture Selection” will only allow a selection of the EN window… all pretty useless.

Obviously EN did not intend to discontinue these features or they would have removed the icons that enable them.

A lot of the discussion has centered on compatibility with a browser, but these functions don’t work when you are just trying to capture a selection on your own computer… as they all previously did. It’s not a browser issue. Of course there are workarounds, but if I have to go outside of EN to make it happen, it reduces the value of the application. I am one of those who pay for EN because I have been such a fan, even when I never approach the limits of the free account, in part because that clipping function has been so useful in my research.  You can still do some of this in the browser EN extension, but you can’t assemble multiple clips into one document (without a huge hassle.)

What is concerning to me is they have received complaints and have not responded.

• Level 5

You are using the AppStore version ...

How I know ? Because this version is known to show problems like this. It is the same software as the direct download, but it runs inside of a sandbox, preventing cooperation between programs. EN can't influence this behavior, it is dictated by MacOS.

Log out of the client. Uninstall the AppStore version using the app AppCleaner. Restart the Mac. Go to the EN website, install the direct download. Open it, log in. Now keep the app open for quite a while (can be in the background), it needs time to download your full database.

Using all Helper functions should work now (they do for me).