Tag creation when web clipping

sacredlilac

Idea

Hello. I often clip a lot of articles or websites to Evernote while I'm surfing the internet on my phone. As a lot of this is research for different projects, I need to assign tags to them. However, my phone doesn't allow me to create tags when I am clipping. I can only use existing tags, which creates the need to open the Evernote program after I've clipped something to create a tag for the article. In case it matters, I have an iPhone 6S and the latest version of Evernote. It would be really great to be able to tag as I'm clipping on my phone. 

• Thanks 1

6 replies to this idea

I agree with @sacredlilac on the need for the use case.  I keep trying to find a solution for the same problem where I am on my iOS device and want to clip the article and add new tags to it. 

@PinkElephant - You describe a technical limitation of the current Evernote web clipping design.  But there are other apps where someone can create tags on the fly.  For instance, Pocket's clipper supports adding/creating new tags while clipping.  They have a Siri Shortcut support for their create note step where you can say for tags: 'ask each time'.

Bottom line for me is that I use Evernote less and some other apps more to collect information while I'm researching/browsing.

Before the new version of evernote, using the desktop version on a mac, the app would predict tags when you used the webclipper. This was invaluable and saved a lot of time. It was intuitive and often correct. Now, nothing. Artificial and unintelligent. Also has stopped suggesting notes of my own that may be relevant. Rarely has a program got progressively stupider rather than smarter.

• Level 5

The problem is: The clipping happens outside of the EN app. The clip is then dropped into an app specific inbox, and the app collects the content from there, and converts it into a note. The clipping function reads notebooks and tags from the account, but probably can’t open it from the outside, and create new ones.

This would be a breach of the sandbox concept of iOS, and pose a security risk.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, court74 said:

Other apps do this.

While that may be true,  there is no magic available to give Evernote a similar feature overnight - or even in the short term.  Your request has been made,  and Evernote will consider it,  but whether or when they might introduce the option will remain unknown until they do...

• Level 5

Web Clipper settings - you can determine if „Intelligent guessing“ shall be applied or not. This is selectable for notebooks and tags. You can define tags, or set the intelligent version.

This has nothing to do with legacy or not - web clipper is an independent piece of code.

The option was never removed, your ranting about it is completely off the point.