Evernote does not restart in same window position & size

I'm using version 10.44.8-win-ddl-public (3632), but this has been an issue for all versions of Windows I have used.

This was previously discussed here.

The issue:

• For virtually all other programs I use, when I close out of a program (either by 1. just clicking the top-right X, or by 2. choosing File --> Exit), when I reopen that program it reopens in the same place. This is excellent for me since I use a three monitor set up with set spaces for the programs I use most frequently, including Evernote. However, for Evernote only, it does not restart in the same space.
  • Why it matters: I need to resize and drag the Evernote window every time I open it. Due to an unrelated issue/bug where my desktop Evernote sometimes freezes when I update a note on my cell phone (Android), this is pretty frequent. It's a bit annoying because I'm using Evernote on a vertical monitor with only 1080 lines of vertical resolution that needs to be fit into a very specific and tight spot.

Is there anything that can be done about this? It seems odd that all programs except for Evernote restart where they were previously.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Hi.  You clearly have a specific use case in mind,  but just so I'm clear - are you opening and closing the main Evernote app window,  or an individual note window?  And are you editing the same note each time,  or updating a series of individual notes?  Maybe you could talk us through in more detail exactly which windows you're opening and closing.

If you're editing a single 'log' note forinstance,  why not use 'minimise' in the top right corner to drop it to the taskbar,  then alt+tab back to it (or click the task bar icon) when it's next needed?  Minimised and restored views will jump up and down to the same place each time.

I'm having the same problem, 10.44.8, Windows 10. When I close a note that I had opened in a separate window with the standard X in the top right and then open it again, it resets the size, always bigger than the screen... unless I shrink the note window to the minimal size allowed. Then it will keep this size when opening again. Hum... I guess I'll just send a support ticket.

• Level 5*

I think you'd have to file > quit Evernote to 'fix' the externall note window size.  If I'm working with one or more specific notes in their own window I just minimise the notes to the taskbar or click on the source material so it moves to the top and then alt / tab back to the note when I need it...  this seems more a Windows issue than an Evernote one...

I tried file > quit a couple times but it didn't fix the problem. I have realized actually that even when I pull the window to the minimal size, next time I open it it becomes a bit bigger. It's incremental, actually, so every time I close and open again, the window gets a bit bigger.

Yes indeed, minimising is the workaround I use as well. Over the years I have just gotten used to manually resizing every single note window every time I open it separately. I just wonder, wouldn't it be convenient to be able to set up a preset size for new windows? 

Many thanks for the quick reply btw!

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, SetzerC said:

I'm having the same problem, 10.44.8, Windows 10. When I close a note that I had opened in a separate window with the standard X in the top right and then open it again, it resets the size, always bigger than the screen... unless I shrink the note window to the minimal size allowed.

I'm not sure that this is the same problem as the OP was describing. He spoke of the main Evernote window whereas you're describing the problem when you open a note in a separate window. Similar but subtly different ;)

I don't often use the note in its own window thing but I seem to recall they always open at the same size for each note. For me it is a little too small so if I was working with it I'd want to enlarge rather than shrink.

The main window remembers its size.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great to have this resolved. I also have an external monitor on which I like to have Evernote situated. I don't think some of the commenters realise that this is the problem.

Every time I open Evernote after restarting Windows or my user profile, I have to reposition it (and resize it, as different monitors require different sized windows). According to Microsoft, this is an issue with individual programs not with Windows. Other programs I use do not behave in this way, rather, they open up where they were situated previously (same position and size). I can reproduce this on another laptop running Windows also (one is Win 10 and one is Win 11).

I hope this can be passed on to the developers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

In case I didn't already mention it,  don't forget that the Win key + an arrow key will move rogue windows in various directions including minimize and restore,  and jump it from half-size right on one monitor to half-size left on another.