Searching Notes by specific Date for Every year

Dear friends, 

not sure if this topic is raised again, but I require assistnace on the below, should some way exists.

I have a list of notes that their themes have to do or are associated with specific dates. These notes spread for some years.

So for the example, let's say i have a note that was created on 9th of September 2022, and i have other notes created on 9th September 2021, same on 2020 and so on.

Is there a way that i can create a search that can only bring me the notes that are created "today" for each year? So i could get a list of all the 9th September notes regardless of 2022, 2021 etc? Ideally I like to have it in a way that tomorrow the notes will list the ones for 10th September without the need to change the search terms.

If there is no search way to do this, is there any other way you can suggest ? Maybe via tags etc?

Thanks 

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. If I were doing this, I'd definitely use tags. It would be simple to create a tag for each required date, then just go to the tag and see the list of notes from each individual year. But I don't know how you could automate is so that notes for each particular date show up on that date. But patience ... if it can be done, someone here will know how to do it!

10 hours ago, rlavie said:

Is there a way that i can create a search that can only bring me the notes that are created "today" for each year?

To start you off the search string to find the notes cteated exactly one year ago is:

created:days-365 -created:days-364

You would then have to have several saved searches - one for two years ago, one for 3 and so on. I don't think you can get any: to work here because of the need to use a negated search term.

The main reference documents to help are:

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax

it may be that proper Boolean search available in the professional or teams tier would allow you to construct the more complex search required but I have ni expereince of this.

• Like 1

One suggestion is to tag your notes with three tags: d*, m*, and y*

A note created on Sept 9, 2022 would have the tags: d9, m9, y2022

A note created on Sept 9, 2021 would have the tags: d9, m9, y2021

To find all the notes for any year on Sept 9, you would search for all notes with tags of both d9 and m9.

• Like 2

Hello Boot17.

nice solution but it does not actually achieve what I want because I will still need to go each day and change the search . 
what I need is something like :

show me for each year the notes that were created this day of the month (today)

so each day it will be refreshed with the next notes and so on

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rlavie said:

Hello Boot17.

nice solution but it does not actually achieve what I want because I will still need to go each day and change the search . 
what I need is something like :

show me for each year the notes that were created this day of the month (today)

so each day it will be refreshed with the next notes and so on

There's a third-party Freemium app Filterize which can process notes and run various matches - I use it to refresh a 'to-do' list (created before Evernote had a home-grown version).  I created Table of contents lists where the contents were 'any uncompleted tasks with a due date in the next 7 days'.  Filterize runs that search for me on a daily basis,  adding and removing tasks as the note details change.  You may be able to set up your basic list within the free options...

https://filterize.net/

• 1 year later...

So, I have an imperfect workaround, but it gets you in the ballpark. It doesn't quite work right because of leap years, but I have tried to accommodate for that a little bit by tweaking the number of days. You would need to update it each year to be precise. This search is for the past 15 years. Save it as 'saved search'.  

(created:days-365 -created:days-364) OR (created:days-730 -created:days-729) OR (created:days-1095 -created:days-1094) OR (created:days-1461 -created:days-1460) OR (created:days-1826 -created:days-1825) OR (created:days-2192 -created:days-2191) OR (created:days-2556 -created:days-2567) OR (created:days-2922 -created:days-2921) OR (created:days-3287 -created:days-3286) OR (created:days-3652 -created:days-3651) OR (created:days-4017 -created:days-4016) OR (created:days-4383 -created:days-4382) OR (created:days-4748 -created:days-4747) OR (created:days-5113 -created:days-5112) OR (created:days-5478 -created:days-5477)

In trying to figure out how to do this, I'm pretty amazed at how weak the date search syntax is. It would be good to beef that up Evernote!
  • 3 months later...

@mpatten28 - can't tell you how thankful I am for you. I've been trying to figure out a solution to this issue for several days, and this is the best solution. I have years worth of journal entries that I want to review each day, and I've been creating these master table of contents to put them in specific days. This has become far too time consuming, and I've been trying to find a way to view all notes created on a specific day each year so I can review memories/audio clippings/articles/etc. without the time drain of the table of contents approach. This search feature, albeit imperfect due to Evernote's current constraints, is the closest I can find to exactly what I need. Thanks so much! 

• Level 5

You could easily improve the selection by tagging.

Make a tag for every year, for every month and for every day. You can cover a decade with roughly 50 tags, each note receives 3 of them.

You can simply filter for example for all 19th of March by simply leaving the year tag away.

Use a template that already has the month and year tags applied, you just need to add the correct day tag. Change the template at the beginning of the next month.