Import Folders: Kept files in Evernote Database?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

If files are imported into Evernote via an import folder for which the option of 'Keep Files' is selected, is there a copy of those files saved into the Evernote database? Or does Evernote open the files from the import folder?

I am trying to determine if I will be creating redundant files (and therefore using double the storage space) if I keep files that I also import.

RE: Windows desktop application

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  You're correct that the files are incorporated into the database,  and the folder holding the originals is just redundant space.  It's also a potential hazard in that if you change a file in that folder,  it will NOT change the imported file.  Best to delete the files once imported.  Evernote were planning to improve the process to make such deletions automatic,  but obviously didn't get around to it yet.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's also a potential hazard in that if you change a file in that folder,  it will NOT change the imported file

Actually, if you edit the original imported document in the import folder then it will reimport into Evernote but in a new note.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

if you edit the original imported document in the import folder then it will reimport into Evernote but in a new note.

Accepted - but it still means that you have multiple copies of the same file.  Much safer to delete the original and work with the note-based copy!

• Level 5

Sort of safer to keep the files in the import folder for a while, and only then erase them.

I found the import folder had disconnected from my v10 installation in the past a few times, mostly after updates. It never was an issue to set it up again. But I did not always notice it right away, since if something works for some time, you believe it continues to work until you find out it doesn’t.

My personal advise is to keep the files sitting in the import folder for a while - and if you are running short of memory on your computer, get a larger drive next time.

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I found the import folder had disconnected from my v10 installation in the past a few times, mostly after updates. It never was an issue to set it up again. But I did not always notice it right away, since if something works for some time, you believe it continues to work until you find out it doesn’t

This is a good point. If you reinstall or rebuild your data the Import Folder links will be lost and my automatic clean up would lose the files that had not been imported. Just don't edit files in the import folder unless you want a second note imported.

• Level 5

I have done something in addition: The ImportFolder carries an EN icon on my Mac.

When I drop something on to, it converts itself twice to a standard folder icon while the import is processing. When it is done, it returns to the green icon again. This only happens when the import function is really working - if not, the double animation will not show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Import folders are import folders, and they import what was dropped on them.

If you can’t access the client to view the notes from the import folders, it has nothing to do with the import folders.

It is a client access problem, and should be treated as such. To find out, skip the part with the import folders, and describe your access problem.

Using a Mac

Many problems with Evernote. Have signed up fro Professional but keep being advised to upgrade from free.

Imported a folder but only the content files appeared in Notes. Not the folder itself.

I cannot locate my imported files or how to import them again. Probably my lack of familiarity with the App, Did use it as a free app 4-5 years ago, this I think is what is causing some of the problems

To be clearer. I want to see blue Apple Mac type folders in notes, either within notes or not. I am trying to follow Tiego Forte's book Building a Second Brain and use his PARA system Projects Folder, Area Folder, Resource folder and Archive folder.

29 minutes ago, DJCC27 said:

Using a Mac

Many problems with Evernote. Have signed up fro Professional but keep being advised to upgrade from free.

Imported a folder but only the content files appeared in Notes. Not the folder itself.

I cannot locate my imported files or how to import them again. Probably my lack of familiarity with the App, Did use it as a free app 4-5 years ago, this I think is what is causing some of the problems

When you use an import folder it is only the files in the folder that imported as notes.the folder is not imported.  If you need to re-import a file use the blue x ,"Insert Attachment" , go to your import folder and select the file from there.

• Level 5

A note can hold files, any type.

A not can’t hold a collector (call it folder or whatever) for files. Folders are no entity like a file. A folder is just a set of pointers collecting files into the same logical „location“. These pointers loose their sense when imported into a note - where should they point ?

Period, that’s it.

Small exception: When using a program that puts files into a container file, like a zip or rar archive, you can save this file in a note, like any other file. But you can’t open it inside of EN to get at the files inside. To get at the files you need to export (save) the archive file to a normal drive, and open (= unpack into a folder)  it there.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DJCC27 said:

Projects Folder, Area Folder, Resource folder and Archive folder.

The equivalent structure in Evernote is Stacks/Notebooks; or Tags   
I'm a tagger

• Level 5*

...and in case it wasn't clear from the preceding comments;  you can't import a group of files as one unit.  Either you'll have one note with multiple files attached to it,  or multiple notes each with one file.  Evernote doesn't recognise the concept of 'folders' except that it is possible to group notes together in Notebooks,  and Notebooks together in Stacks.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, DJCC27 said:

I believe it is possible to get the folder also into Evernote. I just don't know how.

Perhaps the closest you can get is to coordinate an import folder with a notebook. Click the gear icon at top left, select Preferences, then Import folders. Then you can associate a particular notebook with a particular folder, so that all files put into that folder will be put into the designated notebook.