Easy with the upgrade ads...

Please consider not bugging paying customers with "special offer" pop-ups and ads for the new plan tier. I've been an Evernote Premium (now Personal) user for almost a decade. I believe not seeing ads is the bare minimum for a paid service, even if it's not the "best" plan.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Yu have some personal settings which might help,  but I'm pretty sure Evernote has considered not bugging people and dismissed the idea out of hand.  You're complaining here (mainly) to other users - as a subscriber you can raise this with,  or feed it back to Support and they might be able to suggest other options...

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

I don't recall when I've ever received a pop up promotion apart from right at the beginning of the new plans when I was offered an upgrade to Professional. I clicked that to see what the offer was and then cancelled. Never seen it since.

I do, very occasionally see Emails but I signed up for that in the account settings...

So not usre why you get prompts and I don't. Try starting the upgrade process but then cancel before commiting. Perhaps that will work for you too.

• Like 2

Respectfully to the long-time users, the personal settings do nothing for this issue. The OP is not complaining about emails; they are receiving in-app pop-ups offering 25% off of Professional for one year. I have gotten this pop-up at least three times: twice on desktop and once on mobile. In my case, EVERY time it has come up when I open the app and start searching for something. I find it enormously disrespectful to users who are already paying $70/year for Personal (which I tend to think is a tad overpriced for what Evernote is delivering) and are in the middle of working. I don't want 25% off a more expensive plan; I want the plan I chose to cost less and I want to be left to my work.

I have no idea why this curse is on me, either. I also got the lousy "weekly summary" and other push notifications that I did not ask for and that Evernote does not provide fine-grained controls for. I ended up turning off ALL notifications, rendering any reminders useless.

@spacorn I fairly regularly tell Evernote what I think about things like this by using Help > Share feedback in the desktop app or Settings > Support > Submit a support request in the mobile app. Though you won't get a personal response to feedback, I have seen things I gave feedback on improve; for example, the yellow "Upgrade to Professional" badge that used to always be prominently displayed at top left under your name has disappeared and is under a menu now.

That said, I think it's also appropriate to bring these things up in the forums. It's good for users to talk with each other about both the features they love and about where the product/service needs work. Plus, Evernote employees lurk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, scojjac said:

I fairly regularly tell Evernote what I think about things like this by using Help > Share feedback in the desktop app or Settings > Support > Submit a support request in the mobile app.

Totally agree.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, scojjac said:

Respectfully to the long-time users, the personal settings do nothing for this issue. The OP is not complaining about emails; they are receiving in-app pop-ups offering 25% off of Professional for one year

I only mentioned Emails as an aside. My solution to the pop ups was, as I said, to click through to accept to upgrading and then to change my mind. I haven't seen a pop-up since. I believe others have a similar experience. Try it and see.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just to make sure the ad is not self inflicted: Check the marketing mail settings in Account, personal settings.

There is a number of information settings there. I have disabled all of them except the "inform me about new notes shared to me". Not sure if it stops more than just the emails coming in.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:58 AM, scojjac said:

Respectfully to the long-time users, the personal settings do nothing for this issue. The OP is not complaining about emails; they are receiving in-app pop-ups offering 25% off of Professional for one year. I have gotten this pop-up at least three times: twice on desktop and once on mobile. In my case, EVERY time it has come up when I open the app and start searching for something. I find it enormously disrespectful to users who are already paying $70/year for Personal (which I tend to think is a tad overpriced for what Evernote is delivering) and are in the middle of working. I don't want 25% off a more expensive plan; I want the plan I chose to cost less and I want to be left to my work.

I have no idea why this curse is on me, either. I also got the lousy "weekly summary" and other push notifications that I did not ask for and that Evernote does not provide fine-grained controls for. I ended up turning off ALL notifications, rendering any reminders useless.

@spacorn I fairly regularly tell Evernote what I think about things like this by using Help > Share feedback in the desktop app or Settings > Support > Submit a support request in the mobile app. Though you won't get a personal response to feedback, I have seen things I gave feedback on improve; for example, the yellow "Upgrade to Professional" badge that used to always be prominently displayed at top left under your name has disappeared and is under a menu now.

That said, I think it's also appropriate to bring these things up in the forums. It's good for users to talk with each other about both the features they love and about where the product/service needs work. Plus, Evernote employees lurk.

Thank you for bringing this up.  Sometimes it feels like this forum is just for Evernote apologists, and I've been using the app since 2008.  If I didn't love the darn app, I wouldn't be using it.  But stunts like this are stupid from a marketing perspective.  No, I didn't invite the advertising and this is beyond getting an email about it.  This is literally the same ***** you see when you try to visit a website and immediately get hit with a "Save 10% off by signing up for.." banner.

Anyway, submitting a support ticket seems like a good idea.  I'll be doing that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Anyway, submitting a support ticket seems like a good idea.  I'll be doing that.

This was surprisingly more challenging than I thought it would be.
Took some time to poke around on the website to get to the right place.
There is NOT a direct link from within the app.  Not that I can find anyway.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?

I could understand in-app advertising to a degree for users on a free plan, but I am not on a free plan, I am on the Personal plan. I have no need or desire to upgrade to premium - it make no sense for me.

Here are the advertised advantages to moving up to Premium:

• 20 GB of new uploads per month
  • Create, manage and assign tasks
  • Connect multiple calendar accounts
  • Full Home customization
  • Advanced search options

• I have never come close to the 1GB monthly quota
  • I have never shared a note
  • I don't connect a calendar
  • I only visit the "Home" when I'm forced to in the iPhone app
  • Advanced Search might be useful, but I haven't been yearning for an improved search experience

So, for $50 more, I see zero benefit. I am not the target audience here - but I am getting annoyed by pop-up ads.

Anyone else think the request for update on desktop is a little irritating as well?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Whatever.

Check your notification settings in account settings, personal information. Reduce it to the smallest amount of notifications you want to receive.

When you get an ad or popup, click on it to accept. Break off at the next page. Usually it does not return, at least for the current campaign.

As long as something special (like a one-off for the first year) is announced, I can live with getting an information.

To contact EN, send feedback or a support ticket.

Thanks righteousDork for the link posted above.

Drew-B, I am a similar user. 9 years, single user, not team user; I already have work Outlook/personal GMail email + Calendars; and I only see it as pressing for another $50/year without added value for me. If they are hurting for money, oh well. There has not been significant value added development the entire time I have been a customer. I was happy with the product when I initially purchased, and would gladly stay without any costly upgrades. That being said, forcing/nagging to press for upgrades is offensive, and as an old boss taught me "they won't change until it hurt$".

I just went to the chat, expressed my disappointment after 9 years of faithful payments, but this nagging is completely unacceptable. If my account was up for renewal, and they wanted to ask me, I would understand. To simply enable multiple nags per day, I am ready to demonstrate that it chases customers away, not drawing them in.

Thanks here folks for your assistance, but I am going to pursue other app options.

I am so disappointed that EN chose this route. Congratulations EN, one less account to maintain.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just go ahead, makes no difference where  - the marketing types will already be there, waiting to ambush you.

Don’t understand it either, why these folks always get a green light for their activities. Probably they see some people switch subscriptions, and then call it a conversion.

However, I rarely see an add myself (on Personal), and if, I click it away by accepting & rejecting, as described above.

The adds don’t come back this way.