iPad and iPhone not always clipping full articles from subscription newspaper sites

Hi,

I'm a longtime premium subscriber. I use an iPad for news and research and I clip a lot of news articles for my work.

In recent weeks, I've noticed that articles clipped from my iPad and iPhone (but not Evernote Legacy on a MacBook) from news sites with subscriptions do not always clip. To be clear, this is from newspapers I have a paid subscription for and am logged in to when I try to clip.

In other words, clipping using Evernote Legacy clips the full article, but from my iPad and iPhone the content of the article itself does not always clip (e.g. using both iPad and iPhone, I tried clipping two articles from the same newspaper - one regulalry clipped fully and the other didn't - browser didn't matter - Safari and Brave and Chrome produced the same results).

I've already contacted support. After trying various solutions without success, I was told that this " issue is an expected behavior in the new Evernote app" (which unfortuantely makes the app not very usable if I cannot know that my clipping did not work). In the end , I was advised to simply clip using legacy (which from a workflow perspective adds a lot of duplicated work).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Has anyone developed better workarounds?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Although you are logged into these sites when clipping,  I guess the request from Evernote v10 for a copy of some or all of the page arrives as an unconnected request,  therefore gets blocked by the site paywall.  If you're able to use Legacy to clip,  what's the problem with continuing to use Legacy until this issue gets fixed? 

Failing that, there's a lot of online web page to PDF services that might replace Clipper temporarily until Evernote resolve things - see https://webtopdf.com/ amongst many,  many others.

Thank you for the reply. I certainly do not pretend to understand the technical reasons why this is happening on iOS/iPad but not Legacy. The same articles that do not clip in Evernote clip fully in Notion (which leads to another issue - a "fix" may be possible, but the response from support indicated otherwise...).

In terms of just clipping in Legacy, it simply is quite inefficient. I do most of my reading and research on the iPad, and want to file and make notes right away, and I don't then want to process a bunch of articles later on a computer when I could have already filed them.

Thanks!

• Level 5

IOS is not using the web clipper. NOT USING THE WEB CLIPPER means it uses the sharing mechanism offered by iOS. It then needs to filter the relevant parts of the data provided by the WebKit browser engine. What the browser grabs (a paywall window or an article behind it) is outside of EN - it happens in Safari. If the behavior has changed, most likely the website was modified technically, or an iOS update forced a change.

There must be an EN client installed to make use of the data, and it imports the clip right from a sort of Inbox provided by the app. Best practice is to open the app and let clips import - if one of the clips fails, all clips in the queue that have not yet been imported are lost.

As a workaround you can set the page to reader mode (most support it), and then print the page into a pdf. Send the pdf into EN by sharing.

The WebClipper on a desktop computer uses the API. It grabs content on a website, selects the relevant content (guessing what is relevant) and passes it through a direct interface to the server.

And for all nostalgics: WebClipper has NOTHING to do with the legacy client. It clips, if legacy is open or not. It clips no matter if legacy is even installed. It is a browser extension, fully independent from any installed client.

Thank you for the reply and careful and clear explanation. 

The article that does not clip from the iPad clips into Notion using the shating mechanism. 

In germs of the last point about the legacy app, That was what support recommended doing.

Thank you.