Where did the template option go?

I use only templates that I have created to manage my information. I use an iPad Pro and the latest Evernote version.

Where did the option to use a template when opening a new note go? It used to be in a “grayed out” link in the body area of the just opened note.

Thanks

Very good question! I’m hating this change too. I tried to raise this with support only to be told the previous way was a feature that never existed. I’m hoping it goes back to the old way - I can’t fathom why they think adding more clicks to do a task is a change people want! 

• Level 5

When I open a new note, and tap into the notes body to start editing, a template selection shows right on top of the soft keyboard. Which templates show there (from the predefined set of templates) I can choose.

To get at my own templates, there were always more clicks involved than when using the predefined ones. You always needed to switch to the own templates section first.

I don't see any degradation of template use - it is just solved in a different way. It would be cool to be able to preselect own templates - but this feature up to now didn't exist in none of the different clients.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

When I open a new note, and tap into the notes body to start editing, a template selection shows right on top of the soft keyboard. Which templates show there (from the predefined set of templates) I can choose.

To get at my own templates, there were always more clicks involved than when using the predefined ones. You always needed to switch to the own templates section first.

I don't see any degradation of template use - it is just solved in a different way. It would be cool to be able to preselect own templates - but this feature up to now didn't exist in none of the different clients.

That’s odd, yours is different to ours. Now on a new note on iPad or iPhone we don’t have a the click for templates in the text body. There is a square list of presets that I have to swipe left until I see more, then that brings up a square list of those presets I have to swipe down on until I get to more templates, then it brings up the original template picker. 

You can’t be reasonably arguing that’s not a degradation? That’s two more actions to get to the only screen any person would reasonably be trying to get to. 

40 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN iOS on iPad Air 5, iOS 15.6.1. You can select which templates show, from the reinstalled template gallery. Own templates can’t be selected, unfortunately. 

F73EF6A5-1DF7-44D6-91F3-129CE91871A8.thumb.jpeg.d7656c7e22521ad44b74b2c0e23ccb7e.jpeg

Yeah that’s the bit, I think it’s really unintuitive personally. Firstly the templates there are brutally bad in comparison to the in depth templates found in the full template picker. Secondly one of the big features of EN is we make our own templates, those were a few clicks away, now they are hidden away behind two new menus - I’m not sure why. 

This is what I emailed support about to ask for an option to turn this off, only to be told by support the original option, select templates that was in the note body never existed and they might add the feature in the future. It would be really handy if support used the app they are trying to help others with. 

An alternative way is to customize the "New note" button in the settings. There is an option "From template" that will bring you directly to the template selection box.

BTW, there is also a displaying bug that might prevent you from selecting the "More templates" button at all. If there are many entries in the templates bar and the "More ..." button is at the very right then half of the menu box is cut off. The cut off part is the one with the "More templates" button, so it is not possible to select it.

61B38C95-813A-4AB1-8B70-6DDBEECDB308.jpeg

6 minutes ago, gewappnet said:

An alternative way is to customize the "New note" button in the settings. There is an option "From template" that will bring you directly to the template selection box.

BTW, there is also a displaying bug that might prevent you from selecting the "More templates" button at all. If there are many entries in the templates bar and the "More ..." button is at the very right then half of the menu box is cut off. The cut off part is the one with the "More templates" button, so it is not possible to select it.

61B38C95-813A-4AB1-8B70-6DDBEECDB308.jpeg

Oh I will change my app settings to have the select from template option, I wasnt aware of that.

Yeah I had this issue on my ipad - the more templates option was cut off, rotating between landscape and portrait eventually showed it.  The whole template selection process has become really messy and convoluted for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In fact the templates are the same as before - I have not noticed any degradation of the preinstalled templates.

Before you could only go to the gallery - that they now allow to define some templates to show for a quick action is rather a benefit that a burden.

For me the most important missing feature is the inability to pick from my own templates, and add them to the quick launcher. But this has not changed compared to the old apps.