Please give us the option to remove web clip formatting

When I cut and paste something into Evernote, I just want text, not a "web clip" which is hard to edit and tends to bring me back to the page,  and not a "youtube clip" image which takes up a lot of screen real estate.  Please let us turn this off so we can have just basic formatting.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Please be aware that these are user-to-user forums, mainly, and not a means of addressing Evernote tech support directly. Perhaps the easiest way to do this would be to "Paste and match style": right-click in  the note and select that option, or press Ctrl+Shift+V instead of Ctrl+V. Of course, that will lose formatting like italics, and probably URL links as well.

• Like 1

Wasn't using the web clipper, and yes I do paste as plain text without formatting often.  The problem was when these previews came in, or what they call "web clips" even though I do a cut and paste.  (i'm not sure how ever to recreate that, it just happens now and then.)  

The gray bar at the top is the key for the previews; I see now I can convert those to plain links.  

I'd still rather be able to set my preferences and not do another step each time but it's better.

And FYI, I first posted under "feature requests" and I got blasted for doing that, even though it seems like a feature request to have a setting.  Then I posted under Evernote support and it was moved to general conversations.  I don't get it.  I can't seem to find how to contact support (they say to go to the forums), or any way to post without offending someone..

• Level 5

If you are on a subscription, you can contact support about technical issues. If you have a problem then, come back here for advise.

If you are on Free, no technical support (only on Account and Payment issues). Then you are left with us folks here, all other users.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, qofmiwok said:

Wasn't using the web clipper, and yes I do paste as plain text without formatting often.  The problem was when these previews came in, or what they call "web clips" even though I do a cut and paste.  (i'm not sure how ever to recreate that, it just happens now and then.)  

The gray bar at the top is the key for the previews; I see now I can convert those to plain links.  

This is confusing to me. If you weren't using the Web clipper, then you wouldn't be getting "web clips." Can you say any more about what you mean by "these previews"? Maybe we can pin it down then.

I find that when I copy material with images and a variety of formatting from a Web page and then paste with Ctrl+V into an Evernote note, I get images, and the text material with simplified formatting, using the standard Evernote "normal text" Sans Serif font, and things like bolding and hyperlinks preserved. But if I then press Ctrl+Z to undo, I get the gray box with the material as originally formatted on the Web, including fonts and font sizes. Then clicking the gray bar at the top of the box followed by the "magic wand" to simplify gives me exactly what I had when I just pasted with Ctrl+V. Pasting with Ctrl+Shift+V gives me no images and very plain text with no formatting, not even links.

So there seem to be 3 states of pasting possible: simplified (Ctrl+V, or Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, then the magic wand); original format (Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, with everything in the uneditable box); and plain text (Ctrl+Shift+V).

Hi Dave, To be honest I am not sure how it happens and I'm not sure how to re-create it (other than youtube videos which are always consistent).  I always cntl-C cntl-V, and most of the time the clip comes in as formatted text, or I change I do a "paste and match style".  But sometimes it comes in with a border around it and says "web clip" and is a preview.  The only way to read the whole thing is to expand that preview.   

I see now on the youtube ones how to change it back to a link.  So next time this happens with text I'll play with your suggestions and see what is different about the ones that come in that way, and see if they have that same ability to take away that "web clip" format.

• Like 1