Preferring EN web to EN windows desktop.

For a long time I never really bothered doing anything with EN web.  I used either the Legacy or v10 windows desktop clients.  I viewed EN web as something I would use if I was away from my desktop.  However, recently I am discovering that it can be quite useful.  For example, I love the concept that I can bookmark the various notebooks (or anything within EN) that I use and use them all simultaneously on different screens.  I now have little green icons for "home" or "inbox" or "work" and I can instantly go to those places from any browser tab. They function almost like widgets but I can choose as many of them as I want.  I am finding that these multiple bookmarks (in Chrome) really do a nice job in complex projects where I need to go to different notebooks, tabs, saved searches etc and pick items that I want to post in entirely different places.  Anyone else finding EN web to be a useful tool?  I should mention that I don't have v10 installed in every PC that I am using, so EN web is almost like having v10 instantly available everywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

This is a nice point. It's possible to open individual notes in separate windows in the v. 10 Windows app, but not (AFAIK) entire notebooks. Trying to follow your process (and using Opera rather than Chrome), I find that in the Web client I can create a shortcut to a notebook; click on the shortcut in the sidebar; and hover my mouse over the shortcut, right click, and select Copy Address. Then I can use the copied address to create a new bookmark in my browser bookmarks bar to click and open the notebook directly, in a new tab or window if desired. (I can also create a new shortcut to that address on the Windows desktop and click the desktop shortcut to open the notebook opens in a new browser tab.) This is a very desirable ability. Given the overall similarity in operation between the desktop app and the Windows client, I find it easy to switch from working in one to working in the other (till I try to use one of the app shortcuts in a browser tab!). Good stuff!

I'm a big 'Switch To' user and use that command all the time to quickly go to the exact note I am looking for. Unfortunately, the web version doesn't have the 'Switch To' command (AFAIK) and keyboard shortcuts are limited to mostly default browser shortcuts (Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C, etc.). But I do use the web version every once in a while so I can do a search in it while keeping my current list of notes open on Desktop. This kind of makes up for the loss of tabs on MacOS.

I think I should incorporate the web version more into my usage of it.

• Like 1

Other plus points of EN Web:

• I can use browser plugins, for instance translate selected text in my note with 'to google translate'
    • browser plugins should be possible in the electron clients as well
  • I can initiate a google search on any text in my note with right mouse click -> 'search google for:'
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, I agree to the convenience of extensions in the browser. I just wanted to point on the fact that EVERY use of a Google service is used by them to collect another data point on the user.

This company has switched to the dark side long ago. Everything they offer is poisond by the obsession to increase their hoard of data.

There are alternatives, and we should promote these instead of pointing to Google „services“.

• Like 1

While testing EN Web a bit more now, I noticed that you can edit off-line as well. You can even create a new note. Everything is synchronized properly when reconnected 🙂

You can't add attachments offline (yet). EN Web functionality comes closer and closer to the clients implementation.

From user perspective, this seems to be a logical evolution: why do we need to startup another electron browser instance for every app in our system, which takes an insanely amount of memory  (gigabytes) and other resources?

Also EN Web starts immediately, while the windows client still takes 10-20 seconds...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, eric99 said:

While testing EN Web a bit more now, I noticed that you can edit off-line as well. You can even create a new note. Everything is synchronized properly when reconnected 🙂

I presume though that you cannot open a new note if you are already offline.

• Evernote Expert

Off-line note creation in web fails for me :(

I enter Flight Mode and unplug the LAN cable from my computer having already opened the web browser version of EN. Click the New Note button and immediately get:

image.thumb.png.0a2dcac4b2c31157dc6331df682c54e4.png

Which is what I expected. No ability to create a new note if offline.  Even so, I do like the positive options that do work when connected to the Internet.

I tested it again and it works in both Firefox and Chrome on a windows laptop.

My wireless network is disconnected.

I unplug the LAN cable from my computer having already opened the web browser version of EN. I immediately get the EN message that the network is disconnected and that I have to check the connection. Click the New Note button and immediately get the new note which can be fully edit (except adding attachments). I can repeat that for multiple notes and the new notes are added and sorted in the left pane as expected.

When I plug  the LAN cable back, everything is synchronized, the same behaviour as the windows client.

So, the remaining question is, why doesn't it work in your configuration?

• are you testing on a mac or a windows pc?

There are a couple of annoyances and I'm wondering if there is a way around them.  For example, how the heck do you quickly delete a note?  Seems like you have to go to a dropdown menu and select "move to trash".  Also, there seems to be no easy way to open a pdf file within a note without downloading that pdf.  Also, as far as I can tell if I do open the pdf and make changes with Acrobat, there is no easy way that that pdf can be saved directly back into the same note.  On the desktop version I can change pdfs on the fly without ever thinking about it ie: I open the pdf in the note, change it with Acrobat and "save"...that pdf is now saved with all the changes.  Seems like no way to do this in the web version.

Edit: Strangely enough, if there are two notes that I want to delete then it's quite easy ie: I highlight both, right click and choose the trash icon.

Edited by idoc
  • Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

So, the remaining question is, why doesn't it work in your configuration?

• are you testing on a mac or a windows pc?

Or conversely, why does it work for you? 🤔 I'm using Windows with Firefox. 

To be honest I wouldn't expect it to work and I'm not troubled that it doesn't. My guess is that I haven't got the Evernote site in a cache and, perhaps, you have. Whatever, In delighted that it works for you. Don't care that it doesn't for me. At least not until it is an advertised feature 

12 hours ago, agsteele said:

Or conversely, why does it work for you? 🤔 I'm using Windows with Firefox. 

To be honest I wouldn't expect it to work and I'm not troubled that it doesn't. My guess is that I haven't got the Evernote site in a cache and, perhaps, you have. Whatever, In delighted that it works for you. Don't care that it doesn't for me. At least not until it is an advertised feature 

Yes, EN for web is definitely cached in my browser. I notice it during normal operation as well, retrieval of recently visited notes is instant and still accessible offline as well.

Could it be that you ever disabled caching explicitly for the web client to solve cache coherence problems (I don't even know that this is possible in firefox)