Backup Solution

Scorven

Idea

Hi,

what i like to see is a proper backup solution for the complete notes.
Rather than exporting the notebooks one by one or even the notes itself there must be an option to backup all the notes at ones.

Although the files are somehow stored locally there is no real option to just copy this local database and restore it later.
Nowadays with all the hotspots in the world and the potential cyber attacks we have to have the opportunity to backup all these important files out of Evernote.

One thing is the software itself which is great to use und has great features in case of note taking and manage documents.
The other thing is a good backup strategy if there are important data in the software which i led to believe is the common case in the community.

So please go for a proper backup option in Evernote as soon as possible (not in a few month or even years).

Best regards

Sven

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Mac users have no problem with a backup, as long as they use Time Machine. It will automatically copy the local database folder with all other stuff on the local drive, and save it.

If you need to restore, just replace the Evernote folder on the drive with the folder from TM (it is slightly more complicated, and I would contact support prior to make the move).

• Evernote Expert

Hi @Scorven!

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your question. The issue of backing up regularly raises its head in the forums. If you search you will see probably dozens of threads and all with very different views.

The old Evernote had a specific local database which was easily backed up with the device backup software. As a result it also had the option to backup the whole database in a single ENEX file but long time users will tell you that this really isn't a good means of back up since it lost the notebook structure. Importing would bring all your notes back into a single notebook. Not too much of an issue if you have a small number of notes but hard work to rebuild everything if you have thousands of notes.  So the recommendation even in the old days was always to export by Notebook.

You can still export via Notebook in the newer v10 of Evernote. So the recommended approach is still possible in the current version.

Otherwise you can run a local backup of the data by backing up the data directory.  I do that regularly but it would be my last resort and only useful in the instance that Evernote's servers failed and all my data was lost.  Otherwise the servers are a more secure backup which will always have the most recent data and structures since my last local backup.

I doubt that there will be any changes to the backup options in the 'as soon as possible' time frame you ask for. I doubt we'll see anything different in the few months either.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

That would be my view. Yes. Now a really helpful improvement in the UI would be the ability to export multiple notebooks...

Or become hard-core and store all your notes in a single notebook using tags to categorise everything. Then just export the notebook 😉

On 8/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, agsteele said:

... Or become hard-core and store all your notes in a single notebook using tags to categorise everything. 

This used to be my approach, but I never thought of it as particularly hardcore… Is it? 🙃

I have actually just started trying to use separate notebooks more actively. Maybe that's not such a good idea after all? 

• Level 5

Depends on what suits your need.

There was a clever guy who has programmed a backup solution. His code is reading trough all notebooks, creating a backup file each (if I did understand it correctly). It is somewhere on the forum, maybe search for GitHub plus backup.