Constant request to upgrade. How can I stop ???

Go to solution Solved by Chuggy,

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. There have been a number of questions raised about this. I think the standard reply (from your fellow users, which is basically who's on these forums) is "Yes, Evernote would like you to pay for its services, and they'll ask you to do so. Since free lunches are increasingly rare, you may need to consider this the price you're paying in lieu of cash for the service." Not meaning to be dismissive, but there it is. If Evernote did like Google and Facebook, and collected our personal info to sell to advertisers, they wouldn't need us to subscribe. They don't, so subscriptions are their only source of the revenue necessary to do what they do.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

One stops updating messages by updating. It is as simple as that.

If you continue to „save“ your money, you „pay“ with your attention.

Which is much more straightforward than with most services, where you pay the „free“ versions with your personal data.

• Like 1

The problem with the advice to pay to stop these messages is that paying users also get nagging pop-ups to upgrade. As a Personal subscriber, I was in the middle of a search and Evernote on Windows displayed a pop-up offering 25% off Professional. (I also find the week summary pop-ups, 'quick survey' pop-ups, and push notifications for these things irritating.)

Edited by scojjac
Correction: I'm a Personal subscriber, not Premium
  • Like 2
  • Level 5

Good you could solve the problem for yourself. If it does the job for you, everything is fine, maybe.

You moved into a Google service. Google uses data from all sources (including user apps like GMail or I suppose Keep) to better and more profitably target advertisements. EN on the contrary is not analyzing user data, even not on the Free accounts. 

By moving into a Google service, you just sacrificed the privacy of your data because you wanted to get rid of some ads. What a deal.

Hint: When switching apps, take a look at the privacy of your data before taking a decision. Most providers do as EN does: User data is private, not to be analyzed, for no reason.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, scojjac said:

The problem with the advice to pay to stop these messages is that paying users also get nagging pop-ups to upgrade. As a Premium subscriber, I was in the middle of a search and Evernote on Windows displayed a pop-up offering 25% off Professional. (I also find the week summary pop-ups, 'quick survey' pop-ups, and push notifications for these things irritating.)

I don't see any of those pop-ups you mention at the end. I believe they can be controlled in settings: Personal Settings and Reminders.

I agree that upgrade pop-ups would be extremely annoying. I made a considered decision to upgrade to Professional, based on my needs and my use of the product, so I don't see pop-ups. But having one display in the middle of an operation like a search sounds very intrusive. I suppose it could have been meant to advertise the greater search capabilities of Pro; but I assume you also made a considered decision, know what the various levels offer, and are where you need to be. I could sort of see a popup at the moment of opening the app, or shutting it down, but not in the middle of work.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Man, if Google Keep can be a replacement for Evernote for someone, then Evernote was never needed by them in the first place.

They would be as good using pen and paper! I’ve never got the appeal of keep its so basic the run of the mill notes app any phone has beats it! If it’s iPhone the notes app destroys it. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Shocking I found this thread!  I am about done with Evernote and the CONSTENT requests to upgrade.  I purchased a Professional version and now it's nagging me to upgrade even more.  Not sure if Evernote reads these, but the the BEST way to drive me away is to nag me over and over and over and over and over.  I think its interesting that one can not call the company directly.

I can go back and use OneNote and not get bothered!

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, The Dude Abies said:

I purchased a Professional version and now it's nagging me to upgrade even more.

Hi. 

1. I think the word you're looking for is "abides" 
  2. I'm a professional user and I haven't seen an 'upgrade' message since I subscribed.  You may be doing something wrong...
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, The Dude Abies said:

Shocking I found this thread!  I am about done with Evernote and the CONSTENT requests to upgrade.  I purchased a Professional version and now it's nagging me to upgrade even more.  Not sure if Evernote reads these, but the the BEST way to drive me away is to nag me over and over and over and over and over.  I think its interesting that one can not call the company directly.

I can go back and use OneNote and not get bothered!

You could have gone for a "hey, here is what I'm seeing [screenshot]. I did this and this. any ideas?" But instead you just had to go with the useless-no-details-outrage rant approach. Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I installed evernote on my iphone and it pops up the upgrade message when i login, but if i click 'not now' it pops up again and again, i can't get past it and into the program.

I thought this message was about how to fix this. 

I have google keep and was going to try this out.

does not look possible today.

• 1 month later...

Paid Evernote Personal account since 6/27/23. No issues and then suddenly, about a month ago, a constant request to UPDATE (not UPGRADE) to some "new helper tool." It pops up many times a day as I'm using Evernote. At first I dutifully clicked Accept, but as that did nothing, just started clicking Cancel.

evernote %22helper%22 notification.png

• Level 5

Maybe something with the Mac's security / privacy settings. Hard to tell, but you could check the Security and privacy tab in MacOS settings, and look for entries with EN that are not checked. Stuff like screen recording or full disk access. If you find any, set them to ON, then restart the Mac.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

You say it is one or the other i.e. pay or be the product, but the centre ground is to make it so that these pop-ups only appear once a week or every two - that way, people might take them more seriously when they do appear instead of subconsciously trying to get rid of the idea as soon as it pops up without even considering it.

• 5 weeks later...

Solved (for me...)! In my case, "Evernote is trying to install a new helper tool" translated as "there is a new version of Evernote available. Please check manually for updates, download and install." 😁

Mac Sonoma 14.2.1, Evernote (now) 10.71.2, not from App Store