Sharing from Instagram leads to cookies issues..

Hi there, 

Everything was working fine. 

I was sharing a lot of things from Instagram to Evernote. Each time it was creating a note. 

Perfect for collecting ideas. 

But now, all notes I created like this and all new ones are unreadable:

It tells me "please allow cookies blah blah" 

I don't know where to do this. 

Please help me with that. 

Best regards, 

Julien

• Level 5

I take it that this is happening with the Evernote Web browser client. Any more details you could add would be helpful, including the "blah blah," and especially the Evernote version number (click on "Need a little help?" at bottom left, then Release Notes).

Generally speaking, allowing cookies happens in your browser settings. If you recently tightened up the cookie settings for the sake of security, or switched browsers, you may need to allow an exception for Evernote. It's also possible that a recent Evernote update changed its cookie handling in some way, and again specifying an exception (e.g., for 3rd-party cookies) in the browser settings may help.

Actually, it happens in my Evernote android application, on my Mac desktop evernote application... Etc. 

I authorized and forced cookies to be allowed for the url www.evernote.com in all my browsers (just in case, as I don't know why and if Evernote applications uses that)

I use latest versions of Evernote applications. 

• Level 5

Thanks for the info. It's beyond me, then, since I don't use a Mac, and am still on the older Evernote Android app. Hopefully others here will offer suggestions. Can you give us the exact message about cookies that you're getting in the Evernote apps? On the Mac, are you using the Web clipper extension in your browser to share the material from Instagram to Evernote?

FWIW, here is an ancient thread on cookies in Evernote:

And here is Evernote's Privacy page on their use of cookies: https://evernote.com/privacy/cookies.

• Level 5

The cookies overlay is in the source website, not in EN. Probably they changed something in the way they are embedding the cookies consent page into the website.

I know a similar effect from some websites that hide content behind an optional paywall. You need to agree to accept ads and tracking to use them for free, or to subscribe not to be hassled. I can accept and continue - when I clip the articles behind this lead page, I always get the lead page clipped, not the article.

Sometimes the sharing in iOS works around it, sometimes the web clipper on desktop does. If nothing helps, you can either decide to print the page to a pdf, and send this pdf into EN. Or contact support, with the problematic URL.

What the URL source of the cookie message that gets clipped? Is it Evernote or Instagram?

You'll usually find tis above the title on the desktop versions.

Go to this URL and allow cookies for it.

Make sure https://www.evernote.com is set to allow cookies and check cookie blockers/trackers in general.

I've found some Facebook/Instagram stuff doesn't work unless tracking/cookies is allowed.

• Level 5

It is the concept and vice of all that „cozy“ Meta-services that they only work when allowed to trace and hound their users wherever they go.

Is it so, so important to make this „work“ and to fill Mr.Zuckerbergs hoard by this cookie exception even more ?

• Like 1

Hi there, I basically subscribed to EN for getting everything into it.

I allowed ALL cookies for insta, en etc.. nothing have changed. It was working, it has suddenly stops, and I can't see any fix here or there

It means for many users (as I'm not alone here) this is not possible to use web clipper, or android sharing function to share from insta to en.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I have the problem that I can no longer save Instagram links via the iPhone 14 pro Max iOS 16.2. It always comes the message regarding cookies. I have already tried many things , 1blocker deleted , Instagram deleted and and and ... 

Through my MacBook I can save Instagram links. Just not mobile , d comes the message regarding cookies. Does anyone have me an ideee ?

Thank you very much. 

Greetings Sven 

E498C18C-2A7F-436C-9F53-A2C0E067EAB1.png

• Level 5

There is not much EN can probably do about it. The sharing creates the content outside of EN. It is transferred to a sharing container, where EN „finds“ and imports it. When the container is filled with a cookie request, than that’s all there is to import.

You could use the web clipper on a desktop computer instead.

Or / and send a support ticket.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone have any luck in getting content into EN from IG? I have had my tickets raised and reraised for around three months now, to no avail! I am really keen to get it resolved so I can share from one to other, this cookie issue is so frustrating.

• 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert

No. As in the earlier posts, it is probable that Instagram changed its cookie requirements and that conflicts with the mobile share function.

You could, perhaps, try sharing via an intermediate application. Try sharing to, say, Kindle or even Google Drive. If that works you may then be able to share the content to Evernote.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the solution for iOS:

In the Instagram app, you need to go to your Instagram account and click on Edit Profile. In the Links bar, you need to add the evernote.com link. Then you need to click on it from your instagram page. When the evernote site opens, you will see an agreement to accept cookies, you need to accept all cookies and then evernote web clipper will be able to save everything you need from instagram. And of course then you can already delete the evernote.com link from your Instagram page.

• 1 month later...

It's frustrating when something that used to work smoothly suddenly starts causing issues. The ""please allow cookies"" message can be a bit perplexing.For assistance, you might want to check out TikTok auto likes for insights into social media and cookies-related matters. While it's focused on TikTok, you can often find useful tips that apply to various platforms.As for your Evernote issue, try clearing your browser cookies first. If that doesn't resolve it, check your browser settings for any cookie-related restrictions. Also, ensure that your Instagram and Evernote accounts are connected correctly in terms of privacy and sharing settings.