Snipping tool does not seem to have a typing annotation feature in windows desktop v10?

In Legacy when I use the webclipper I have the option of launching the annotation directly upon taking the screenshot and typing some clarifying comments before I close it.   I find it enormously useful because certain workflows involve my looking through financial documents, taking a screenshot of various issues and typing some annotations (all of which is done without having to glance at the EN desktop.   I do not seem to have this option in v10  ie: when I use the snipping tool it opens a little dialog box that allows me to annotate, but only by drawing or underlining.  I do not see an annotation option that allows me to type.  Drawing and underlining are OK but a typing option would be far more useful. I find that I actually have to save the clip and then go back to the EN desktop and annotate it there.  Bottom line, Legacy allows you to type an annotation directly on the clip whereas with v10 you can only type an annotation once the clip is saved into a new note on the desktop.  This is slowing down the workflow i used to have and I'm wondering if there's a workaround.

• Level 5

You are mixing the words „snipping tool“ and „web clipper“ here. The Windows snipping tool is an OS function, and the web clipper is a browser extension that works independently from the clients.

I assume you mean with both descriptions the EN helper tool, that installs in the task bar and works together with the installed client. In the new clients it creates a clip in a new note right away, whereas in legacy you could collect clips and typed information in the „clipboard“ of the helper, and decide when to save. I used it a lot, and agree it allowed for more flexibility in the workflow.

The EN web clipper is the exact name listed on the chrome extension that I have installed.  It seems to be activated on Win+Prt Scrn  and gives me the cross hairs  to take screen shots and annotate them if I please.  I can not get these cross hairs in v10 and instead find that I get the snipping tool instead.  As I mentioned this tool is limited by the fact that you can not type annotations in it.  Any workaround for that? 

I'm still confused as to exactly what the issue is. For me the webclipper (Chrome extension) woks exactly as it always has. It is completely independent of V10 - it's a different app. Try using the webclipper directly from the icon in Chrome and also check the shortcuts. The default is ` (back tick) to start the webclipper. 

The V10 "capture screen" functionaility is very different from legacy. There are I believe examples of people getting the windows snipping tool instead but I expect that is a shortcut confict.  Try usig it directly from the elephant icon in the task bar and see what happens. Unlike for the webclipper you cannot annotate screen shots directly during the creation process - I don't recall whrther you could in legacy. 

image.png.8fcc209153e8fd1dcff5f9dc899e363c.png

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

There is, certainly, too much confusion in the language we use. 'Web clipper" = browser extension. "Screen capture " = link from the helper or Alt+Ctrl+S.

Worth noting again that Windows 11 has broken Evernote Screen Capture. On Win 11 use the OS screen capture Win+Shift+S and paste into a note.

• Thanks 1

I'll try being very precise.  In Legacy I use  Win+Prt Scrn to activate a clip.  This opens up cross hairs which allows me to clip text into a separate window which includes annotating tools such as typing.  I can do this on the fly without leaving my current focus or visiting EN.  It allows me to quickly go through documents, clip what I want, add a little explanatory text to it and then continue reading.  I can always go back to EN later and organize it.  I can not seem to do this on v10.  First of all, I can not activate the "cross hairs" on v10.  Instead my shortcut  (Win-C) opens up the "snipping tool" which is not as good because it does not offer annotation by typing.  So  I need to save the clip, go back to EN v10 and then right click the image and select "Annotate this image".   By the way, I have found a work-around for this ie:if you have Legacy opened but minimized at the same time that you use v10, then you are able to use the Legacy clipping tool (cross hairs) for v10.  

Edit:

Just realized that by activating the Web Clipper on v10 (ie: the green elephant on the browser bar), it allows me to choose "screenshot" which then gives me the instant typing annotation tools I was looking for.  So, not as streamlined as Legacy but good enough.

• Level 5

Just to mention: The EN helper (task bar / menu bar) is only active when the v10 app is running, at least in the background. Content is created in the local client, and then synced to the server. The legacy helper could collect stuff, and could be launched without the client open.

The WebClipper is a browser extension, working through the API. It can be used even when the client is closed. It is independent from the use of legacy or v10, having its own release stream for each browser.

• Level 5

@idoc, are you on Windows 10 or 11? Win11 has broken a couple of Evernote functions at the system level, and this could be part of what's going on. IAC, take a look at the keyboard shortcuts list (at Ctrl+/ within Evernote). The current default shortcuts in Evernote 10 do not use the Win key for anything (edit: except Shift+Win+F to find in Evernote, even with Evernote not in foreground). Using Evernote 10 (no legacy installed) on Win10, Ctrl+Alt+S is the shortcut for the screen clipping cross-hairs. Clipping a section of screen with it pops a small window at bottom right saying "Converted to note." Clicking on that window brings up the note with the clip, where annotating, etc., can be done. But I can also click Ctrl+Alt+S, capture a screen segment, then repeat the process any number of times to create a series of screen capture notes, which can then be edited/annotated or merged or whatever by going to the main Evernote 10 Notes list.

Thanks Dave,

I use Win 7 and what you describe does not work in the same way for me.  When I use Crl-Alt-S it opens the "snipping tool" which is not the cross hairs tool.  This allows me to snip text without any problems but I do not have text annotation in this tool.  The only way around this for me is to not use crtl-alt-S but instead to use the green elephant icon at the top right of my address bar.  This then opens a chrome extension that allows me to select "screen shot" and then opens up a different annotation feature which has typing as an option.  Maybe this is a quirk of win 7?

• Level 5

OK, this clarifies things a bit. If you're still on Win7 (like me; expert a thundering security bellow from @PinkElephant), then you're still using "legacy" Evernote, v. 6.25. And, unless you customized it, the keyboard shortcut for the "cross hairs" screen capture tool is Win+PrintScreen. Maybe Ctrl+Alt+S has been designated at the system level for the Windows Snipping Tool. At any rate, you can configure the keyboard shortcuts by going to Tools > Options > Shortcut keys from the menu bar, and make it whatever suits you--just not Ctrl+Alt+S, if the system has already snagged that.

EDIT: Wait, are you saying you're using Evernote v. 10 under Windows 7?? How is that possible?

No, I am not using Legacy.  I am using v10.  And no matter what shortcut I designate it brings up the snipping tool.  I also notice that when I bring up the Evernote Helper (ctl-alt-H) it has only one little option on the bottom ("capture screen") and not all 3.  When I select that option, it brings up that awful "snipping tool".  I assume by this point that this is a limitation of Win 7 so I won't worry about it anymore.  And, yes, I know that whenever one mentions win 7 one gets a thundering rebuke from @pinkElephant but I am working in an office with about 7-10 PCs and they are all running Win 7 and working perfectly.  We have a lot of older software, licensed stuff like Adobe Acrobat 10 and it's all working great.  Trying to change would be a massive undertaking.  We make sure that there is nothing sensitive in anything we do and that anything important is backed up daily to Gdrive or external drives.  If any of my computers exploded tomorrow there is no important data that I would lose.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, idoc said:

No, I am not using Legacy.  I am using v10.  And no matter what shortcut I designate it brings up the snipping tool.  I also notice that when I bring up the Evernote Helper (ctl-alt-H) it has only one little option on the bottom ("capture screen") and not all 3.  When I select that option, it brings up that awful "snipping tool".  I assume by this point that this is a limitation of Win 7 so I won't worry about it anymore.

Well I'll be :o:o:o:o. My understanding was that v. 10 simply would not install under Win 7, per "Operating system requirements for Evernote" (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012107027): "Evernote is compatible with the operating systems listed below.... WINDOWS: Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)." But I just went to evernote.com and clicked download, and got the v. 10 installer. Clicked it, and it did indeed offer to install on my Win7 machine, once I quit the running copy of Evernote (v. 6). I canceled at that point. I'm going to start another thread on this, to see if this is working for others as well ... or at least working up to a point, since @idoc is having this particular issue.

I have installed EN v10 on my computer running Win 7 and have not had any problems (other than that clipping issue which I referenced).  The clipping issue is not a deal breaker for me and otherwise EN v10 seems to run just fine on my system.  I also have Legacy installed on an identical computer running Win 7 and I have seen no difference in performance between the two.  One thing, however, that I've noted is that the v10 has crashed a few times but this has only happened during some kind of labor intensive sessions (eg: merging dozens of notes).  Overall, no problem whatsoever in using ENv10 with Win 7.  Hope this answers the question.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 8/11/2022 at 10:40 PM, idoc said:

Evernote Helper (ctl-alt-H) it has only one little option on the bottom ("capture screen") and not all 3.

The Evernote Helper with v10 on Windows had only ever offered one option whereas Mac offers three.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, idoc said:

I have installed EN v10 on my computer running Win 7 and have not had any problems (other than that clipping issue which I referenced).  The clipping issue is not a deal breaker for me and otherwise EN v10 seems to run just fine on my system.  I also have Legacy installed on an identical computer running Win 7 and I have seen no difference in performance between the two.  One thing, however, that I've noted is that the v10 has crashed a few times but this has only happened during some kind of labor intensive sessions (eg: merging dozens of notes).  Overall, no problem whatsoever in using ENv10 with Win 7.  Hope this answers the question.

Thanks for this. I'll probably go ahead and install it (after using Revo Uninstaller to uninstall v. 6 first). I can see (or at least have an ill-informed supposition about) why v. 10 might overload an older machine and OS during a big merge job like that. I'm unlikely to need to do that, but I'll keep cautious for awhile. This is actually a big help, because I'm starting to get so used to v. 10 that I forget aspects of using v. 6, and it'll be much easier to only use the one. Fortunately, there isn't anything in v. 6 that is essential to what I need to do.