Accommodating All Users

I've attached a screenshot of the webclipper dialogue box. See the part at the bottom there where I can enter tags and notes??? Well, I can't. WHY can't the lettering be WHITE on a dark ground? It's nice graphic design, but not exactly user-friendly!!!

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 8.17.53 AM.png

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Perihelion said:

I've attached a screenshot of the webclipper dialogue box. See the part at the bottom there where I can enter tags and notes??? Well, I can't. WHY can't the lettering be WHITE on a dark ground? It's nice graphic design, but not exactly user-friendly!!!

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 8.17.53 AM.png

Yes, this is a common problem with GUI 'designers' today, ergonomics is less important than fancy styles...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I wouldn’t call Dark Mode a UI disaster. On legacy we hat heated posts by Windows users asking to get it …

In general EN has some open points in terms of accessibility. I would not generalize it into a UI discussion. The v10 UI is a big leap forward, at least for users who work on several platforms.

With the old clients one could believe to use competing apps when switching platforms.

35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I wouldn’t call Dark Mode a UI disaster. On legacy we hat heated posts by Windows users asking to get it …

In general EN has some open points in terms of accessibility. I would not generalize it into a UI discussion. The v10 UI is a big leap forward, at least for users who work on several platforms.

With the old clients one could believe to use competing apps when switching platforms.

Sure, I prefer Dark Mode as well, I use it on all my devices! The problem is not the dark theme, but a (dark) grey font on a black background  ("Add tag").

54 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Sure, I prefer Dark Mode as well, I use it on all my devices! The problem is not the dark theme, but a (dark) grey font on a black background  ("Add tag").

Grey on Black is not the best. Lack of contrast.

Dark mode is not good for your eyes though if used all the time. Lots of biological/medical reasons. I've found switching back to light mode in well lit environments has saved my eye ache... a lot!

• Level 5

Any user can do what he feels works best.

Originally dark mode was developed for nerds in grey hoodies sitting in darkened basement rooms, hacking away while devouring pizza and Diet Coke. I don’t think it was intended to be used in light environments.

If your sore eyes are watching bloodstained on the screen, a harsh contrast of white on black will give you a headache even a tripple Tylenol will not relieve. Grey on black is perfect, if you have had the right conditioning.

Just to put up a contrasting setup …

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

I've seen this low-contrast discussion in regard to other software as well. I just tried switching the Web Clipper between dark and light modes: gray on black is difficult to read, gray on white is ... difficult to read. Conclusion: gray is difficult to read. I just did a rigorous scientific test 😄 by typing some text in the Evernote Windows app, turning the text color to a light gray (like the Web Clipper's problematic text), and then highlighting it in the various available colors. It appears that the orange background may allow for moderate readability of light gray text. So alongside dark and light modes, maybe we need orange mode. BTW, though, it is hideously ugly.

Please note, @Perihelion, I am not treating your issue as insignificant. I'm only trying to underline that light gray text is a useless design choice under any circumstances, possibly created along the lines @PinkElephant suggests. Practically speaking, the only way to request something better is to raise a support ticket with Evernote, since suggestions and objections in these user-to-user forums don't have much impact on development decisions. If you were to frame it as an accessibility issue, and mention (whether you are an American or not) a possible violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you might get their attention.

• Like 3