Details of the 2 devices policy of the free plan

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I'm on the free plan and have relied on it for some time. I have noticed that Evernote has placed more limitations on the free plan as of late. I want to clarify a couple of aspects of the policy.

1. I went to unsync a device and saw a dialog saying I had "2 unsyncs left". Is this 2 unsyncs until the end of time, 2 unsyncs this month, something else?
  2. I see Evernote web now counts as a device. Is this tracking actual devices I use to log in via a web browser, or does it treat Evernote web as a "device" regardless of what actual device I log in from?
15 hours ago, mrengy said:

I'm on the free plan and have relied on it for some time. I have noticed that Evernote has placed more limitations on the free plan as of late. I want to clarify a couple of aspects of the policy.

1. I went to unsync a device and saw a dialog saying I had "2 unsyncs left". Is this 2 unsyncs until the end of time, 2 unsyncs this month, something else?
  2. I see Evernote web now counts as a device. Is this tracking actual devices I use to log in via a web browser, or does it treat Evernote web as a "device" regardless of what actual device I log in from?

Hey. Web is seen as "a device" 

Thanks @agsteele. That answers one of my 2 questions. It would be nice if Evernote specified “this month” in the message. 

anyone know if the device “Evernote web” means “any number of actual devices using Evernote web” or if it counts each device using Evernote web as a separate device?

• Level 5
  • Solution

If I am not mistaken, „web“ is regarded as one client, even if used on different physical devices.

Since the web client is pretty close in functionality, a setup with web plus mobile is maybe the best for many Free users these days. However web only works while online.

If you exceed the unsyncs, you have to wait for 30 days until it is lifted again. Or subscribe for a month, which will lift it right away. Important to know when switching devices: First log out and unsync the old one, before logging in on the new one.

• Level 5

Nothing is really new about it.

The web client is regarded as on feature parity with desktop since v10 launched (on the web), October 2020. I don’t call this „news“ any more, it was communicated by EN and among us users back then, and since.

The rest is simply enforcing the rules that have always been set, but not followed up. For example there were users who swapped „devices“ permanently to circumvent the 2 devices rule. OK, so they put a cap on the number of unsyncs. You can use 2 devices now, but you can’t swap in and out any more.

With some discipline you can still use the Free plan infinitely, but it will not be comfortable. What may be the main point behind enforcing the restrictions - EN is no charity, and needs to make ends meet.