Sync issues on Windows client

Dear Evenrnote, I'm using the app on a regular basis on 4 different devices (2 Windows clients, 1 Mac, 1 Android), but since 10.42.7 update I'm facing severe sync issues on one Windows client! It partially syncs, especially if using tasks. Other clients are syncing well, I made many trials and tests checking with Evernote Web as well, but that single Windows client keeps syncing badly! When I edit or create notes on that client, those changes partially reflects on other devices, e.g. a new note is synced, but if it contains tasks they simply not sync.

Already tried many times all the basic troubleshooting steps, like:

- Logging out and in

- Uninstalling and reinstalling the app

- Deleting %appdata% folder

- Creating a new user account on the same PC

- Restarting PC

- Revoking client access from my account page

I've been an IT technician since 20 years, so please don't bother me with predefined noob-oriented answers like "check your Internet connection". Please work hard on Evernote, since it's getting worse with every update and I really can't stand this! ☹️

Thanks and kind regards.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Did you use the Windows Uninstaller to remove EN ?

In this case try again, but using Revo Uninstaller. The windows Uninstaller does not remove some settings and data files. After a complete uninstall, restart the PC and install again, using the direct download from the EN website.

And check the internet connection 😇

P.S. No „Evernote“ here, just other users.

33 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Did you use the Windows Uninstaller to remove EN ?

In this case try again, but using Revo Uninstaller. The windows Uninstaller does not remove some settings and data files. After a complete uninstall, restart the PC and install again, using the direct download from the EN website.

And check the internet connection 😇

P.S. No „Evernote“ here, just other users.

Already tried many deep and clean uninstalls and reinstalls. I guess it's a specific bug of this release (10.42.7). My other Windows client, which is syncing well, stll didn't receive the latest update. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

So far today I've not been aware of any sync issues with 10.42

EDIT: I've done some deeper checking and find that I do have some sync issues with 10.42 Just not consistent.

I have one note (created via Email to Evernote) that appears on all devices - to be expected since it goes direct to the servers.

I have a note created today which has the title but not the attachment content on the web browser version and mobile. 

Another note has been updated.  The updated version has not propagated to the web version.

Edited by agsteele
Updated feedback.
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, agsteele said:

So far today I've not been aware of any sync issues with 10.42

EDIT: I've done some deeper checking and find that I do have some sync issues with 10.42 Just not consistent.

I have one note (created via Email to Evernote) that appears on all devices - to be expected since it goes direct to the servers.

I have a note created today which has the title but not the attachment content on the web browser version and mobile. 

Another note has been updated.  The updated version has not propagated to the web version.

Issues very similar to mine! Hope this will be fixed soon. 👍 As a paid user I'm slightly disappointed, though.

What we don't yet know is whether it it is a general server issue affecting all versions or something specific with Windows 10.42. I have backed up everything created on my desktop in the last few days - some of which has arrived on the web version with attachments missing etc. I'm going to leave it until tomorrow and see if anything has changed - If not I will uninstall 10.42 and go back to 10.41 and see if that helps.

Yes - there seem to be some Sync issue since v10.42 was released. I use EN on Win10 desktop and Android phone (currently v10.46 on that device).

Having added/updated notes ia the desktop, the Android version sis not sync at all during the least 23 hours. Tried various fixes like above  (clearing cache, reinstalling the Android version etc).

This morning, tried used the web version - that did sync and both my PC and phone seemed to be OK. However, after a break and then restarting the PC, EN failed to load!

So uninstalled the desktop version and reinstalled it from new download from EN website. All up and running and all my 6000+ noyes seem to be there synced and up to date.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
56 minutes ago, Claudio79 said:

Is there a way to open a direct support ticket to EN? Seems that only Personal or Professional users can do this... 😏

Free users can reach support about Account and Payment issues (could be after downgrading).

Technical support is subscribers only. But don’t worry: You still have the other users here in the forum.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

So uninstalled the desktop version and reinstalled it from new download from EN website. All up and running and all my 6000+ noyes seem to be there synced and up to date.

Good to hear. My issue has never been with old notes. It's new notes created on the desktop, particularly containing attachments. Symptoms include

• missing thumbnails and text in the snippet view
  • notes created on the desktop are then missing or currupted in the web version.

I reverted to 10.41.4 and all is well.

• Evernote Expert

An update, having stuck with 10.42.7 I can see that some notes do sync but so far not comprehensively.

For example I created a new note consisting of an attached PDF plus a task in the desktop. In the web browser I can see that the PDF synced as normal. The task appears in the note too but missing the date and time.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I had a response from Evernote CEO @Ian Smallto my report. He says

"We saw these reports coming in late Friday and were able to identify a problem in our cloud that impacted something specific to 10.42.7.  We believe we fixed the cloud problem in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and are now monitoring through the weekend to make sure that our fix is working as it should.  The cloud fix should cause the syncing problems in 10.42.7 related to attachments to resolve naturally (ie. without needing a new client release.)"

I think I can say that the sync seems to have settled for me... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Evernote Expert

The auto update roll out is notoriously slow. If you wait it can take two weeks to reach you. That's why many go ahead and download the installer.

The roll out was, apparently, not paused. Just some back end stuff needed adjustment. 

The slow roll out means that, on this occasion, you'll have missed this little piece of excitement 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

The auto update roll out is notoriously slow. If you wait of can take two weeks to reach you. That's why many go ahead download the installer.

The roll out was, apparently, not paused. Just some back end stuff needed adjustment. 

The slow roll out means that, on this occasion, you'll have missed this little piece of excitement 😊

Thanks a lot for those updates about this topic! 😉 I'll try a new client install in a few days.

17 hours ago, agsteele said:

Been using 10.42.7 without issue since the server side fix at the weekend.

Nope, same issues persists to me. Did another fresh reinstall and login on my Windows client, sync works fine for some minutes (checked with Web and Android clients), then suddenly stops and any changes made on Windows doesn't reflect on other devices! 😠 I ran out of words to explain my disappointment about EN... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Before you ran out of words, did you open a support ticket? Your description feels a little different to the issue I experienced.

When you reinstalled did you use a program like Revo Uninstaller? As you will remember, a standard Windows uninstall doesn't remove all traces of the program.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:23 AM, agsteele said:

Before you ran out of words, did you open a support ticket? Your description feels a little different to the issue I experienced.

When you reinstalled did you use a program like Revo Uninstaller? As you will remember, a standard Windows uninstall doesn't remove all traces of the program.

Opening a support ticket is for Personal, Pro or Teams subscribers only, I guess. I'm a Plus user, or more likely a "Less" user, and I don't feel like upgrading just to request a bugfix. 🙄

As stated before, I already made lots of deep and clean uninstalls, with no luck. I have another Windows client that is still 10.39.6 (I'm of course skipping the update) and syncs well, so I don't think there's much more to say. 🤷‍♂️

I'll stay with Web version until further updates, and I'll stay with EN since I have too much data stored to perform any migration to another platform, but I'll NEVER advice EN to someone else again! It's simply shameful. 😑

• Evernote Expert

I'm not sure I can help further. The temporary issue I reported does seem to have been resolved. Since we aren't seeing this reported more widely it would seem to be something specific to your account which might only be resolved by technical support. I can see that you would not want to upgrade since you would forever lose access to Plus.

I hadn't realised that Plus users didn't have access to support. My understanding was that Plus kept everything that has been available until it was withdrawn. Did that not include tech support?

We can only hope that the issue resolved for you when the next release comes along in a week or two.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Claudio79 said:

I'm a Plus user, or more likely a "Less" user, and I don't feel like upgrading just to request a bugfix.

Hi. 

1. I thought all subscribers had access to Support - I'd guess out of 200M users,  there aren't too many Plus users left so no-one thought it necessary to make a special mention of a deprecated product.  Support have a 'guest' option and (I think) will accept any request that comes under the 'account' category,  so you could at least try tp get some help...  and
  2. It ain't a 'bug' until a lot of people suffer from it.  If,  as it appears,  it's just you on this one,  your problems may be purely home grown.  Try the Revo uninstall if you haven't already,  and check through the standard fixes in case there's something there that you missed.  Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues

Other things you could try to further investigate your issue - if you have another email address,  try setting up a new 'free' account and see whether that has the same experience.  If you don't have an email address,  and haven't already done so,  try setting up Legacy for your existing account.

• Level 5

All users have access to support on Account and Payment/Billings issues. The later is important if a subscriber has downgraded to Free, but still has open payment problems.

All subscribers have access to support by ticket (which will be answered by an email) and chat - except Plus, who don’t have chat access.

From my experience the option that works even if there are problems through the browser is the support option in the mobile clients. They use a different access, that is not influenced by technical problems with the browser (like anti-ad or privacy software, that sometimes blocks support access as well).

• Level 5

Just for completeness' sake, when I restarted my computer today and got the notice to update to v. 10.42.7, I made a test note with several kinds of attachments. It synced properly and was fully visible both on my (older, EN v. 8) Android phone and on the Web client. So from my perspective whatever needed fixing did get fixed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

If two separate devices aren't sync-ing it is either a network issue (for this try connecting via a different network) or an account issue. If support has stopped responding then you can open a new ticket or tell us the ticket number and one of the mods may be able to nudge some progress.

I found that if you install the app from the Microsoft Store (10.42.7) my sync does not always work between devices, even different Windows devices.  I had to download and install from Evernote (10.43.7) and my sync now seems to work reliably. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Let me second this for Mac users: Avoid the AppStore download, get the direct download from the EN website.

It is the same software, but loaded through the AppStore it runs in a sandbox. This creates all sort of side effects, mainly in the interaction with other apps.

Just tried a new ultra-clean install of 10.43.7, downloaded from EN website: nothing changed! For a few minutes it syncs well, then it stops and further edits from this Windows client are not synced.

I'll keep digging for the best notetaking alternative to this shameless disaster.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, Claudio79 said:

Just tried a new ultra-clean install of 10.43.7, downloaded from EN website: nothing changed! For a few minutes it syncs well, then it stops and further edits from this Windows client are not synced.

I'll keep digging for the best notetaking alternative to this shameless disaster.

I hesitate to ask this, because I assume you would already have checked it, but is it possible that something on your system, perhaps a security setting or service, is interfering with the Evernote app? I ask because not a lot of other people have reported the problem, and because EN Web is working OK for you. Also, what version of Windows are you on? There have been conflicts reported between Windows 11 and Evernote, though I don't think this is one of them.

11 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I hesitate to ask this, because I assume you would already have checked it, but is it possible that something on your system, perhaps a security setting or service, is interfering with the Evernote app? I ask because not a lot of other people have reported the problem, and because EN Web is working OK for you. Also, what version of Windows are you on? There have been conflicts reported between Windows 11 and Evernote, though I don't think this is one of them.

Hi, I'm on Windows 10. As already said I'm an IT tech and I'm very careful about keeping my system clean and well operating. This EN issue happened straight after 10.42.7 update, everything was running pretty fine until then. I made way too many uninstall and reinstalls, troubleshooting and cross-checks, the only remaining step is format and fully reinstall my PC, but I'm NOT doing it since EN is the only damn piece of software that's giving me so much struggle! 😠 Everything else is working fine.

Thanks for your kind interest.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Got it. Honestly, this is clearly a serious problem, and beyond what we're likely to solve in a user-to-user forum. It might be worthwhile (although aggravating) to upgrade to a paid account for just one month in order to report this and get it sorted out; once it's fixed, you can go back to Free.

Just now, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Got it. Honestly, this is clearly a serious problem, and beyond what we're likely to solve in a user-to-user forum. It might be worthwhile (although aggravating) to upgrade to a paid account for just one month in order to report this and get it sorted out; once it's fixed, you can go back to Free.

I'm not Free, I'm Plus, so I'm already paying, but just not paying enough. It's a painful shame having to upgrade to a double-priced plan just to report an issue!! 😓

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Claudio79 said:

I'm not Free, I'm Plus, so I'm already paying, but just not paying enough. It's a painful shame having to upgrade to a double-priced plan just to report an issue!! 😓

See my comments above - AFAIK you can report a fault;  whether you pay or not there's https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  and  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new has a guest link you can use if you can't get access any other way.

Hi all, just sharing my story with you.

I have so many device( PC + PC + window Laptop + Android + iPhone + iPad )

All is 10.43.7, but my Main PC sync has a problem, e.g. update the "untitled" note( no subject and content)  to the server, but my pc note has subject and content,another note stop sync, no ideas.

So...... I tried to install Evernote-10.42.7, and it is working now.

Maybe some windows update or an anti-virus problem......

• Level 5

On desktop clients you can go to settings and check/uncheck (Windows and Mac is different) the „Keep data when leaving“, to have the local data removed. Then log out, quit the client and restart the PC.

When it is on again, open the EN app and log in. It will now download a fresh copy of the database from the server. Often syncing issues are resolved with the renewed database.

Hi, just an update: I managed to open a support ticket and tech support is kindly investigating my issues. This far they made some manual backend updates and asked me to cleanup client data and reinstall, but nothing helped. In the meanwhile I tried to install EN and log into my account on 2 Virtualbox hosts, one Windows 10 and one MacOS Catalina. Both clean environements where EN was never installed before. Well, they behave badly, just like my main Windows PC!! So here are my guesses:

- Issues are related to some kind of fingerprint from my hardware.

- Issues must be server-side, since I made those latest tests out of totally clean client environements.

Looking forward to some news... 🤷‍♂️

On 9/4/2022 at 5:59 PM, PinkElephant said:

A VM install can go bad for different reasons. How much CPU-Power and RAM was dedicated to the VMs ?

We had another thread where restarting the router brought improvements. Have you means to check the network traffic ?

EN in my virtual machines behaves exactly like in the main OS. My local network works well, I have an XDSL connection and everything runs fine, except EN of course! 🙄

• Level 5

A VM is never exactly the same as running an app in a host environment.

There is always 1 more layer of interaction, and the VM can’t get the same resources as the host system.

The impact of these differences may be subtle, or obvious. But negating them is against the concept of a VM.

BTW the framework based new clients are somewhat similar to a VM situation themselves: It is App code, running on the framework code that handles all interaction with the surrounding OS and computer.

To come back to the original postings above: You could ask support. Plus users have access to support, they just have no access to the support chat. If you have problems to open a ticket (the links were posted above), it is for me another sign that something is wrong on your network connection. Without network no sync, no matter what games you play on your computer locally.