(Archived) Outlook crashes---help

Abouna

OK, I;ve been using Evernote for about a week. We have it running on two computers now, both running Outlook 2003. One computer is Win7 the other is Vista.

Ever since installing the desktop app we've been having problems with Outlook. The program first becomes unresponsive. When you move your mouse over the screen, soome of the menu bar items will disappear and show the desktop. Outlook cannot recover from this without a forced quit. It will then run normally for a short while (15 minutes?) and then crash again.

At first I wasn't sure if this was an evernote problem, as I also installed Google Talk about the same time on both computers. However, it's only happening on my computers that have Evernote installed, my other computers running Outlook 2003 without Evernote are running fine (and they do have Google Talk running).

Help!

I'm having this issue as well with the latest version of Evernote. Previously I could uncheck the add-in in Outlook but it no longer shows with the latest version. So I'm stuck with either a crashy Outlook or no Evernote. I just uninstalled/reinstalled Evernote and turned off the iTunes add-in to see if that helps.

UPDATE: The uninstall/reinstall didn't solve the problem and niether did disabling all other Outlook add-ins. Previoulsy I could turn off the Evernote Outlook add-in but in this version the outlook add-in doesn't show up in the list of add-ins even though it is clearly installed in Outlook. I had to remove Evernote for now in order to have a stable Outlook.

Outlook 2003

Windows 7 x64

Up-to-date on all patches.

I'm having this problem with the latest Windows Evernote and Outlook 2003 as well.

I can accept that living with Outlook 2003 (IT will get us upgraded at some point!) means problems with newer software, but it boggles my mind that Evernote simply hooks into programs like Outlook during install/upgrades without even asking for permission. That is absolutely unacceptable.

I was living with it because, like you guys, I could (EVERY time I install/upgrade) disable it as a COM add-in via advanced options, but now I can't do a thing about it despite Outlook 2003 and Evernote not getting along at all. I'm an Evernote Premium user and it's going to get to the point that I can't even use it at work because of this (uninstalling Evernote AND cleaning registry items being the only fix).

Would greatly appreciate some assistance from Evenote on this.

• Level 5

I solved these kinds of problems by just brute-force deleting the registry keys that enable the Outlook add-ins.

There are 4 keys (that I am aware of) on 64-bit systems where Outlook add-ins can be loaded. Just monitor these and remove what you want and you can say goodbye to bloat & crash-prone addins. 32-bit systems will not have the Wow6432Node key. Also, 14.0 is for Outlook 2010. If you're using 2007, I think the key is 12.0. YMMV.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Addins
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

Thank you, luckman! I was indeed about to go registry hunting, so this will help.

Hopefully, though, Evernote will make future installers ASK whether Outlook should be touched. I don't want to have to futz with the registry every time there's an update.

Abouna,

Unfortunately, we are having hard time reproducing the behavior that you've described.

When Outlook crashes, does it bring up a crash report dialog? If it does it would be helpful if you posted any details from the crash report.

As luckman212 mentioned, to disable the Add-in, please use regedit.exe:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\EvernoteOL.Connect

2. Change the LoadBehavior value to 2.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Max

Max,

Thanks for chiming in.

No crash report that I've found. I'll take a look though and get back.

I guess in the mean time the regedit is the only choice.

Best deal would be to have the option to turn off the Add-in.

Cheers.

OK, here's some info, not sure if it helps:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: OUTLOOK.EXE

P2: 11.0.5510.0

P3: 3f1380f0

P4: EvernoteOL.dll

P5: 4.0.2.3162

P6: 4ce38e32

P7: c0000005

P8: 00006ee1

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Temp\659851578.cvr

C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8AB0.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OUTLOOK.EXE_b0bda7d1168ec1d3f2e89d99adeccc46e997014_0a8c9941

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 6b367ea0-0331-11e0-9101-000b0d0b44cf

Report Status: 1

------------------------------

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Windows Error Reporting

- EventID 1001

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-12-09T01:12:45.000000000Z

EventRecordID 33453

Channel Application

Computer FJ-PC

Security

- EventData

APPCRASH

Not available

OUTLOOK.EXE

3f1380f0

EvernoteOL.dll

4ce38e32

c0000005

00006ee1

C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Temp\659851578.cvr C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8AB0.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\FJ\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OUTLOOK.EXE_b0bda7d1168ec1d3f2e89d99adeccc46e997014_0a8c9941

6b367ea0-0331-11e0-9101-000b0d0b44cf

And this:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 11.0.5510.0, time stamp: 0x3f1380f0

Faulting module name: EvernoteOL.dll, version: 4.0.2.3162, time stamp: 0x4ce38e32

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00006ee1

Faulting process id: 0x1fe0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb973d9025f97f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteOL.dll

Report Id: 6b367ea0-0331-11e0-9101-000b0d0b44cf

I'm having the very same issue. The only thing to do is force-end OUTLOOK, then start Outlook in SAFE mode (hold down CNTL while starting OL). That works, and then go to Trust Center and uncheck the EN add-in. Restart OL. Of course everything is OK, but not acceptable (premium member).

Don't bother with the registry. I uninstalled all of EN, deleted every file/folder named Evernote, and when traversing the registry doing the same. NO CHANGE with a fresh download and install of EN.

This is a very critical issue. BTW, running 4.1.0 version.

I'm having the very same issue. The only thing to do is force-end OUTLOOK, then start Outlook in SAFE mode (hold down CNTL while starting OL). That works, and then go to Trust Center and uncheck the EN add-in. Restart OL. Of course everything is OK, but not acceptable (premium member).

Don't bother with the registry. I uninstalled all of EN, deleted every file/folder named Evernote, and when traversing the registry doing the same. NO CHANGE with a fresh download and install of EN.

I assume you're running OL 2007 or newer? 2003 doesn't have a trust center option.

___

I've just noticed something else which may help diagnose this. I also have Netcentrics GTD installed, and the ACT! Outlook Add-in installed. The toolbar icons for these two add-ons are what I call "phantom". That is, the icons exist, but they are solid blue outlines and not available for use. (This may be the same as grayed-out, but... whatever. )

Related issue?

FIXED! Received, installed and confirmed that this fix works!

We have *just* released an update to the Windows client that may address the issue that you reported. Please go to:

File > Exit

Run the "Control Panel" application, then go to "Programs and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP).

Uninstall Evernote.

Reboot your computer.

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:

http://s.evernote.com/win4

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

• Level 5*

Now I am totally confused. When I click on the link it says I am going to download 4.1.0.3431 (pre-release), but the version I am currently running is 4.0.3431 Public. Now I don't know whether I am on the beta track (I would like to be) or the public track?

FIXED! Received, installed and confirmed that this fix works!

We have *just* released an update to the Windows client that may address the issue that you reported. Please go to:

File > Exit

Run the "Control Panel" application, then go to "Programs and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP).

Uninstall Evernote.

Reboot your computer.

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:

http://s.evernote.com/win4

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

Well - unfortunately this didn't work for me, though I followed the instructions exactly. Evernote continues to inject itself into Outlook without asking, when installed. It boggles my mind that Evernote finds this appropriate for an installer.

Back to regedit I go. Ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problem; simply upgrading Evernote seems to have caused my Outlook (Win32, XP, 2003) to turn into a gelatinous mess that is now completely and utterly non-functional. I can open Outlook, and it will receive email, but the moment I try to open an email, or reply, the program starts to degrade, menu bar items disappear and reappear in the wrong place, on the desktop (at the top of the monitor, inexplicably); and Outlook doesn't recover from it.

With literally tens of thousands of emails in the archives, folders, etc., when this crashes, it's a big deal to reboot it and restart it.

I NEED TO BE ABLE TO UNINSTALL EVERNOTE FROM OUTLOOK, PERIOD.

We're right in the middle of upgrading to a new box,OS, etc., but I need to be able to USE Outlook to migrate those same tens of thousands of emails to the new box. I can't just shrug and say, oh, well, isn't THAT inconvenient.

I'm a premium user, and this is really ridiculous. The assumption that everyone a) wants EN in their email is atrocious, and that :) everyone and their brother just cheerfully tootled along to Vista or 7, post-Vista-debacle, is equally insulting. This problem has really put me off EN.

Hitch

I'm having the same issue. Outlook 2003 (Win7, 32 bit) freezes up with EN 4.1.0.3421. I don't use the Outlook hook specifically. The problem seems to be either when one or possibly multiple reminders pop-up at once, or it could be when I open and try to FW an email. Maybe both. Outlook does a semi-freeze, which it may recover from. It could also start eliminating things like grid lines from the main window and freezing altogether. EN has been open and closed during these events. I have to force quit Outlook and reopen. No error message accept that, on force quit, it tells me Outlook is waiting for me an action from me.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Event info:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 11.0.8326.0, time stamp: 0x4c1c2372

Faulting module name: OUTLLIB.dll, version: 11.0.8330.0, time stamp: 0x4cb60a62

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00066b9f

Faulting process id: 0x728

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbadbcc16db923

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLLIB.dll

Report Id: 7fe35566-19ca-11e0-ae2a-001320bd7547

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Fault bucket 2225334660, type 1

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: OUTLOOK.EXE

P2: 11.0.8326.0

P3: 4c1c2372

P4: OUTLLIB.dll

P5: 11.0.8330.0

P6: 4cb60a62

P7: c0000005

P8: 00066b9f

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\ahart\AppData\Local\Temp\11503139.cvr

C:\Users\ahart\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8B41.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\Users\ahart\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_OUTLOOK.EXE_c99b80a631c285f2035b4833029e8ad10af71b_1253adee

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 7fe35566-19ca-11e0-ae2a-001320bd7547

Report Status: 16

Uninstalled 4.1 and reinstalled 4.0.0.2876 (which worked just fine) with Outlook closed and admin privileges. No problems yet.

EN, thoughts?

Add me to those very unhappy about 4.xx versions interacting with Outlook 2003 (XP Pro). The Folder list is discombobulated, just to start with. I've reverted back to 3.5.6 but then get constant, annoying messages urging me to upgrade. I'm not an experienced computer user and want a fairly simple solution.

4.0.0.2876 reinstall update:

Sadly, EN has behaved in its same Outlook-crashing way since the reinstall. I'm guessing that the 4.1xxxxxx version left something undesirable in the reg. I've uninstalled EN entirely and will go reg hunting before my next installation attempt. Using the web version only is not an acceptable alternative for me since most of my notes contain attachments and/or need to be sorted and heavily tagged. If only the web interface somehow allowed drag and drop attachments and easy batch tagging! Looking forward to the Outlook hook being optional again.

Just to offer a little input on this issue:

Me and a few of my friends are using the same kind of setup and this is comprissed of:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 + latests updates

Outlook 2003

Evernote 4.1.0.3413 (116576)

Ever since the instalation of this version of Evernote, like so many users here in the forum we too have experienced problems with Outlook, in our case Oullok starts to have graphical tearing of it objects, lists, etc...eventually leading up to an unresponsive Outlook and ocassionaly a crash.

Dealing with this so far have been, closing Outlook as soon has we see screen tearing, usually Outlook doesn't close on it's own....have to open it again and choose exit again and that usually works. Opening Outllok again usually has no problem.

Keeping Evernote (Application nothing to do with the Add-in) closed prevents Outlook from having problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same set up you have nunograca, and have tried closing and reopening OL. For me the problem just happens more quickly once OL has frozen once. Cleaning the reg has also not helped.

Recently I tried the latest version, 4.2.1.3716, but to no avail. It worked fine the day I installed it, but jammed up OL within an hour the second day. I'm going to have to give up on v4 and go back to 3.5. Having sampled the UI and enjoyed the swiftness of 4, going back to 3.5 is a let down. I'm a Premium member and I'm pretty disappointed.

10gallonhat,

Would it be possible to see if Evernote add-in created any log files. On Windows Vista or 7 the log files would be under:

C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

On Windows XP, under:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

The log files are named OLClipper_date.txt

Note that portions of the path may be hidden on your system, but pasting the path into the explorer address bar should open the folder.

If you locate any log files, could you, please, send them to me.

Thank you,

Max

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

I am experiencing the same issue. I have a fresh install of Windows 7 (64-bit) with Outlook 2007. Everything was working OK until I installed Evernote 4.6. Now my Outlook crashes and will only work when I run it in Safe Mode.

I have uninstalled EN, but the issue persists. Re-installing Outlook 2007 does not resolve the issue either. I don't want to do another full install of Windows 7, but it looks like I may have to.

The previous posts are over a year old. Has a solution been identified for this?

• Level 5*

It's done.

In Outlook, the folowing message appears:

Evernote services are not started. Please start Evernote and try again.

I have reboot Outlook and Evernote without success.

?? Are you saying that you filed a tech support request or not?

The previous posts are over a year old. Has a solution been identified for this?

Have you tried opening a support request?

Have you tried opening a support request?

Jeff - if you point me in the direction of how to log a support request, I'll submit one. Based on my previous experience with Evernote support, I'm not confident solution can be identified. This is impacting the laptop I use for work and it may just be faster to re-image and start new again. I'll probaby stick with the Web version of Evernote for now.

Support answer :

"Hello,

I would recommend re-installing a fresh copy of Evernote on your computer by making sure that Outlook is closed as well as your browser.

Hopefully this should resolve the problem."

But... it doesn't work...

Archived