Paste content directly to current note

Hi

If I use the shortcut to paste text into evernote, every time a new note is created. Since I'm using evernote to summarize books and papers, it's nonsensical for me. Right now I'm using my iPad as a second display and every time I drag and drop the text to the note. However, it takes me some time and I have to move the mouse (which is uncomfortable for my wrist). There's a way to create a shortcut that simply send the text to the note already open? thank you in advance

1 hour ago, kiercardo said:

Hi

If I use the shortcut to paste text into evernote, every time a new note is created. Since I'm using evernote to summarize books and papers, it's nonsensical for me. Right now I'm using my iPad as a second display and every time I drag and drop the text to the note. However, it takes me some time and I have to move the mouse (which is uncomfortable for my wrist). There's a way to create a shortcut that simply send the text to the note already open? thank you in advance

AFAIK, this is impossible, but a possible workaround is just paste it in evernote as you already did , no D&D needed.  Then when you're finished you can multi-select all these separate notes and merge them without titles and/or lines in between (advanced settings). This produces a single note as you expected...

I've currently set up extra keys on my mouse to copy and paste, so I just have to move my mouse at the end of the note, hit "enter" and the paste key. But I think that's strange that a note taking app doesn't have this time saving shortcut (nor I know other apps having it)

2 minutes ago, kiercardo said:

I've currently set up extra keys on my mouse to copy and paste, so I just have to move my mouse at the end of the note, hit "enter" and the paste key. But I think that's strange that a note taking app doesn't have this time saving shortcut (nor I know other apps having it)

Yeah, but you may save time and effort by just pressing CTR-ALT-V . No extra mouse keys, no D&D or a second screen needed . When finished, you can get your single note by merging the individual notes (without anything in between if you like)

problem is that i don't want to create like 60-70 notes, especially because having one single note allows me to have always in sight what i've copied and eventually making corrections, adding texts etc...

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, kiercardo said:

I'm reading a 300 pages PDF, so I need to sent the content of my clipboard to a note. I don't use emails 

Hi.  What device & OS are you using to read this large PDF file on?  I don't follow why the need to send your clipboard to a note prevents you using email - my alternative suggestion was going to be: open a separate local document in a third-party word processor and copy/ paste into that,  then attach that document to its own note on completion.

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What device & OS are you using to read this large PDF file on?  I don't follow why the need to send your clipboard to a note prevents you using email - my alternative suggestion was going to be: open a separate local document in a third-party word processor and copy/ paste into that,  then attach that document to its own note on completion.

I'm using mac os. I'm currently summarizing books I've already read; I'm basically coping/pasting/lightly editing parts of pdfs, and using evernote as document editor (because I'm using a notebook to collect everything related to my research). Having the possibility to directly send text from the pdf to the note would be awesome for me

image.thumb.jpeg.1a793f25d80859ee93450fd8d2fc3fc4.jpeg

• Level 5*

My equivalent process in Windows would simply be to have the main PDF open to select and copy a passage,  then swop windows to a word processor to paste and comment if necessary,  then back to the PDF to rinse and repeat.  Same with emails.

Seems like you're asking Evernote to help you avoid the heavy lifting of swopping focus from one window to another - which it can't (currently) do.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

My equivalent process in Windows would simply be to have the main PDF open to select and copy a passage,  then swop windows to a word processor to paste and comment if necessary,  then back to the PDF to rinse and repeat.  Same with emails.

Seems like you're asking Evernote to help you avoid the heavy lifting of swopping focus from one window to another - which it can't (currently) do.

In windows you can do it without any mouse movement: 

Select/copy the passage in the PDF

Switch to the evernote app ( Alt-Tab) and  paste into the note ( CTRL-V  )

Alt-Tab back to the pdf reader again

You can program this behind a shortcut key using AHK (auto hotkey)

Something similar should be possible on a mac, I hope

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I can imagine myself doing much the same thing as @kiercardo, only on a Windows computer with a single monitor. I'm sure I would do as @eric99 suggests, switching back and forth with Alt+Tab, since I also like to avoid unnecessary mouse movements (for workflow rather than pain reasons). I agree, it would be great to be able to sort of "pin" the current note as target of successive pastes. It would make a good feature request that you could make through feedback from within the app.

Actually, come to think of it what I would probably do would be to collect a number of copied items, then switch to the Evernote note and use the clipboard manager (Windows has one, but I use ClipCache, which is much more capable) to paste and annotate, paste and annotate. But I'm not sure if Macs have that capability.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Actually, come to think of it what I would probably do would be to collect a number of copied items, then switch to the Evernote note and use the clipboard manager (Windows has one, but I use ClipCache, which is much more capable) to paste and annotate, paste and annotate. But I'm not sure if Macs have that capability.

Interesting workflow. I guess it would be similar to alt+ctrl+V to give you each clip as a separate note, and then merge later. Your way probably gives greater control if you want to annotate each clip but the other way might suit other workflows. Thanks

• Like 1

Using a clipboard manager is an option i'm evaluating, but still, if you copy/paste 10 or 20 items it can become messy. And switching tab  every time is time consuming (i'm doing this for like 6-8 hours per day), even with a shortcut (in mac is alt tab as well). Long story short, two monitors allow me to replicate what I'm used to with paper and books. Sending text directly will allow me to have the perfect setup 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

As I think you will have realised by now, there is no means of doing exactly what you describe. The users in these forums are a creative bunch who can often suggest other ways of doing something when the application doesn't support it specifically.

There is almost no possibility of the approach you would like being offered in the short to mid term. Please open a ticket with Evernote to suggest this if you feel it is important. These forums are not always noticed by Evernote developers.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, kiercardo said:

I'm reading a 300 pages PDF, so I need to sent the content of my clipboard to a note. I don't use emails 

If you have any form of Cloud Storage save the PDF there then log into the device you want it to be imported into EN on and providing it is under 200mb (Paid Subscription) or 20mb (Free) that will work.  I use the my Evernote Import Folder for collecting things such as this.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

If you have any form of Cloud Storage save the PDF there then log into the device you want it to be imported into EN on and providing it is under 200mb (Paid Subscription) or 20mb (Free) that will work.  I use the my Evernote Import Folder for collecting things such as this.

I don't think @kiercardo is trying to import the PDFs whole into Evernote. He wants to excerpt the PDFs and annotate the excerpts.

19 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't think @kiercardo is trying to import the PDFs whole into Evernote. He wants to excerpt the PDFs and annotate the excerpts.

Again that can be done with Adobe Acrobat DC you have full PDF Editing abilt.