odd task behavior

Looking for some help, anyone experience this before and can suggest a fix??

Background: working in the current version local application on a Mac.

I use a single note and place all my To-Do's there as individual tasks.  If the individual tasks are more involved and need to things like tracking progress, multiple steps, etc., then I have a separate notebook with a project note for each of the To-Do tasks that require it.  I will copy the link (app link, not web link) and paste it into the individual task text.  Not pretty, but works until the tasks feature becomes more evolved.

My problem is this: when pasting the link, I get different outcomes based on how I created the task.  If I create the task by placing the curser somewhere in the note body, and hitting the + button to create a new task, then pasting the link into the task works fine.  If I create several tasks one after the other by hitting the 'return' key after a task to create an additional tasks, then pasting a note link into one of the tasks combines that task (with the link just pasted) with the task created directly below it.  

Screenshot 1... shows the tasks before pasting links.  The name of the task explains how the task was created (using the + button versus using the + button then creating additional tasks by hitting "return" key)

Screenshot 2 shows the same note link pasted into the first task and the third task. You can see that the first two tasks were the ones that combined together when I pasted the link into the first (upper most) task, also converting the first word of the second task into part of the link.  odd.

thanks in advance.

screen shot 1.png

screen shot 2.png

No worries, I may not be very clear.  I keep all my tasks on a single note with links to other supporting notes as an implementation of GTD.  My big question is...when creating tasks in those two methods described above, why does pasting the internal link into the task create two different outcomes?  One outcome is good and normal, the other combines two tasks into one with the pasted link in the middle of the task text....thanks.

• Level 5

This method „put all tasks into one note“ IMHO runs contrary to the basic concept of tasks.

The basic idea behind EN Tasks is to make notes actionable. This directly supports the GTD approach, that if centered about the „next action“ needed to advance a topic or project. You keep the content in a note, and use tasks to set and follow up the next action, or next actions.

You could reach a better GTD implementation when using tasks as they are designed, not by trying to simulate a classical task manager inside of EN.

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This method „put all tasks into one note“ IMHO runs contrary to the basic concept of tasks.

The basic idea behind EN Tasks is to make notes actionable. This directly supports the GTD approach, that if centered about the „next action“ needed to advance a topic or project. You keep the content in a note, and use tasks to set and follow up the next action, or next actions.

You could reach a better GTD implementation when using tasks as they are designed, not by trying to simulate a classical task manager inside of EN.

Point taken.  For me, I have a number of tasks that I need to track and be reminded on, but don't need a note.  While it may not be EN's strength, I'd rather not run two systems-and I find EN really useful and want to stay (edited for info). 🤷‍♂️

Edited by lost_gweedo
added a bit of info
8 minutes ago, lost_gweedo said:

For me, I have a number of tasks that I need to track and be reminded on, but don't need a note.

Same here. I have a Work note and a Personal note and then fill it with tasks. None of these tasks need actionable notes. Things like run a report or invoice someone or update something.

Other projects may have their own notes and I add tasks to these if needed.

I can then view all tasks in one place on Home or in the sidebar thingy.

I quite like EN implementation of this. Works well for me but I don't do any GTD stuff as I'm a big believer of creating individual workflows.

21 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

@lost_gweedo - FWIW I've tried recreating the problem you are having (I'm on a Mac too) and couldn't. It seems to work fine for me with tasks created one after the other and doesn't join them together when I copy a note link into one of them.

thanks for taking the time to try it.  Not sure why I seem to be the problem child....