Can't select already created tags

Go to solution Solved by Cre8,

I'm trying to add tags to notes and I'm having difficulty selecting tags that are already created. The problem occurs on both my iPhone and iPad. I select the tag+ button, then type in my needed tag. The tag appears in the selections but when I tap on it, I'm unable to add it. I've tried tapping on the word and on the icon and it's just not working. Sometimes (very rarely), I can tap-tap-tap quickly and the word will get added. I'm currently using IOS 15.6 on my iPhone 12 Pro and 15.5 on my iPad mini 6th gen. This has been a problem since early May.

• Level 5

Do you have notes shared to you by others ? In this case there may be tags that originate from the shared content - and you can only add them to shared notes from the same owner, and in the same notebook as the original share.

In all cases make sure you run the latest app version (10.36 on iOS) and iOS version.

• Level 5

Hmmm - this is not about notes you shared with somebody, it is about notes that somebody shared with you. But anyhow, you don’t share.

Option 1: Log out of your account, close the app, restart the device, log back in.

Option 2: The same,  but now uninstall the app before restarting the device (dump all data when asked), then reinstall the app.

Option 3: Ask support 

8 hours ago, ClemHarvey said:

I understand how important it is to be able to add tags to created notes . We’ll be happy to help!

It would be great if you can include any error messages you’ve already got to this issue (some good tips has been mentioned here). This helps us narrow our focus in finding the root of the issue. My personal recommendation would be to seek Evernote update if any since the newer version tends to solve particular bugs.

Let me know if you continue having issues. Hope you have a lovely day!

Clem, Newbie at Apple Community

I have not received any error messages; the issue started before my most recent iOS update. The last time I could use EN without issue was in April. My EN version is 10.36.

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

Perhaps you could try the web version just to make sure there is no major problem with your account and that it is an app problem.

I am reluctant to try that at the moment because I only use the free version on my phone and iPad. Yesterday while trying to find the help forum, I inadvertently opened the web version and then had to revoke the device, so I only have one try left this month and I might need it to do something with official support. Otherwise, I'd be out of tries for the month. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No need to be reluctant, user is user. Sure the forum regulars are subscribers, but we don’t care if you are as well. When we ask, it is to know the possibilities, not to stop assistance.

So in your case if you can wait, wait until the 30 days are over. Or if you need it faster, you can subscribe for a month without a need to sell the Crown Jewels first.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No need to be reluctant, user is user. Sure the forum regulars are subscribers, but we don’t care if you are as well. When we ask, it is to know the possibilities, not to stop assistance.

So in your case if you can wait, wait until the 30 days are over. Or if you need it faster, you can subscribe for a month without a need to sell the Crown Jewels first.

Ok, thanks. I deactivated my iPad and used my laptop. All the tags appear to be working correctly there. Edited to say that even though I can access via laptop, this will not be a long-term solution for me. I still need access via iOS. 

• Like 1
  • Solution

So, I paid to upgrade so I could get support. They were able to help me. The solution is: do not click on the icon or the word but click on the blank space to the right of the word. This explains how I could enter a tag after multiple tap-tap-taps. I would accidentally click on the empty space at that time and the tag would be entered.  Something changed after one of the updates. 

• Like 1