Large number of notes updated with no content and no history

Paul Olson

Idea

Hundreds of my notes are showing as created and updated on July 27. Each of these notes has no history (only a "Current version") and there is no additional information (like a URL even though I know many of these are web clips). Each of these notes are notes that I created sometime in the past that I now appear to have lost the contents of. Is there a system problem? Can these notes be recovered?

6 replies to this idea

A few more details: The notes were all created within a number of minutes.

Possibly unrelated, but I appeared to be logged out of the Evernote Mac OS app yesterday (the day following the creation of these mystery notes). I was unable to successfully login after multiple restarts of the app and my computer. The app would just sit on the initial login page and never progress to prompting me for a password after I entered a valid userID or email. I eventually removed the application this morning and reinstalled Evernote. It wasn't until then that I realized a large number of notes appear to be missing/corrupted. 

I have checked the Trash and my original notes are not there. I would expect to see my notes in the Trash or showing as updates to an existing note that I could revert back to an old version. I have been a long time Evernote customer and never seen any unreliability in the storing of my very important data, but this is concerning at this point in time. Hopefully we can get back to the original notes.

• Level 5

This is indeed very concerning. We are a user-to-user forum, but hopefully some of us may have some ideas. My thought would be to first log out of the Mac OS app (to prevent whatever is happening there from propagating), then go the Evernote Web client (https://www.evernote.com/client/web) and log in, and see what the state of the notes is there. If they are OK, then they are not corrupted on the Evernote servers, and that's a starting place. The next thing might be to delete the notes database from the Mac (uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't necessarily do that), since it may be corrupted. A Mac user will have to tell you how to do that. But if the notes as viewed in the Web client are also corrupted, then the problem is deeper, and you would absolutely need to contact support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. This is for paying subscribers, but for a data loss issue like this, there may be accommodations for free users.

• Level 5

The relevant question is: How is the situation on the server ? Open the web client in a browser and take a look.

Everything fine: Reinstall the Mac client (with some details, come back here).

Same problem: Stop probing, ask support.

I have had the same issue with hundreds of notes just gone as of Thursday July 28th. Ive tried so many things to trouble shoot and have gotten nowhere. I suddenly have about 10 years of content just gone and I’m panicking. There doesnt seem to be much if any support from the company itself which is also very frustrating. If you find a solution to this I’d be interested to know!

• Level 5

Hi, @Jlynn100111. Please see the advice given in the previous posts, including the URL for Evernote support.

However, as a suggestion, when an entire account's worth of notes just seem to disappear, the usual reason is that the user has accidentally logged into Evernote with a different set of credentials, maybe a different email address, resulting in the creation of a new, empty account. This is surprisingly easy to do. Please try logging on with careful attention to the username/email address and password and see if this gets you back to your notes. If not, then as above.

Agreed @Jlynn100111 - Support has been nonexistent. A first level support person spent days collecting information and then passed me on and I have heard nothing. I have asked for updates on the situation and nothing. Without some type of root cause to the disappearance of these notes I don't how I can continue to pay for something that is unpredictable without some means for recovery.  If I continue using Evernote I will definitely need to backup more often, but the trust with the service was one of those things that made this so attractive. Without that I am left to manage backups and it just isn't that easy to backup the entire database or just incremental notes with the tools provided from the company.