Please Remove Good Morning From The Header. I'm Going To Cry.

Mozz

Idea

Oh my goodness. I'm writing this and obsessing over the Good Morning prompt in the header instead of being productive and tackling my daily - because I'm wildly obsessive and hyperactive.

Why, oh why is there not a simple toggle switch that can remove the Good Morning prompt from the header. We understand your desire to be welcoming and warm - but I'm afraid it misses the mark when we're all quite aware that Evernote has not become sentient enough to wish a Good Morning on it's own. 

How many times do you wish the same person a good morning in a day? 3 times? 6 times? Several dozen times? You would sound like a crazy person.

If you insist on keeping the Good Morning/Good Afternoon prompt active, maybe just flash it once... like a not insane robot.

Something so simple can make such a huge impact. It comes off as insincere to be quite honest. Maybe because the font is so large. If it were the same font size as the date and time (which arguably is so much more important than your software's social etiquette) then perhaps it would not be so pronounced. Reduce the font size? At least un-bold the darn thing. Give us the option to remove it all together or replace it with fun inspiration quotes that won't make some of us bash their heads against a keyboard or mobile device respectively. Because it's going to happen. Someone (me) is going to bash their head into a phone and get an eyeful of gorilla glass if Evernote wishes me one more Good Morning. 

Please do not be responsible for the loss of my eye. 

To be fair - Does anyone here actually enjoy the Good Morning prompt?

Enclosed image expertly created using MSPaint.

why.thumb.png.b709963a8e79d2373f9e0cdf1bdb0e03.png 

• Like 2

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5

LOL - Super easy - just open EN at noon at the erliest, better only in the evening.

You will never be greeted with "Good morning" ever again.

Or how they said in the radio: "Good afternoon, dear listeners, good morning, dear students ...".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mozz said:

To be fair - Does anyone here actually enjoy the Good Morning prompt?

Well, I  hardly ever see it because I rarely use the Home page on Desktop and on mobile I don't really notice it for some reason. So I actually even forgot it was a thing.

But, yeah - I actually kind of like it. At the worst, I don't mind it.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I hadn't noticed it,  and don't much care one way or the other.  Seems to me lots of software gives users a faux happy greeting,  just to be polite but hey if it bugs you and you're a subscriber you will have access to customise the home page - not saying you can opt to remove the greeting (I just don't know) but you may be able to cover or shrink it with lots of new widgets...

40 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Is this a joke? It’s gotta be surely? Of all the things to complain about I never imagined being offered a good morning would be one of them. Man, I’m lost for words!

Dear Sir and/or Madam,

This is most certainly not a joke. Perhaps I simply don't share your cheerful and buttery disposition in life. I could just be a crotchety old grump. Or I value my screen's real estate and wish to have the option of what appears on the world's most advanced note taking and productivity tool. Who you callin' Shirley? The Good Morning is hardly an offering, so much as a line of code written to dynamically display our chosen usernames in an attempt to connect with us on personal level. 

I'm sure it was written into the program with the best of intentions. I am also a grand advocate for the ability to choose. 

Until a solution can be found, I will try to adopt your optimistic outlook on the world. One in which a robot's pleasant greeting can warm the heart just as much as a hug from a loved one.why.thumb.png.e61ef56f50a78750dc0a4f19b3f486d2.png

46 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

LOL - Super easy - just open EN at noon at the erliest, better only in the evening.

You will never be greeted with "Good morning" ever again.

Or how they said in the radio: "Good afternoon, dear listeners, good morning, dear students ...".

You... are a Genius! Also a brand new way to rationalize setting my alarm clock for 12:00pm. Today marked the last sunrise I will ever see. 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
7 minutes ago, Mozz said:

You... are a Genius! Also a brand new way to rationalize setting my alarm clock for 12:00pm. Today marked the last sunrise I will ever see. 

☺️ 😇 If you then greet the sunset with a cool beer, you get into the mood where a friendly "Good morning" by a bot able to read the clock and pick a greeting from a predefined set will not bother you any more.

Hit the steel drum, don't worry, be happy!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mozz said:

Dear Sir and/or Madam,

This is most certainly not a joke. Perhaps I simply don't share your cheerful and buttery disposition in life. I could just be a crotchety old grump. Or I value my screen's real estate and wish to have the option of what appears on the world's most advanced note taking and productivity tool. Who you callin' Shirley? The Good Morning is hardly an offering, so much as a line of code written to dynamically display our chosen usernames in an attempt to connect with us on personal level. 

I'm sure it was written into the program with the best of intentions. I am also a grand advocate for the ability to choose. 

Until a solution can be found, I will try to adopt your optimistic outlook on the world. One in which a robot's pleasant greeting can warm the heart just as much as a hug from a loved one.why.thumb.png.e61ef56f50a78750dc0a4f19b3f486d2.png

It’s literally two words! Two words which are a custom in our culture. And you come here writing and ranting over two words. Let me be blunt - you should thank your lucky stars your life is so easy two words at the top of a screen can cause you this much trouble because many of us don’t have the cheery lives you seem to think - we have actual troubles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

It’s literally two words! Two words which are a custom in our culture. And you come here writing and ranting over two words. Let me be blunt - you should thank your lucky stars your life is so easy two words at the top of a screen can cause you this much trouble because many of us don’t have the cheery lives you seem to think - we have actual troubles, and these mean we don’t react in such a nonsensical way to a programme having two words at the top of the screen! 

Dearest Madam and/or Sir,

I have not yet begun to rant, and I hardly call this writing. We can spend a lifetime discussing the anthropological nature of cultural customs, or bestowing points of importance to things that some people take issue with while others denote them as nonsensical and trivial. Is this not the beauty of humanity? Our differences in opinion, taste, and (for some of us) our ability to choose?

My life is easy because the creator deemed it so during the time of selection. Or I overcame physical, mental, and socioeconomic obstacles to achieve such great heights that I am now awarded the luxury of submitting public support tickets on a forum for a piece of software that may or may not bring order to an otherwise chaotic world.

Anyone finding themselves plagued with true and actual troubles would serve themselves well to drop everything and seek immediate assistance from a mental health professional, a counselor, a spiritual leader, or shake a fist to the creator in the sky for not having been granted a more desirable position during the time of selection.

*By the way. Does anyone know how to get rid of the Good Morning (Good Afternoon/Good Evening) prompt at the top of the program? It's driving me absolutely bonkers! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

These greetings are a waste of space ("screen real estate") and a placeholder for something useful.

They're now everywhere and I hate them, too. I get the other users' point, and I also get the impression they wouldn't mind if the greeting wouldn't be shown.

By the way there's research showing pseudo-human, anthropomorphic software design leads to stronger emotional responses (tested with chatbots). Google "when chatbots are too human". To me there's nothing more pseudo-human than these greetings.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

“Waste of screen real estate“ - as if you would be charged for every square cm you see … Maybe we should all agree that we don’t post and don’t work on obvious „First World Problems“.

Life is really to short for these discussions.

If you want to convince EN, use the feedback function or send a support ticket. As another user I have had a hard time to prevent neck damage from viciously shaking my head while reading !

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

“Waste of screen real estate“ - as if you would be charged for every square cm you see … Maybe we should all agree that we don’t post and don’t work on obvious „First World Problems“.

Life is really to short for these discussions.

If you want to convince EN, use the feedback function or send a support ticket. As another user I have had a hard time to prevent neck damage from viciously shaking my head while reading !

Surely we must all gather and have a massive competition of Rock Paper Scissors and decide the fate of this clearly destructive greeting.  

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*

Hi everyone - as senior killjoy around here I feel bound to comment that this thread is clearly important to some users,  whilst also being a bit of an incendiary waste of time to others.  The Invision Community,  who in their infinite wisdom have facilitated these discussions,  have also provided us with ways to follow,  or to ignore both people and threads - not to mention the inalienable ability for any adult to just not read stuff they disagree with if it causes them to chew on their carpet.

By which long comment I mean - keep it technical and civil please,  and remember there is a Code of Conduct...

Felt an obligation to chime in as the thread launcher, don't mean to ruffle any feathers. Such a seemingly simple thing could open much larger existential and human conversations which may best serve closed on this particular platform. Such as how we are to collectively agree when an individual's problem is obvious, or if that perceived problem is worthy of attention outside of a critical 'second or third world' scenario. And what exactly constitutes a first world problem, here within what could be considered a first world piece of software. That would all be treading much too dangerous language and classification, far removed from anything technical or relevant.

Unless we're ready to dust off the Trapper Keeper, hole puncher, and index cards for a truly analog experience in which we have ultimate control then here we are. All together. All friendly and such.

The developers were kind enough to create a space for us to voice suggestion and opinion. I'll admit that my little gripe should be way down on the list of feature implementations and bug fixes (not too far down please), but is nevertheless something that was seen. How does that fun airport saying go ... If you see something, say something? Every small and seemingly insignificant improvement contributes to the grand design. 

I still hold fast to my belief that one should be given option to view this greeting or not. A toggle switch. A radio button. A checkbox. Display greeting? [X]

This thread alone has made robot's greeting a tad more bearable. The absurdity of our dialogue almost prompts a chuckle. I also changed my display name to Master so that when the day of reckoning comes, robot will have already been swearing fealty to me for some time. In case they attack. The robots, that is.

quo.thumb.png.d4490f5ddfa4694e934bc65eec627336.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/24/2022 at 11:11 PM, Mozz said:

should be way down on the list of feature implementations and bug fixes (not too far down please)

This is for the whole community to decide. If no significant amount of users gives importance to this topic, I’m perfectly fine. We should not, however, decide such topics by introducing some blurry moral standars by which to measure its importance.

And please all of you don’t get me wrong either, I’m chuckling as well.