Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've been using Evernote for perhaps 10 years or so. Today I've been experiencing some technical issues as my Windows Evernote app somehow refuses to synchronize my notes (see attached screenshot). So I am wondering if this is something temporary or the company has just started implementing any new discriminating rules for users in Russia based on their IP addresses (due to on-going conflict in Ukraine, for instance).

PS. Btw I had to use VPN in order to report the problem because the forum didn't let me in till I changed my IP address from Russia to UK.

 

Thanks in advance for your support.

111.jpg

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Well, Russia is under boycott. Furthermore the Russian government is implementing measures to block the free access from Russia to services and information outside of their control (read censorship).

I won’t start a discussion about the reasons here, but you may see a situation when every cloud service will only be accessible through a VPN. The same is probably true for payments.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Well, Russia is under boycott. Furthermore the Russian government is implementing measures to block the free access from Russia to services and information outside of their control (read censorship).

I won’t start a discussion about the reasons here, but you may see a situation when every cloud service will only be accessible through a VPN. The same is probably true for payments.

Well, I don't seem to understand, so I ask again: Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

Hmmn - Can't speculate on reasons; I've had VPN connections refused because some server somewhere doesn't like my IP address (presumably for reasons of spam - I'm in Wales and the only people we offend are usually the English).  I've also had days when sync didn't work for hours,  then suddenly picked up as normal.  I'd wait for an official reaction if you got a ticket number!

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

Sorry - should have said: we're mainly other users here.  Reach out to Support for the official word.

Link to comment

In Russia we have an official government online service that allows us to check whether a particular IP and doman has been blocked by the State. It is also possible to use the following website to do the same  https://isitblockedinrussia.com/ 

It currently says that evernote.com is NOT blocked. What other IP addresses for Evernote should I check? 

Link to comment
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Well, I don't seem to understand, so I ask again: Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

You may have been blocked, but from what I see in the forum it is much more likely you were blocked by your own government.

As suggested by @gazumped, ask support to get an official statement.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sorry - should have said: we're mainly other users here.  Reach out to Support for the official word.

Yeah, sure, I've used that one once before and shared my experience after that :)

  Anyway, if all of us are "normal users" here, then why would you respond to my question if you ain't certain of what's going on in real? 

Link to comment
  • Level 5

We do know what is going on in Ukraine, with all the ugly details …

In fact I don’t care if connecting from Russia is still a possibility. If you want to find out, you got all the advise you need.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

why would you respond to my question if you ain't certain of what's going on in real?

...Because like I said,  I've had 'no sync' days of my own,  and I wanted to point out that any opinions you get here - unless they come from someone with 'EMPLOYEE' in their profile - are just opinions.  The deal with the forum includes no abuse / no politics,  so we can keep the horrible realities of the world away from the technical situation.  Filling in the Support form will get you a ticket number,  and within (usually) a few days,  some kind of answer. I'd honestly be surprised if Evernote had sanctioned your IP address in some way - the company has no obvious motive to exclude its users in any geographic or political location.  If you can get a ticket number please quote it here and I'll see whether a forum Admin can confirm one way or another.

Link to comment

Just in case someone else from Russia may pop in with the same issue to report or to search.

The problem is due to Yandex.DNS. They are the providers of the family filter service, that many routers in Russia have as a built-in option. Once the option is turned off in router's settings, Evernote starts working without a hitch again.   

I've already reported the problem to our local idiots via dns@support.yandex.ru, you may join the effort to restore the order by sharing your own feedbacks too. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...Because like I said,  I've had 'no sync' days of my own,  and I wanted to point out that any opinions you get here - unless they come from someone with 'EMPLOYEE' in their profile - are just opinions. 

Well, I don't have time for all that stuff to comment. Ideally, I'd imagine someone from the staff or forum moderators or more experienced users should have provided some rapid technical guidance on how to deal with the typical situation I've encountered in order to help to solve it fast (including what settings to check first? etc ).   Such synchronization issues must have been reported many times before, it is not new to both the support and local loiterers (forgive me my bad English to say that)    

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

synchronization issues must have been reported many times before,

Yup - we even have a help sheet for that - Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues - though I think it's safe to say that as we've never before had a query about possible sanctions against a specific country,  it would not have helped you.  The way to get the sort of coherent help you were looking for is to contact Support.

Link to comment
43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The way to get the sort of coherent help you were looking for is to contact Support.

Why don't we shut the forum if there is no use except for "contact the Support" anyway?

We can mix together and have chit chats somewhere else, and there are plenty of interesting folks around to stick to, I am sure

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...