Hi all,

I've been using Evernote for perhaps 10 years or so. Today I've been experiencing some technical issues as my Windows Evernote app somehow refuses to synchronize my notes (see attached screenshot). So I am wondering if this is something temporary or the company has just started implementing any new discriminating rules for users in Russia based on their IP addresses (due to on-going conflict in Ukraine, for instance).

PS. Btw I had to use VPN in order to report the problem because the forum didn't let me in till I changed my IP address from Russia to UK.

Thanks in advance for your support.

111.jpg

• Level 5

Well, Russia is under boycott. Furthermore the Russian government is implementing measures to block the free access from Russia to services and information outside of their control (read censorship).

I won’t start a discussion about the reasons here, but you may see a situation when every cloud service will only be accessible through a VPN. The same is probably true for payments.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Well, Russia is under boycott. Furthermore the Russian government is implementing measures to block the free access from Russia to services and information outside of their control (read censorship).

I won’t start a discussion about the reasons here, but you may see a situation when every cloud service will only be accessible through a VPN. The same is probably true for payments.

Well, I don't seem to understand, so I ask again: Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

• Level 5*

Hmmn - Can't speculate on reasons; I've had VPN connections refused because some server somewhere doesn't like my IP address (presumably for reasons of spam - I'm in Wales and the only people we offend are usually the English).  I've also had days when sync didn't work for hours,  then suddenly picked up as normal.  I'd wait for an official reaction if you got a ticket number!

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

Sorry - should have said: we're mainly other users here.  Reach out to Support for the official word.

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

Well, I don't seem to understand, so I ask again: Has Evernote blocked users from Russia today based on their IP or not?

You may have been blocked, but from what I see in the forum it is much more likely you were blocked by your own government.

As suggested by @gazumped, ask support to get an official statement.

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sorry - should have said: we're mainly other users here.  Reach out to Support for the official word.

Yeah, sure, I've used that one once before and shared my experience after that :)

Anyway, if all of us are "normal users" here, then why would you respond to my question if you ain't certain of what's going on in real? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

why would you respond to my question if you ain't certain of what's going on in real?

...Because like I said,  I've had 'no sync' days of my own,  and I wanted to point out that any opinions you get here - unless they come from someone with 'EMPLOYEE' in their profile - are just opinions.  The deal with the forum includes no abuse / no politics,  so we can keep the horrible realities of the world away from the technical situation.  Filling in the Support form will get you a ticket number,  and within (usually) a few days,  some kind of answer. I'd honestly be surprised if Evernote had sanctioned your IP address in some way - the company has no obvious motive to exclude its users in any geographic or political location.  If you can get a ticket number please quote it here and I'll see whether a forum Admin can confirm one way or another.

Just in case someone else from Russia may pop in with the same issue to report or to search.

The problem is due to Yandex.DNS. They are the providers of the family filter service, that many routers in Russia have as a built-in option. Once the option is turned off in router's settings, Evernote starts working without a hitch again.   

I've already reported the problem to our local idiots via dns@support.yandex.ru, you may join the effort to restore the order by sharing your own feedbacks too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...Because like I said,  I've had 'no sync' days of my own,  and I wanted to point out that any opinions you get here - unless they come from someone with 'EMPLOYEE' in their profile - are just opinions. 

Well, I don't have time for all that stuff to comment. Ideally, I'd imagine someone from the staff or forum moderators or more experienced users should have provided some rapid technical guidance on how to deal with the typical situation I've encountered in order to help to solve it fast (including what settings to check first? etc ).   Such synchronization issues must have been reported many times before, it is not new to both the support and local loiterers (forgive me my bad English to say that)    

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jimmy Bionic said:

synchronization issues must have been reported many times before,

Yup - we even have a help sheet for that - Tips for troubleshooting syncing issues - though I think it's safe to say that as we've never before had a query about possible sanctions against a specific country,  it would not have helped you.  The way to get the sort of coherent help you were looking for is to contact Support.

43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The way to get the sort of coherent help you were looking for is to contact Support.

Why don't we shut the forum if there is no use except for "contact the Support" anyway?

We can mix together and have chit chats somewhere else, and there are plenty of interesting folks around to stick to, I am sure