Sluggish/Performance Issue resulting in loss of data within a note

Go to solution Solved by NoteNerd3000,

I have been monitoring sluggish performance in this other thread, but because on several occasions I have now noticed that some of the text I have written in a note goes missing, I am creating a new topic.

Problem Description: Upon creating a new note, typing text in the body of the note, and then clicking the green checkmark at the top left to save, there is sometimes a long delay of 5-20 seconds. It is unclear if the green checkmark was unresponsive or if the app recognized the tap and is just loading, so occasionally I tap it again. Upon backing out into the list of all my notes, the body of the note that I had just created is sometimes missing the last sentence that I had typed.

System Specs:

• iPhone X on iOS 15.5, Evernote v10.36

• Free trial of Personal membership.

• All notebooks are downloaded for offline use

• All other apps are closed

• Tested over Wi-Fi (60Mbps connection) as well as on a 4G LTE connection

Additional symptoms of sluggish performance include:

• Upon creating a new note, even after typing in the body of the note, the green checkmark at the top left is greyed out (unclickable) for 5-10 seconds, meaning I cannot save the note until that green checkmark is clickable.
  • Upon clicking the green checkmark, clicking the green < arrow to go back (i.e. to the previous screen) is non responsive, requires 5-15 seconds of waiting until it will respond.
  • Upon taking a photo within a note by clicking on the camera icon, it takes 5-20 seconds for the photo to finish loading and display in the note
  • When clicking the "add tag" icon, it takes 2-5 seconds (it's not snappy)
  • After selecting which tags should be associated with the note, when clicking “done” on the add tags screen, the "done" button is unresponsive for 5-20 seconds.

Contrastingly, the iOS Notes App and OneNote app on iOS are not sluggish at all. They are extremely responsive/snappy.

Update: I’m not experiencing the issue after signing out, uninstalling the app, and reinstalling it several times.

At first, it was starting to appear as if the adding new iOS widget, or downloading the notebook for offline use was causing the issue, but after several reinstalls things appear to be fine.

I will report back with screen recordings if the issue resurfaces and if I can reproduce it.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, sluggish performance on iOS has returned. The amount of sluggishness is sporadic, but overall it makes the app difficult to use reliably.

Additionally, I feel very uneasy writing notes because when it behaves sluggish, there is no guarantee that all the text I write will get saved!

This occurs over Wi-Fi and 4G LTE. It becomes a bit faster when I turn on Airplane mode, but not by much.

Attached Videos:

1. Evernote loses text in the note

2. Evernote slow to respond after saving

3. Evernote taking forever to save a note

4. For comparison - iOS Notes is very fast

I do not experience this issue when using Evernote on the PC.

Specs:

• iPhone X on iOS 15.5, Evernote v10.36

• Level 5

I observed a problem recently when the iPad switched between 4G and WiFi. The EN app was open, and it seems it didn’t follow the device on switching networks.

Solution: I closed the app, and opened it again. This seems to reconnect it correctly, I had no more problems after that.

My ticket on this event is still running.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! Good to know about that...during my tests, I have remained on the same network (e.g. either 4G or wi-fi). 
Do you use an iPhone with Evernotes? I'll try it on the iPad as well and check the performance on my end.

• Level 5

We use EN on a number of iOS devices, iPhones and iPads. The only devices where a little patience is needed are the old ones, that lack computing power.

All newer ones (some of them are 5 years old by now) run fast & snappy. The problem with the network switch while the app was open was the only one encountered so far.

Interesting, thank you! Not sure why I'm experiencing it...though I did receive a reply from Evernote support an hour or two ago:

It's my understanding that it's difficult to consistently write notes on Evernote iOS app, and sometimes the text in your notes gets lost. I appreciate you for providing the link on the discussion forum.

We are aware of the issue and our developers are working on a fix as soon as possible.

• Solution

Just downloaded the new update 10.37.1 for iOS and immediately the responsiveness of Evernote in all situations is SUPER fast. No lag, very snappy, blazing fast.

I hope it stays this way, and if so, then at this point Evernote is perfect for my needs.

Thank you Evernote team!!!

Really impressed and grateful for such quick responsiveness from the team! (And they added automatic note titling too!)

Edit: the fix only lasted 30 minutes, and after contacting Evernote support they mentioned they are still working on the slow performance.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...