Hot to import a note from the time machine?

• Level 5

Someone who is familiar with Mac practices may be able to advise you about the time machine. But from within Evernote, there is a note history that is kept for every note (unless it has been deleted). Users on the free plan do not have access to this history, but it is possible to subscribe to a paid plan for just one month, and then access the history. Then you can drop the paid subscription if you want to. Here is the Help article on using note history: Use note history to view older versions of a note – Evernote Help & Learning.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The notes are not backed up individually but as a whole database.

I don't work with Macs enough to know the actual physical location but someone will be along soon who I am sure will be able to tell you.

However, if you are a subscriber then you should be able to recover the missing content via Note History.  Open the note with the missing content.  Tap the three dots menu in the top right of the note and then access Note History.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MusicWiz said:

how can I retrieve from the time machine. Where are notes located on local desktop computer iMac.

Be aware that Evernote is a cloud service, and local note storage is an option

It is difficult to retrieve a single note from Time Machine backups    
Note contents are stored in a single giant .sql file   
Attachments are stored separately, with a separate folder for each note

As per the other comments, try retrieving from Evernote's Note History backup

• Evernote Expert
14 minutes ago, MusicWiz said:

I do not have 3dots drop down History, :0(

1977489267_ScreenShot2022-07-25at11_37_15AM.png.6bb60312e87c7d967b0a9995d3be7a48.png

What subscription level address you on? If Free then Note History is running but not available to you. You could subscribe for one month and get the history to retrieve the content.

I am backing up my notes every 3 months, but sometimes, if a content gets deleted right before the next back up the valuable work is gone. It would be great if the database would  be accessible by a time machine.

• Evernote Expert

Time machine backs up the whole Evernote account. So you can restore everything at the time of backup. Time Machine isn't capable of isolating individual notes.

• Evernote Expert
Just now, MusicWiz said:
  • Subscription:PLUS

OK. Plus doesn't have Note History. You could upgrade to recover this note but then you would lose the Plus price which is grandfathered in.

Your only other option is to work with Time Machine and recover the note at the time of backup.

• Level 5

The database file is located in the user directory  ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote .

How-Ever: You can‘t restore a single note. You can restore the full set of all notes - but there may be severe side effects, like overwriting data on the server with older copies of the data brought in via TM - or just the opposite, overwriting the imported data with server content.

Personally I would use this option only as my last resort - my VERY last resort. Before this I would think about upgrading to Personal.

The downside in your case is you can‘t do it for a month only. Once upgraded, your Plus status is permanently lost, leaving as options to continue on Personal, or downgrade to Free. This makes the decision more costly than for a Free user who just needs to fix something with a short sting into Personal.

On the other hand: If you mix up your cloud data, it may cost you an enormous amount of time and effort to heal the outcome.

Like my grandma used to say: Leave that decision for another day (maybe).

• Like 2

@MusicWiz I used to be a Plus user and one of the main reasons I upgraded to Personal was for access to the note history. In just a couple of clicks, you'll have your data back... as long as it was synced to the server first!   I noticed from your screenshot that you posted that you are using a pre-10 version of the software (even though this is a Version 10 and above forum). In the pre-10 versions you can use offline notebooks. If this note is in an offline notebook, then I don't believe the note history feature will work in that case.

Doing all this work with Time Machine seems risky to me. You could compromise the integrity/syncronizing of all the rest of your notes.

Also, unfortunately, like @PinkElephant stated, you can't go back to Plus after going to Personal.