Duplicate a notebook or set of notes?

I have created a generic Notebook with a set of notes that can act as a group 'template' for each new project.  I want to in some way dupe that Notebook for each new job. I've tried several approaches by so far.... 

- No ability to setup a Notebook template

- no ability to duplicate a Notebook

- no ability to select a series of notes and either Duplicate them or Copy them to a New location

the only thing the system offers that i see is to Duplicate or Copy to a New Location for each single note one by one.  This isn't realistic when my notebook has a whole list of notes. 

Anyone found a workaround to this? I can't be the only one trying to use it this way. 

thanks, 

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you already have a generic set of notes,  you should easily be able to create a template for each note.  See: Use templates

Or you could export your notebook to an ENEX file and 'import' the notebook from that file as many times as you need to.  (an ENEX file of a single note will automatically regenerate that note when the file is clicked from the desktop - not sure if that would work for a notebook,  but it would be worth trying...) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

(an ENEX file of a single note will automatically regenerate that note when the file is clicked from the desktop - not sure if that would work for a notebook,  but it would be worth trying...) 

Nice workaround. If you haven't deleted the notebook first on import it adds the notes to the original notebook. Depending on exactly what the OP wanted to do I'm sure this can be sorted. e.g create a templates notebook, export it, delete it. Whenever you them import it will recreate a notebook called templates which you can rename.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If you haven't deleted the notebook first on import it adds the notes to the original notebook.

Thanks!  Wasn't in a position to check whether that worked before,  but as it does I'm gonna use it too! 

Nice that there's still stuff to learn about Evernote even after years of using it...  B)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Whenever you them import it will recreate a notebook called templates which you can rename.

Whoops, sorry, I  got that wrong. When you import It seems to add the notes to your default notebook. You would then need to move them en masse to the notebook of choice. In fact if you look at the enex file the notebook is not listed  (other than in the title) so it really has no choice but to put it in the default.

• Evernote Expert

@Mike P Your 'Whoops' set the cat amongst my pigeons.  I tried importing and ENEX file called inbox2 and for a moment thought I could see the same as you. BUT the message on screen said:

Import complete

Evernote has placed your imported notes into a notebook called (Imported) inbox2.

I clicked on the option to open this notebook and, indeed, all the notes were where it was promised. When I clicked back to the default folder they no longer showed there - just in the newly created (Imported) folder... Whew!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, agsteele said:

@Mike P Your 'Whoops' set the cat amongst my pigeons.  I tried importing and ENEX file called inbox2 and for a moment thought I could see the same as you. BUT the message on screen said:

Import complete

Evernote has placed your imported notes into a notebook called (Imported) inbox2.

I clicked on the option to open this notebook and, indeed, all the notes were where it was promised. When I clicked back to the default folder they no longer showed there - just in the newly created (Imported) folder... Whew!

OK you are going to love this! This what I have found:

• If you double click the enex file on your computer it imports them into the default notebook
  • If on the other hand you do file -> import it goes into an (Imported) notebook_name notebook. If you rename the enex file on your computer it will create a notebook with the new filename

So in conclusion - we are both right!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1