Drag Multiple Notes

RKoreto

Idea

I use Evernote to keep track of articles I use to create newsletters. We have hundreds of articles spread out over 26 issues a year in about a dozen newsletters, so it's a lot! For the most part, Evernote works very well. However, I move items around a lot and it's annoying to have to drag items one at a time. See the attached document: As soon as August 1 comes around (as noted in left column) I will move all items being published that day from "scheduled" to "sent." I have to do this one at a time. What I'd like to do is, as shown, in the left column, is basically CTRL + Click "BE--08-01-2022" and then "CE--08-01-2022" and so on and then drag all of those items at once from "scheduled" to "sent" in one move.

If you have more questions about this, let me know. Thanks!

Evernote sample.doc

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sadly it's not possible to do exactly what you need within Evernote,  and there's no obvious incentive for the company to spend time and effort making it possible without their being a substantial market for the feature.  However.  If you're keeping your articles as separate notes it would be easy to tag them 'scheduled' or 'sent' as appropriate,  and either change tags as and when necessary or search for and move newly-retagged notes from one notebook to another.

I didn't look at your examples here because third-party document files aren't things that I open.  Images here are much safer...

• Thanks 1

First we need to be clear about what you are talking about. BE-08-01-2022 is a tag. I assume "scheduled" and "sent" are notebooks. I think there are two issues.

Firstly, selecting notes which contain any of a list of tags. This is not easy to do in V10 compared with the legacy. You can do it but you need to use th advanced search syntax. So for example

any: tag:BE--08-01-2022 tag:CE--08-01-2022

will select all the notes tagged with either of the two tags

One you have got a list of appropriate notes you can drag and drop them into a new notebook. There is, I believe, still a limit of 50 notes. Just select all the notes (using ctrl+click and/or shift+click) and drag them to the new notebook.

Looking at this again I think I've got it completely wrong. What you are trying to do is move the sub tags on mass from one parent tag to another parent tag - assuming scheduled is the same as SCHEDULED in your screenshot. In V10, you are right, you need to do it for each individual tag. It is something that has been raised several times. You can move tags on mass in the legacy version.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I remember the legacy version and was sorry to see that ability gone. Thanks also for the tips on advanced syntax. If it was just a couple of tags, that would work, but every 2 weeks I have to move too many to make that efficient. Basically, I'd like this to work like Excel: I can highlight 5 rows, or 5 columns, and move or delete all of them at once, instead of moving each cell.

• Level 5

Personally I think you have overcomplicated your tags. They contain a logical element, plus a date, all in one string.

Why ?

It means you create for every new date some new tags. Again and again. Because every single element that changes means another tag.

If you would create first a set of logical tags, and then a set of day-tags, month-tags and year-tags, you get a finite set of tags, that live from their combination. Because search in EN is following the AND logic, to combine the tags logicBE day08 month01 year2022 does the same, as searching for BE-08-01-2022  . But you only switch the logic element to go from draft to published, for example.

This means you never need to create new tags (except maybe from the year tags once a year). You can use the multiple notes selection ability to assign the same tags in a new combination to a set of notes at once.

• Like 3

That makes a lot of sense--thank you! I see now I'd have separate tags for the mailing date (every other Monday) and for one of my 8 newsletters. I'll soon be laying out my 2023 newsletters, so a new year might be a good time to do that. 

• Like 1
On 7/14/2022 at 11:58 PM, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think you have overcomplicated your tags. They contain a logical element, plus a date, all in one string.

Why ?

It means you create for every new date some new tags. Again and gain. Because every single element that changes means another tag.

If you would create first a set of logical tags, and then a set of day-tags, month-tags and year-tags, you get a finite set of tags, that live from their combination. Because search in EN is following the AND logic, to combine the tags logicBE day08 month01 year2022 does the same, as searching for BE-08-01-2022  . But you only switch for example the logic element to go from draft to published, for example.

This means you never need to create new tags (except maybe from me year tags once a year). You can use the multiple notes selection ability to assign the same tags in a new combination to a set of notes at once.

I was about to ask the same question but I have already found my answer here. Thanks for the answer. When I was searching for it online, I also found https://write-my-essay.online website through which I can hire an essay writer and now I won't take time to submit my assignments to my mentor.

I was about to ask the same question but I have already found my answer here. Thanks for the answer.