Find notes with conflicts

dornote
Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

Idea

I am on the Evernote Plus plan. Is there a way to search for notes that have conflicts? Currently, it seems like the only time I can resolve a conflict is when I happen to run across a conflicting note. I would prefer to resolve all existing conflicts at the same time when I happen to have spare moment. 

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

Hi, @dornote, and welcome to the forums. Are you using Evernote 10? On Windows, Mac, Android, Web version...? Previously Evernote would create a Conflicting Changes notebook and deposit the conflicting note there. These days, at least in the Web version, it will pop up a notice that a duplicate copy has been found and offer to take you to it. I haven't experienced this in the v. 10 Windows desktop app, so I can't speak to that.

But, to be clear, do you mean simply duplicate notes, or notes that have been edited on more than one device and end up with different versions of their content?

• Level 5

A note conflict will show the moment it happens, and should be sorted out right away.

There is no search parameter or flag for conflicting notes. Since I have none, I can't check if you could simply search for the word "conflict" in the notes title, using the intitle: search operator.

To clarify, I'm using Evernote 10.40.9 on the Mac desktop app. These are notes that have been edited on more than one device and end up with different versions of their content. 

Often when I see the conflict message at the top of a note it's not at a convenient time to sort out where the differences lie. To remind myself where to go back and fix the conflicts I've written down the names of the problematic notes. Oddly, two of the three I just went back to fix seem to have self-resolved. There are no longer two different notes. On the third there are still two copies of the note, but no message at the top warning me of the conflict (see attached screen captures).

Searching intitle:conflict or any:conflict produced no results.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.22.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.22.38 AM.png

• Evernote Expert

I have no idea of how the conflicting notes process works and whether it is really possible for a conflict to be resolved without human intervention. I wouldn't have expected so but...

To have two notes with same title but missing the 'Conflict' flag in the title suggests, to me, that the note has been created by some other process - for example, but unlikely for you, copy and paste the content into a blank note or import an exported note.

Your challenges are, perhaps, sufficiently complex that reporting via support ticket might be helpful. If not for you then for the continued development of the application.

Hello, I am new to evernote.
I have the same problem. 
I make some notes via PC while I use my iphone to upload a picture to the same note (which I just wrote via PC) 
Then I realised that there are various editions out there with the same title. 

If I have any issue with the way how I operate it? 
if the last edit was to be saved for safety, may I request not to see those same-titled notes being listed under the NOTE section? Please? 
Thank you. image.png.d5140ac1588d01f13b89d4f78432b3ce.png

• Level 5

Hi, @LWAMP, and welcome to the forums. I've sometimes done something similar to your procedure, and the key is to make absolutely certain that everything that has been added on one device has synced completely before doing anything on the other device. I'm usually impressed with how fast Evernote syncs from my computer to its servers and then to my phone; but it's never instantaneous, and you should be sure the note as you've made it on the PC has synced exactly to the phone before taking pictures. And then when you take the pictures, do nothing on the PC until you're done with everything on the phone and all of it has synced. Adding pics can slow down the sync process if they're large files.