Evernote 10.40.9 has arrived - recurring tasks

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I'm already enjoying the official arrival of recurring tasks

Sounds like Easter and Xmas on the same day …

Maybe you poked around a little and found a small Apple Watch app as well, right behind that thick chunk of code over there ?

🤣

• Haha 3
  • agsteele changed the title to Evernote 10.40.9 has arrived - recurring tasks
59 minutes ago, agsteele said:

5 July 2022 - Evernote 10.40.9 has arrived for download and will update in due course.

I'm already enjoying the official arrival of recurring tasks

been using it in Beta (Desktop & Mobile) and must admit I am a big fan of Tasks especially recurring.

I actually like it and I like it alot....

I'm trying to have it replace my current To-Do app. I can see where over time it will definitely be able to that.

Currently I use TickTick, the paid service.

I think after about a week or so I can cancel the TickTick service but I would need to add Google Task because its a bare bone To-Do app and it may be enough to cover the gaps that Evernote task has. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, dbvirago said:

I wonder when they will change the Coming Soon banner. Wasn't this a couple of releases back?

image.thumb.png.2cc914db9a2f4401557d8e0f9b553b5a.png

Yes, but since the function is present it isn't a great issue for me ;)

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm new to the forums here. I'm loving the current iteration of recurring tasks. I use Todoist as my go-to task manager but I'm planning to cut down my subscriptions so this one will do :) 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Starting to move tasks over now. Looks good if a bit basic.

I wonder when they will change the Coming Soon banner. Wasn't this a couple of releases back?

Probably a recurrent task 😉

• Haha 3
  • Level 5

10.35 got released for iOS as well and is available for download in the AppStore.

The release notes mention 2 main improvements:

- Recurring tasks

- Easier handling of hyperlinks in text (just copy the URL, highlight a text, insert the link, done)

19 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Beyond what you note above, I still have yet to see an explanation for the confusing announcement in the last release. On Mac I have had the ability to drag notes to create links for months. I have not used it regularly as I was thinking something even better would be coming. Very strange.

22 hours ago, Stark said:

I actually like it and I like it alot....

I'm trying to have it replace my current To-Do app. I can see where over time it will definitely be able to that.

Currently I use TickTick, the paid service.

I think after about a week or so I can cancel the TickTick service but I would need to add Google Task because its a bare bone To-Do app and it may be enough to cover the gaps that Evernote task has. 

I just paid my yearly TickTIck subscription.  I am going to take tasks in Evernote for a test drive at least for my work tasks since I live in Evernote at work all day.  The only thing that is missing now are subtasks BUT recurring tasks was definitely a higher priority.  I can function without subtasks but can not without recurring tasks.

I am really impressed with Tasks and especially now that we have recurring Tasks.  I particularrly like the fact you can include a URL in the Task, be it an email address, Web Page, EN Note Link or even an App link on your PC.  Drastically speeds up dealing with many of the Tasks and if you have inserted the Task in a particular Note you can have all the relevant links, notes and attachments in the one place ready to deal with it.

9 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I am really impressed with Tasks and especially now that we have recurring Tasks.  I particularrly like the fact you can include a URL in the Task, be it an email address, Web Page, EN Note Link or even an App link on your PC.  Drastically speeds up dealing with many of the Tasks and if you have inserted the Task in a particular Note you can have all the relevant links, notes and attachments in the one place ready to deal with it.

Would be nice to embed the link in the text of the task. A bit cleaner, but agree it is a real step saver.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, dbvirago said:

Would be nice to embed the link in the text of the task. A bit cleaner, but agree it is a real step saver.

Agree, it could be cleaner hopefully they can tidy it up a bit going forward.

• Like 3
On 7/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, dbvirago said:

Yup!

Has anyone had a problem with recurring tasks, not recurring? I had one the first day, but assumed user error. But it happened again today. 

A daily recurring task wasn't there. So I looked through the completed tasks and it was there like any other. Task was striked out, but it showed the correct next occurrence, it just wasn't in my list. 

Has anyone had a problem with recurring tasks, not recurring? I had one the first day, but assumed user error. But it happened again today. 

A daily recurring task wasn't there. So I looked through the completed tasks and it was there like any other. Task was striked out, but it showed the correct next occurrence, it just wasn't in my list. 

Not noticed anything so far but I only moved tasks over on Wed and not had daily recurring tasks yet.

Had a few monthly recurring ones that appear correctly on the list next month.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Not noticed anything so far but I only moved tasks over on Wed and not had daily recurring tasks yet.

Had a few monthly recurring ones that appear correctly on the list next month.

Yeah, it's only been two out of several dozen. 90% of my tasks are daily recurring. I'll keep an eye on it.

I would like to see an special feature to improve Tasks and help me to leave my To-Do app:
Task description. An space available to insert some description to complement the taks is so important, mainly why it's inconvenient move tasks and the aditional text inserted bellow task inside the note.

Please Evernote Team, help us with this feature!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, felipebgferreira said:

I would like to see an special feature to improve Tasks and help me to leave my To-Do app:
Task description. An space available to insert some description to complement the taks is so important, mainly why it's inconvenient move tasks and the aditional text inserted bellow task inside the note.

Agree this would be nice. Workaround when I need this is to create a note with the text and insert the task in that. 

• Like 2
On 7/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, dbvirago said:

Yes, that would be awesome!

On 7/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, felipebgferreira said:

I like the way Calender events are displayes when added to a note. I would love for the same template to show up for tasks as well.

MY CURRENT TASK WISH LIST

1. Tasks in tables or nested in a two- or three column template

2. More 'default task' presets to set up new tasks more quickly

3. The ability for a recurring task to name the day ("Day 3 of 5"), would be great for challenges.

That said, life is suddenly a little easier with the new update

• Like 1

Task-Organizing-Evernote.thumb.png.3f7c3feb02023c49b4633944ac6e9379.png

Ok, so you can't put tasks INSIDE tables, but you can use tables IN BETWEEN tasks lists to sort them vertically. Although I would love to be able to sort them horizontally, I guess this works for now.

Let's see if swapping tasks around within a note will ***** things up in the long run.

Also I have noticed a few 'ghosts tasks' that seem to refuse to die (or they were just too determined to be recurring tasks). These seem to follow the same pattern as those auto-duplicating notes on those beautiful slow-sync days. The only thing worked for for me was putting the task note in the trash (after copying everything but the 'ghost task' and pasting them over in a new note). [NOTE: This started happening long before I started messing about and rearranging tasks lists like in the photo!]

• Like 2
12 minutos atrás, Petsolb disse:

Ok, so you can't put tasks INSIDE tables, but you can use tables IN BETWEEN tasks lists to sort them vertically. Although I would love to be able to sort them horizontally, I guess this works for now.

Let's see if swapping tasks around within a note will ***** things up in the long run.

Also I have noticed a few 'ghosts tasks' that seem to refuse to die (or they were just too determined to be recurring tasks). These seem to follow the same pattern as those auto-duplicating notes on those beautiful slow-sync days. The only thing worked for for me was putting the task note in the trash (after copying everything but the 'ghost task' and pasting them over in a new note). [NOTE: This started happening long before I started messing about and rearranging tasks lists like in the photo!]

Thank you, bro. It's an excellent idea and I will try here in my system.

What about the ghost tasks, are you a beta tester?

1 hour ago, felipebgferreira said:

What about the ghost tasks, are you a beta tester?

No, I participated in the Home beta a while back, but nowadays I'm using the public release. I might have marked the tasks complete on my Android phone while my Windows app was open. Also I marked them done from the Task widget on the phone rather than in the app, so that might have contributed to the issue

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
16 hours ago, Petsolb said:

I had a recurring task that I could not get rid of in Android. I reported it in a ticket. Some magic was performed at the back end. I was advised then to uninstall the app. When reinstalled the errant task was gone.

• Like 1

The flexibility of setting a recurring date interval (e.g. first monday of month, every month on the 2nd, etc) is great.  Better than I was expecting, thanks evernote team!

(next can we get a text box for description and ability to create a link in the task title to a note (without seeing the link)).

Still, a great tool, much appreciated.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, zupbry said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forums here. I'm loving the current iteration of recurring tasks. I use Todoist as my go-to task manager but I'm planning to cut down my subscriptions so this one will do :) 

Welcome! I also use Todoist, but Evernote Tasks is far from ready in my opinion to ditch Todoist. It's too basic for what I need it for. Maybe in time. :)

On 7/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, felipebgferreira said:

Agree with this!

• Level 5

The basic concept is different: With ToDoIst you manage tasks. With EN tasks you make your notes actionable.

This is a completely different approach. It will serve some better, others will stick to their task manager of choice.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The basic concept is different: With ToDoIst you manage tasks. With EN tasks you make your notes actionable.

This is a completely different approach. It will serve some better, others will stick to their task manager of choice.

Makes sense, thanks.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2022 at 6:07 AM, dbvirago said:

Thanks for reporting. We actually have a bug open for this that is on our roadmap to fix. The best way to fix the task is to delete the due date and setup the recurrence again, or delete and recreate the task with its recurrence. Sorry for the inconvenience but rest assured we're working on a fix. 

• Like 1
On 7/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, Petsolb said:

I can probably help you with eliminating your ghost tasks. Please DM me if you're still seeing the issue so I can help out. 

Thanks for reporting!

6 hours ago, Nick L. said:

I can probably help you with eliminating your ghost tasks. Please DM me if you're still seeing the issue so I can help out. 

Thanks for reporting!

I think I have one of these too. 

I never used the widget because, without recurring tasks, it had no value. As soon as I get the new update, I add the widget with tasks. It syncs up almost immediately and everything looks fine. The next day a task shows up at the top from a year ago. I have no uncompleted tasks, but I click on it and delete it.

It shows up again the next day. I look at tasks on my Windows app and it's not there. I look on the Android phone where I am running the widget and find it in the tasks list, so I delete it from there.

Next day, it's back. So I look at every instance of EN on every device and check the web version (Apparently web doesn't have tasks?) The only place it exists is on the Android phone and the Android tablet, which I never use for tasks. So, this time, I change the due date to today and mark it complete.

Today, it's back with the original date from last year. So this time, I change the due date to 10 years in the future. 

Will see if that works. Meanwhile, do you have another solution?

• Evernote Expert

I think I have one of these too. 

I never used the widget because, without recurring tasks, it had no value. As soon as I get the new update, I add the widget with tasks. It syncs up almost immediately and everything looks fine. The next day a task shows up at the top from a year ago. I have no uncompleted tasks, but I click on it and delete it.

It shows up again the next day. I look at tasks on my Windows app and it's not there. I look on the Android phone where I am running the widget and find it in the tasks list, so I delete it from there.

Next day, it's back. So I look at every instance of EN on every device and check the web version (Apparently web doesn't have tasks?) The only place it exists is on the Android phone and the Android tablet, which I never use for tasks. So, this time, I change the due date to today and mark it complete.

Today, it's back with the original date from last year. So this time, I change the due date to 10 years in the future. 

Will see if that works. Meanwhile, do you have another solution?

This is very much like the issue I had. The support team did something at the back end with my account sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android app and the errant task was gone.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:51 AM, Petsolb said:

This is a beautiful hack: I stole it immediately for my system! I keep a lot of "backlog" jobs in checklists, and convert them individually to tasks when they need to show up in the "tasks" workflow. This layout actually makes it look like a table. Genius! Thanks for posting!

• Like 3
13 hours ago, sch01ar said:

This is a beautiful hack: I stole it immediately for my system! I keep a lot of "backlog" jobs in checklists, and convert them individually to tasks when they need to show up in the "tasks" workflow. This layout actually makes it look like a table. Genius! Thanks for posting!

Hey, glad you found it useful! I just desperately needed to separate my home and work tasks, so thought it was worth trying out

• Evernote Expert

No thanks... But you could create your own. Every time you check off a task shout 'Eureka!' or 'Plonk!' 😋

But that may mean you sound like Mr Toad from Wind in the Willows when he first encounters a motor car 😉

• Haha 4
44 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Every time you check off a task shout 'Eureka!' or 'Plonk!' 😋

I like the idea of shouting Eureka! every time I complete a task... I'll get a few funny looks but what's new :)

10 hours ago, Jon/t said:

What you all think about a nice little sound effect when checking off a task?

A nice satisfying plink or bloop?

I think the right sound effect would be quite delightful, actually.

• Level 5

Do we really need bells, whistles and blim-blim with everything we use ?

It might be mildly satisfying, but effects like this are known to take focus away. If not your own, then that of the person next to you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, lost_gweedo said:

I will only turn on sound effects if it includes tribble sounds.

I thought tribbles had a soothing 'coo' sound - not really what you want when you're racing through tasks...  <_<

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I dunno ... in an office with a lot of Evernote tasks users, the sound of tasks getting done might be found useful (by the boss) to feel like everyone is being productive, and spot the ones who aren't. Leading to people putting the sound effect on their phones and just tapping it every now and then while they play solitaire.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, lost_gweedo said:

I will only turn on sound effects if it includes tribble sounds.

Oh yes. Would love this. 

Or the swoosh of the bridge doors opening when you complete a task :)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, mikefinleyco said:

guys are high fiving over reoccuring tasks

Because recurring tasks are a significant improvement. But that doesn't mean that there aren't other things that still need attention.

I happen to think that a sync button is irrelevant but YMMV. If I need to sync in the desktops there is Ctrl+R. But it rarely achieves anything much because sync takes place continuously.

There are other functions that I'd placed much higher in priority than a largely cosmetic sync button.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mikefinleyco said:

How about adding the sync button back? Thousands of users complaining about the problems with evernote not syncing properly and no force sync anymore, and you guys are high fiving over reoccuring tasks?

Hardly any apps have a sync button anymore. They just sync which is what happens for me on all the Evernote apps I use. Down the bottom right in the desktop apps it pretty much saves every keypress.

They've said they're working on new sync tech so any issues you have may get resolved. Have you spoken to support about it?

• Like 1

I'm loving the arrival of recurring tasks as well and put a bunch of daily ones in there, working like a charm so far!

But: has anyone found a way to hide tasks that are due in the future?

I think it's not very satisfying to complete a daily tasks just to have it reappear at the bottom of the list.

I really like to leave my office at the end of the day with an empty todo-list and not a full list of what's due tomorrow.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Pansai said:

has anyone found a way to hide tasks that are due in the future?

This isn't an option at the moment. It has been requested by a few users. If you feel that this is something you need then I'd recommend you open a ticket and make the request.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, dbvirago said:

Yeah, it's only been two out of several dozen. 90% of my tasks are daily recurring. I'll keep an eye on it.

Still have one or two of these a week. Not the same ones. I've developed a habit of checking my Completed tasks to see if one is stuck in there. If it is, it will have the correct next occurrence next to it, but show as completed. Here is the odd part. Even though it shows the correct next occurrence, if I unmark it as complete, it will show the last occurrence. This tells me that one item in a sequence of events is not taking place, between it being marked as complete and (I assume being marked as incomplete with the new date). Since recurring tasks shouldn't be showing in Completed, maybe they should skip that step. If recurring then do this, else do that.