Search Options for Location Data

Kreg Steppe

Idea

I would like to see search terms to search for notes within x number of miles from my current location. For example, if I go to a restaurant in another city and make a note of what to try next time. When I am in that city, I can search notes within 5 miles (eg Location: 5) of my location and surface the note for the restaurant. I imagine this could be useful for LOTS of things. Grocery Lists, Museums. I am not looking for geofencing reminders, but a search for notes created near my location, 5, 10 15 miles.

10 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The latitude/longitude/altitude values are what you would use

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax

I do know about those search terms, but I am looking for the App to use my current location (on my phone) and just return results for a X mile radius. I don't want to have to go figure out that the Lat/long is for where I am at. 

• Level 5

Beside this: The geolocation search is there, but has its limits.

The main restriction is that notes created on desktop (or web) will not comprise location data. 

This renders the search for geolocation pretty much useless - unless you are sure the note searched was created on mobile.

• Level 5

The advanced search syntax for geolocations is still working for all accounts.

What was added with Professional is a more elaborate geosearch than what the search syntax allows. Nothing was taken away from the other plans. 

For me the main issue remains that only notes created on a mobile device will have a location to search.

Thank you all. I of course knew about Latitude and Longitude search terms, but I was not aware of the geodistance term. Seems that is what I want, but I don't want to buy professional to get it. I do understand that some notes like from the Desktop would not have a location and I assumed those would not be surfaced. It was the notes I made previously on Mobile that I wanted to show when I was in the area of where I created them, via a search or widget. 

You can achieve this by implementing a location-based search feature in your notes app, allowing users to search for notes within a specified radius (e.g., 5, 10, 15 miles) of their current location, which can be accomplished by utilizing geospatial databases and querying notes based on their geographic coordinates.