Stubborn note that refuses to be deleted or merged

Hello.

I have this one note that prevents me from syncing my notes. The note can not be deleted or renamed, it does not even show these possibilities in the tooltip when I right click the note:

image.png.fd530a0d85a026c9dc9961df56419a01.png

When I open it, it's just a blank white screen. Clearly the note is corrupted. The trick to merge it with a healthy note does not work either because clicking "Merge" in the following tooltip does nothing:

image.png.dbf1feb03cb552a28a7be5e7481643c1.png

I am lost, hence I am asking the experts in this community. Do you have any tips on how to get rid of this note so that I can sync again?

Thanks for your time.

CoTensorField.

EDIT: I might add that the note is seemingly located in no notebook - it says it's in my "TODO" notebook but when I open it, it's not there. Direct link to this note leads me to "All Notes" list. So the trick to delete a whole notebook won't work as it's not located in any.

• Evernote Expert

My first port of call would be the web browser version of Evernote. You may find that the note isn't even present there.

If that's the case then I'd suggest that you have a corrupted note database. It's awhile since I used Legacy so I don't recall quick ways of doing this. I'd uninstall the program and ensure all the old data is removed. Then reinstall and see if the troublesome note is brought back from the server.

Remember, if you have a free account, the web browser counts as one of your two devices allowed to be linked.

You can reinstall the Legacy or switch to v10 as you wish.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is this a note you created? Is it a clipped page / copy~pasted content / attached file / what? - and have you tried 

• Empty Trash notebook on all devices
  • Sign out of Evernote / power device off and on / restart and sign in
  • View note by signing in to Evernote.com and try deletion there
  • Rebuilding your database file by signing out / renaming the EXB file / allowing Evernote to rebuild
  • Using Ctrl+Help and accessing the extended menu to rebuild indexes

(Please also confirm we are talking about the old Legacy version and not v10 - otherwise some of those options won't work!)

13 minutes ago, agsteele said:

My first port of call would be the web browser version of Evernote. You may find that the note isn't even present there.

If that's the case then I'd suggest that you have a corrupted note database. It's awhile since I used Legacy so I don't recall quick ways of doing this. I'd uninstall the program and ensure all the old data is removed. Then reinstall and see if the troublesome note is brought back from the server.

Remember, if you have a free account, the web browser counts as one of your two devices allowed to be linked.

You can reinstall the Legacy or switch to v10 as you wish.

Hello and thanks for a quick reply.

The corrupted note is not present in the Web version. I do not want to delete my local storage since the last time I synced correctly was many months ago.

CotensorField

31 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Is this a note you created? Is it a clipped page / copy~pasted content / attached file / what? - and have you tried 

• Empty Trash notebook on all devices
  • Sign out of Evernote / power device off and on / restart and sign in
  • View note by signing in to Evernote.com and try deletion there
  • Rebuilding your database file by signing out / renaming the EXB file / allowing Evernote to rebuild
  • Using Ctrl+Help and accessing the extended menu to rebuild indexes

(Please also confirm we are talking about the old Legacy version and not v10 - otherwise some of those options won't work!)

Hi, thanks! I tried 1,2 - did not help. 3 as I mentioned, the note is not in the Web.

4. I did sign out. If I try to rename EXB file, I will lose the local data, right?

5.  What do you mean rebuild indexes? I tried "Optimize database" but EN crashes with the log I can provide.

• Level 5*

- And yes,  if you renamed your database you'd lose access to all your unsynced notes,  which would not be a good idea.  (Although the fix would be to un-rename the database!)

• Evernote Expert

I fear that the only solution is to dump the existing data and start again - at least if you want sync to work.

You could identify all the unsynced notes and export them to an enex file.  Then when the data is rebuilt you can import these notes back into the database.

If the export doesn't work then I fear that you have no options left.