Ghosted account doesn't let me change password

Pavel V

Idea

Hi!

Sometimes I get notification that someone has logged in my account. And it is definitely not my (different country, another user agent). I'm clicking on "Reset password" link, successfully change pass, log in and tadams:

I'm in another account (not mine at all, no my notes, different name, different avatar)  but here is my email! (look at screenshot attached)

So my original account password remain unchanged (it says more 900 days already) and next soon I'm getting notification about someone logged in my acc _again_. Password is unchangeable.

What should I do?

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 10.02.56.png

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Pavel V said:

Sometimes I get notification that someone has logged in my account. And it is definitely not my (different country, another user agent). I'm clicking on "Reset password" link, successfully change pass, log in and tadams:

I'm in another account (not mine at all, no my notes, different name, different avatar)  but here is my email! (look at screenshot attached)

So my original account password remain unchanged (it says more 900 days already) and next soon I'm getting notification about someone logged in my acc _again_. Password is unchangeable.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. The fact that another account appears with your email but no notes suggests that you accidentally created a new account. This is surprisingly easy to do, if you accidentally use a different email from the one used to create the original account.

It does sound like someone is hacking in to your original account, which usually happens when you use the same password there that you use in other services, so that when it gets stolen from another service it unlocks the door to Evernote too.

Best bet would be to log in to the original account, making sure you have the right email and password, and change the password there. If you can also get into the accidental new account (assuming that is actually the situation), you can delete it. I hope that this is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@Pavel V First you probably reuse (maybe with small modifications) your passwords. Don’t !

Second to stop any intruder, set up 2FA. This means that the password is not enough, they need to guess another element - one that changes every 30 seconds in a random way, making guessing senseless.

About creating a second account by accident @Dave-in-Decatur told everything you need to know.

• Like 1