Will sync ever work properly?

• Evernote Expert

I think that different users have different experiences AND differing requirements.

I'm not aware of any sync issues for me. Everything chugs along as I need and expect. But neither am I looking for an instant result.

About the only delay I ever notice is when I forward an Email to Evernote. But that is entirely a feature of the Email delivery speed rather than Evernote sync.

So for me this is more than adequate but I also understand that others have different experiences. I can see that device, OS, and networks all contribute to the different experiences.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, WilliamL said:

a basic and fundamental feature is not up to scratch

AFAIK 'basic' sync is alive and working well for the majority of 200M+ users  - certainly it's fine for me,  as an undemanding user;  I use a couple of laptops in fixed locations,  and a tablet / phone for mobile lookups and some note creation.  I don't believe I've lost any notes (or parts thereof) in several years...

Sync issues seem to go with non-standard hardware,  'drive-by' note taking such as you describe,  and erratic connections.  There are ways around some of the issues,  but at the end of the day it should not be about battering the software into providing you with the features you require - assuming a normal cycle of scheduling,  prototyping and testing,  that's going to take several months if not years.  If you need an app to behave in a certain way,  you need to find one that does near exactly what you need;  and Evernote may not be it<

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

I think that different users have different experiences AND differing requirements.

I'm not aware of any sync issues for me. Everything chugs along as I need and expect. But neither am I looking for an instant result.

About the only delay I ever notice is when I forward an Email to Evernote. But that is entirely a feature of the Email delivery speed rather than Evernote sync.

So for me this is more than adequate but I also understand that others have different experiences. I can see that device, OS, and networks all contribute to the different experiences.

Evernote market this as an app that GTD can be used for - an aspect of that is being able to quickly write anything down, thats not possible in the mobile app, to pop in write or paste something then simple leave - I guarantee that not all of that will sync, if any of it.  This needs to be fixed, I love EN but having to hand hold it through a sync every.single.time. I use it is simply getting too much. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

AFAIK 'basic' sync is alive and working well for the majority of 200M+ users  - certainly it's fine for me,  as an undemanding user;  I use a couple of laptops in fixed locations,  and a tablet / phone for mobile lookups and some note creation.  I don't believe I've lost any notes (or parts thereof) in several years...

Sync issues seem to go with non-standard hardware,  'drive-by' note taking such as you describe,  and erratic connections.  There are ways around some of the issues,  but at the end of the day it should not be about battering the software into providing you with the features you require - assuming a normal cycle of scheduling,  prototyping and testing,  that's going to take several months if not years.  If you need an app to behave in a certain way,  you need to find one that does near exactly what you need;  and Evernote may not be it<

Maybe you are right, if I want reliable sync go to another app.  I have had EN doing this since EN 10 came out, I figured it would improve - it hasn’t. Anything I enter on the mobile app takes an age to sync, the capacity to pop in and write something - ie a to-do and then leave isnt there.  I have tried this over and over too, tasks for instance, yes its there and its implementation is great, but if they don’t sync, which they wont if I dont manually sync it, well its not a task then.  

And its not just me, its all over these forums - missing info, blocks disappearing, lists disappearing, and if you go to the mobile app reviews they are filled with it too.  It needs addressed and fixed, not dismissed and the pretence there is no issue continuing. 

Contrast that with Craft for instance, I can pop into that, write a to-do, immediately close it, and the sync still works.  I can do that with text and paragraphs, it always syncs, EN has a bizarre lag which prevents this.  Heck there is a tick button on EN why on earth, when I press that doesn’t it immediately sync knowing i have finished the note? Nope, tick does nothing! If i exit at that point the data isnt synced, I need to go to notes, drag down and get it to manually sync.  These are not old devices I am working from either, an iPhone 13 and an iPad pro.  I just want the app to work.

• Like 7
  • Evernote Expert
12 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Evernote market this as an app that GTD can be used for - an aspect of that is being able to quickly write anything down, thats not possible in the mobile app, to pop in write or paste something then simple leave - I guarantee that not all of that will sync, if any of it.  This needs to be fixed, I love EN but having to hand hold it through a sync every.single.time. I use it is simply getting too much. 

That's not my experience but I accept that it is yours. I hope you'll get the solution you desire.

• Like 1

In syncing's current state, it works just great fine for my use case of Evernote -- mostly creating content on two MacOS Desktops, one Windows Desktop, and reviewing (and creating minor content) on iPad and iOS -- but I mostly create content on Desktop and review on iOS. If I created most of my content on iOS, it might be a different story. 

Based on this remark from Ian Small from https://evernote.com/blog/ceo-update-january-2022/...

• And most importantly, over the course of 2022, we will complete our multi-year journey to a more reliable, faster, and more modern sync architecture—the very backbone of the Evernote experience.

... it sounds like it is a major thing they are working on -- and it seems like Evernote rarely announces roadmap type things. 

Edited by Boot17
Change 'great' to 'fine' because that better reflects the sentiment.
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

In syncing's current state, it works just great for my use case of Evernote -- mostly creating content on two MacOS Desktops, one Windows Desktop, and reviewing (and creating minor content) on iPad and iOS -- but I mostly create content on Desktop and review on iOS. If I created most of my content on iOS, it might be a different story. 

Based on this remark from Ian Small from https://evernote.com/blog/ceo-update-january-2022/...

• And most importantly, over the course of 2022, we will complete our multi-year journey to a more reliable, faster, and more modern sync architecture—the very backbone of the Evernote experience.

... it sounds like it is a major thing they are working on -- and it seems like Evernote rarely announces roadmap type things. 

I hope that it improves, I am rooting for it to do so. As it stands my year is due for renewal in September, if things remain as they are I’ll be cancelling it - not saying forever granted! I really like many of the features of Evernote but having experienced how well and quick sync can work with other apps the manual sync I’m having to use just becomes really tiresome and very unproductive. 

I’ll keep an eye out for any announcements that might come and hopefully there is big improvements in performance in the coming months. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 5:30 AM, gazumped said:

The problem is in my experience linked to "flakey" internet connections and caused by a sync strategy that seems to have its flaws.

When in Europe with fast/broadband/fiber/5G internet connections I generally do not have problems, or at least they are rare.

Currently I am in South America, country side, on a cellphone connection that provides a WiFi network that is not always very stable or high throughput, to which are coupled two Android devices (phone and tablet) running the latest versions of Evernote and a Windows laptop running Evernote legacy (which I am firing up and using once in a while, often when I despair of Evernote's problems listed below).

On Android, I experience

• Frequently duplicate or multiple notes
  • Lost edits, ie, edits that I know I did, but which get lost. I could see changes in titles and lines reverted, sometimes letter by letter.
  • Excruciatingly slow sync. A text note can take forever. I am not sure whether Evernote for Android (or mobile in general) is artificially throttled; the practical impossibility to download any notebooks for offline use may be related to that. 

I conclude that Evernote is not safe on an internet connection which lacks performance. Goodspeed, everyone. Since you never know when your internet connection might go away, Evernote is NOT safe. The type of erros I encounter do not give me confidence that the Evernote cloud synchronization strategy is sound and safe.

Some people suggest using Evernote offline until I am ready to synchronize. But I can't take my entire device offline. That would be dumb. I sometimes do use Evernote "manual sync", but it often continues without ever stopping. I have sometimes stopped a stuck sync by killing/closing the app, which may have caused a loss in an edit; at least at those times the memory was fresh, and I was prepared to redo a change. 

To merge Evernote note versions, I need to compare them line by line (fortunately I have the abovementioned laptop).

Note that I am not experiencing problems with Google Docs, Google Drive, One Drive, and synchronization is fast. I did have a few issues with OneNote, but it usually highlights where the problem is.

So, I do have alternatives which I increasingly use, although I would like to prefer Evernote, where I have most of my notes collected and curated, for more than a decade. 

It is extremely frustrating to use a decades-old cloud solution where basic synchronization problems persist.

I suggest that Evernote developers be forced to occasionally use the product on a slow connection.

4 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

I assure you this is in active development and we're making good progress on it. But it's a MAJOR change that cannot be taken lightly and released before it's been thoroughly tested. But the efforts along with some other internal feature development should make a bit impact on sync reliability and note conflicts.

That’s really good to hear! The issues for me are lesser now for whatever reason but knowing this is being worked on will reassure any of us who are seeing these things rise up every now and then. I know massive changes have been made, which I I guess is needed to keep moving forwards, I don’t know what any of them mean granted!

• Level 5
52 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

I assure you this is in active development and we're making good progress on it. But it's a MAJOR change that cannot be taken lightly and released before it's been thoroughly tested. But the efforts along with some other internal feature development should make a big impact on sync reliability and note conflicts.

In line with what @lhb said above, I hope that that thorough testing includes frequent testing with sub-optimal Internet connections.

1 hour ago, Scott T. said:

I assure you this is in active development and we're making good progress on it. But it's a MAJOR change that cannot be taken lightly and released before it's been thoroughly tested. But the efforts along with some other internal feature development should make a big impact on sync reliability and note conflicts.

Thank you, Scott, I am very happy to hear. Especially as I continue to travel and be abroad.  And yes, it is something tricky. Have a great week-end! 

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I hope that that thorough testing includes frequent testing with sub-optimal Internet connections.

I will bring this up to the team to make sure it is being covered sufficiently.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Can offer you the train ride between my home town and Hamburg.

You will loose internet connection 4 times, like on a clockwork.

This is a typical situation where today I need to go offline to avoid hiccups while using EN.

My issue is that syncing can take a long time.

Even syncing a one-sentence note can take up to 10 minutes on Android, 5-10 minutes on PC.

SOLUTION: It would be great if there were a sync button (there use to be one), and a progress indicator

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Your issue is you don‘t understand syncing.

If you understood, you would post differently. It may be you still think it takes too long, but for different reasons.

Some reading stuff:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005237

More reading stuff:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313378

You can come back after you digested the input.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Paddy Paddy said:

My issue is that syncing can take a long time.

Even syncing a one-sentence note can take up to 10 minutes on Android, 5-10 minutes on PC.

SOLUTION: It would be great if there were a sync button (there use to be one), and a progress indicator

Slow syncing on Android is a known issue; you can search the forums for "Android slow" and find some threads. On a PC, that shouldn't happen unless there's a bad network connection somewhere between your computer and the Evernote servers. Does it do that all the time, or just on occasion? Do other apps that do a lot of syncing seem to be affected? You might try a site that measures your Internet speed to see if that corresponds to your experience with Evernote.

In any case, I don't see how a manual sync button would help this. It's not like an accelerator you can keep pressing to make it go faster! ;) Generally, you can assume a sync is in progress when you stop typing; there is an indicator at bottom right that says something like "Saving..." and then "All changes saved."

On 7/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, lhb said:

he problem is in my experience linked to "flakey" internet connections and caused by a sync strategy that seems to have its flaws.

When in Europe with fast/broadband/fiber/5G internet connections I generally do not have problems, or at least they are rare.

Currently I am in South America, country side, on a cellphone connection that provides a WiFi network that is not always very stable or high throughput, to which are coupled two Android devices (phone and tablet) running the latest versions of Evernote and a Windows laptop running Evernote legacy (which I am firing up and using once in a while, often when I despair of Evernote's problems listed below).

On Android, I experience

• Frequently duplicate or multiple notes
  • Lost edits, ie, edits that I know I did, but which get lost. I could see changes in titles and lines reverted, sometimes letter by letter.
  • Excruciatingly slow sync. A text note can take forever. I am not sure whether Evernote for Android (or mobile in general) is artificially throttled; the practical impossibility to download any notebooks for offline use may be related to that. 

I conclude that Evernote is not safe on an internet connection which lacks performance. Goodspeed, everyone. Since you never know when your internet connection might go away, Evernote is NOT safe. The type of erros I encounter do not give me confidence that the Evernote cloud synchronization strategy is sound and safe.

Some people suggest using Evernote offline until I am ready to synchronize. But I can't take my entire device offline. That would be dumb. I sometimes do use Evernote "manual sync", but it often continues without ever stopping. I have sometimes stopped a stuck sync by killing/closing the app, which may have caused a loss in an edit; at least at those times the memory was fresh, and I was prepared to redo a change. 

To merge Evernote note versions, I need to compare them line by line (fortunately I have the abovementioned laptop).

Note that I am not experiencing problems with Google Docs, Google Drive, One Drive, and synchronization is fast. I did have a few issues with OneNote, but it usually highlights where the problem is.

So, I do have alternatives which I increasingly use, although I would like to prefer Evernote, where I have most of my notes collected and curated, for more than a decade. 

It is extremely frustrating to use a decades-old cloud solution where basic synchronization problems persist.

Since upgrading to  v.10,  I have many of the same issues as Ihb, except I am in in So. Calif with a blazing fast WiFi connection, so obviously these issues have absolutely nothing to do with slow (or bad) Wi-Fi speeds.  My syncs are excruciatingly slow;  I have frequent duplicate notes.  The worst thing is that many notes simply FAIL to sync changes between my new Windows 11 laptop and my one-year old Samsung Galaxy Android mobile phone, regardless of which device the edits were initiated to, so I too must also compare changed notes side-by-side, line-by-line & edit each change.  THIS IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR IN 2022.  The “manual sync” is not an answer as it quite often just spins on and on and as Ihb says above, the end result is you lose your changes anyway.  

I have lost count of how many times I’ve deleted the cache/data, restarted the phone, uninstalled / reinstalled the Evernote app on my Android phone, but the problems persist unresolved.  

On every other app (including OneNote) on either device, syncs are handled perfectly and as expected.  The fact that Evernote has failed to correct such a significant problem which affects MANY users, testifies that something’s is very wrong at this company.  I have been a faithful Evernote user since 2012 and have recommended it widely to various attorneys at my office.  Problems with prior versions of Evernote have been minor in comparison, but with each “upgraded version,” Evernote’s problems only increase in severity.  I can only assume the app is irretrievably broken.  I too, would love to continue with Evernote, but when important note changes are not synced — and often not even saved — I am forced to look elsewhere for a note/to-do app that is RELIABLE.  Perhaps, if the user is merely using Evernote to make a grocery shopping list, these issues would not be of major importance, but in a professional-use setting, they’re unacceptable.  I, too, like Ihb, will monitor these boards periodically in the future to see if Evernote staff can return the app to its former glory and reputation.   If so, I’d be back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Catrina said:

The fact that Evernote has failed to correct such a significant problem which affects MANY users

...but not ALL.  I have 300+ notebooks, 57K notes and ZERO duplications (touch wood,  so far) and I can only suggest that you contact Support for assistance.  Your experience and logs will help them investigate what causes these issues for some users.  Work,  Evernote have already said,  is in hand to improve the sync experience but that's not something that can be fixed overnight...
https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/142459-will-sync-ever-work-properly/?do=findComment&comment=659392

6 hours ago, Catrina said:

Since upgrading to  v.10,  I have many of the same issues as Ihb, except I am in in So. Calif with a blazing fast WiFi connection, so obviously these issues have absolutely nothing to do with slow (or bad) Wi-Fi speeds.  My syncs are excruciatingly slow;  I have frequent duplicate notes.  The worst thing is that many notes simply FAIL to sync changes between my new Windows 11 laptop and my one-year old Samsung Galaxy Android mobile phone, regardless of which device the edits were initiated to, so I too must also compare changed notes side-by-side, line-by-line & edit each change.  THIS IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR IN 2022.  The “manual sync” is not an answer as it quite often just spins on and on and as Ihb says above, the end result is you lose your changes anyway.  

I have lost count of how many times I’ve deleted the cache/data, restarted the phone, uninstalled / reinstalled the Evernote app on my Android phone, but the problems persist unresolved.  

On every other app (including OneNote) on either device, syncs are handled perfectly and as expected.  The fact that Evernote has failed to correct such a significant problem which affects MANY users, testifies that something’s is very wrong at this company.  I have been a faithful Evernote user since 2012 and have recommended it widely to various attorneys at my office.  Problems with prior versions of Evernote have been minor in comparison, but with each “upgraded version,” Evernote’s problems only increase in severity.  I can only assume the app is irretrievably broken.  I too, would love to continue with Evernote, but when important note changes are not synced — and often not even saved — I am forced to look elsewhere for a note/to-do app that is RELIABLE.  Perhaps, if the user is merely using Evernote to make a grocery shopping list, these issues would not be of major importance, but in a professional-use setting, they’re unacceptable.  I, too, like Ihb, will monitor these boards periodically in the future to see if Evernote staff can return the app to its former glory and reputation.   If so, I’d be back.

Like others I would urge you to contact support - something really isn’t working right there. I have never had a duplicate or sync fail on windows - not once, my issue has always been iOS. Even with iOS now, forced sync always works, the only odd occasion I have an issue is tasks sometimes don’t sync first time and need a few prompts. 

7 hours ago, Catrina said:

Been on

EN since 2011 over 22,000 notes never expeienced much if any poblems with Sync (on a couple of occasions a restart of the PC has solved it) 

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Intel Core i7 Coffe Lake 16GB Ram -  EN V10.10.40.9 - Samsung A70 Android 11

9 hours ago, Catrina said:

Which Samsung Galaxy phone do you have and what is the ram size ?

On 7/10/2022 at 3:35 AM, gazumped said:

...but not ALL.  I have 300+ notebooks, 57K notes

Imagine waking up one morning to 114K notes... 😮

---

Joke aside though, I've had some recent sync issues and notes duplications. However, having used Evernote for about 10 years, I have found way to adjust my workflow to the program. Everything isn't perfect in Evernote, and it may slow down at times. However, I only ever use my Android phone for jotting down short notes, and do more work-intensive stuff on my Windows app, where I have the screen size to expand my notes.

So, the way I work, a note tend to start in the Android app, before I move into Windows. Sometimes it takes time to sync from my phone to my desktop, but it almost always end up where it should. I hope the speed improves, but at least I'm not worried about my note not being saved, which would be far worse imo.

Have you tried uninstalling the android app, and/or signing out? Have you checked if there might be other apps that interfere with the evernote app?

I would create a support ticket and let Evernote know of your issue (even if you've done it in the past). I hope things work out for you, or that you find a way to work around the issue!

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Petsolb said:

So, the way I work, a note tend to start in the Android app, before I move into Windows. Sometimes it takes time to sync from my phone to my desktop, but it almost always end up where it should. I hope the speed improves, but at least I'm not worried about my note not being saved, which would be far worse imo.

Just to say that I follow a similar procedure, and I don't have issues with syncing speed or content loss. I did recently have a massive duplication issue with one particular note when using the Web client, not the desktop app, but that was isolated. I'm in metro Atlanta with a good ISP and home WiFi, and sometimes am out and about on Verizon mobile data.

All of which only means it works for me. For those for whom it's not working, that's no help. So I would also join in the suggestion to contact support, since the behavior reported by @Catrina, which should never happen to anyone, is relatively uncommon and not the norm.

I have lots of issues with poor syncing as well. If I type something in Evernote on my laptop, I can reliably predict that it won't show up on my desktop. In a few while, the dreaded "There are two versions of the file" shows up. It is unusable! I have the most recent version of the app in MacOS. I am considering moving to an alternative app.

A few years ago, there was a "Sync" button that I manually pressed every time and it worked great. This option is unfortunately no longer available, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

PLEASE get this to work properly and I will consider not unsubscribing. I dont get the point of releasing new features if Sync can't even work properly, make a functioning product first please :)

I have evernote on my macbook, android phone and my other macbook. Syncing is such a pain and it creates these different versions of the same note and I'm now finding it hard to identify the latest note because my writings are spread across multiple versions of the same note! if you could get sync to work properly so that it functions like a normal notepad would, like not too much ask, just a normal functioning notepad please. and then let's get excited about adding on new features ok? 

Good guys, cheers take care

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Already asked and answered... 

So the answer is that you admit this is a issue caused by your own development team / product owner? Like it was working perfectly (just like any other notebook would) and your team got in to make some "cool new featurez" and screwed up basic functionality? That's unacceptable. I'm out. I'm sure there's other products that support basic note-saving capability. All I need is a notebook that can save properly. 

-1 subscribed member

• Level 5

As I see it, nobody „admitted“ anything - this is an open forum, not a tribunal.

We were just informed - based on a blog post from the EN CEO in January - that the dev team is still working on something. If a working dev team is a situation you can‘t live with, then just quit. It is your own decision where to put your money.

EN made it with the current syncing method since it launched in 2008. The served some hundreds of millions of users with this syncing concept. If they want to take it a step further: Fine with me. There are methods of syncing use by other apps that would help to solve some pending issues, and I think nobody is against an improvement here and there. At least I know where my subscribers fee is put to work.

If you will be still with the service when it launches: Up to you … 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Tom444 said:

you admit this is a issue caused by your own development team

?? Please read the posts here more carefully.  I didn't 'admit' anything, and I don't own a team - I'm another user,  not an employee.  The CEO's statement was to the effect that in light of comments from users that improvements were necessary to a system that was actively servicing 200 million+ users,  they were looking into ways to further improve the system - already answering the question you asked.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently subscribed to Evernote and faced all kind of sync issues with Mac Desktop App.

Sometimes I get duplicated notes, edits reverting back like 5 or 10 seconds later after it confirmed "All changes saved", and entire Notebooks disappearing.

Yesterday, for instance, I added 5 notes to a recently created Notebook. Out of nothing, they simply disappeared after 20 seconds.
Bad connection? I don't think so. I'm connected to my router via ethernet and checked download/upload speed at that exact moment and it peaked 800mbps. I guess that is enough for syncing text only notes.

Today, I tried adding some some bookmarks via the web clipper. After getting confirmation on the Chrome extension it was saved properly, I go to the app and where are the bookmarks? Waited for two hours and nothing.

Unfortunately, even though I find EN perfect for my needs, I'll have to unsub cause I can't trust a service that can't do the minium which is saving my content properly.

This past year I have noticed an insane amount of sync issues (mainly duplicate notes).  

My workflow is simply to enter text in a Note in the Windows client then File -> Quit Evernote then later in the day do the same on Evernote client for macOS or iOS.  I get a "we have found more than one version" popup probably 50+% of the time now. 

At this point, I'd prefer just having a manual save and a manual load button to update my Note.

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, mortac8 said:

That's cool.  I just thought I'd chime in.  All I want is functionality from like 2010 to work :)

From my point of view a 2010 style sync would be something, but not cool. Most cloud services have switched to a „granular“ syncing approach in the meantime. This means every element (like a file or a note) is broken down into tiny pieces. Changes will often be relevant for one piece only, or for a group of pieces. Sync will only work for elements that were actually changed.

This approach reduces the risk that a single element will be changed by 2 users at the same time. Furthermore it allows for a massive reduction in data traffic, because most of the time only small snippets have to be transported.

Hope we get something like this, which would be state of the art syncing technology.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, lhb said:

Just as an update to my above experiences: While being "back to civilization" for a while with a fiber high-band-with connection, I have not encountered the sync problem with duplicated notes anymore, after having had it quite frequently with a bad connection. I had it once today on my Android client, most probably caused by changing networks as I walked outside the house and drove through a region with notoriously bad cell phone connection. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Long time Evernote user here, since 2012. Up until about the last year I was perfectly satisfied with it.  In the last year or so I am constantly getting note conflicts, and I have lost patience with it.  I mostly use it to keep a rolling todo list up to date which becomes a highlights list as I check things off. If I don’t get something done, I move it to a later date. I also use this same file to store links to useful things or brief notes of things I want to look into.  And I use another file as a shopping list organized by aisle in the store where I shop. As things come up that I need I add a checklist box to the beginning of the item so that it stands out from the rest of the list. After shopping I remove the checklist boxes.  

So I guess I'm “guilty” of drive-by note-taking such as WilliamL describes and for the same GTD purpose of getting things out of my head and down on “paper.”  I want to get into the note, write my stuff, have it sync and get out. Evernote is no longer working for me for this purpose. The duplicate notes were annoying but now I’ve experience many instances where the data never gets saved at all. That is unacceptable.  Also, going through several menu screens to force a sync on Android and still have to wait is unacceptable.

So as of today I’m going to start to use google docs for my drive-by note-taking.  I’ll continue to use Evernote for less active info that I want to keep. 

Syncing between devices is also slow or buggy but I could live with that. But I can’t live with an app not saving my data on the same device.

Very disappointed to have to use two apps. I look forward to the day when Evernote fixes this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just happy that I figured out (I think) that I can go into the Notes specific section of the IOS app and swipe down from the top of the screen to refresh/sync/save.  I think I had been mistakenly thinking that hitting the green checkbox to close the note would also sync it.  Silly me (sarcasm) :)

• Level 5

Hitting the checkbox will sync all changes in the app on the device. It will not sync to the server. You will see the note in the notes list, marked with a green triangle in the top right corner. This means „still needs to sync“, nothing more, and especially not „sync in progress“.

To make a sync happen you can try the pull down, let go procedure. I had mixed results with it. What causes a sync right now is to open the app settings, synchronization and tap on sync now.

The sync has happened when the green triangle has disappeared from the notes.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Hitting the checkbox will sync all changes in the app on the device. It will not sync to the server. You will see the note in the notes list, marked with a green triangle in the top right corner. This means „still needs to sync“, nothing more, and especially not „sync in progress“.

To make a sync happen you can try the pull down, let go procedure. I had mixed results with it. What causes a sync right now is to open the app settings, synchronization and tap on sync now.

The sync has happened when the green triangle has disappeared from the notes.

The fact that it's actually how Evernote works seems a bit ridiculous, don't you think?
Is a sync that network expensive that a paid app can't sync to server on the check button?  

• Level 5

It absolutely makes sense on a mobile device to save locally on device first.

Network conditions are not predictable when on the fly. It makes sure that a copy will be saved, even if the mobile network goes off in the very moment when the note is left.

A situation I encounter frequently: Working on the train, I finish editing a note and close it. Zapp - the train enters a tunnel, losing all outside connections. Because the edits are saved locally, I can continue with the next note, no need to wait until the internet is back.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It absolutely makes sense on a mobile device to save locally on device first.

Network conditions are not predictable when on the fly. It makes sure that a copy will be saved, even if the mobile network goes off in the very moment when the note is left.

A situation I encounter frequently: Working on the train, I finish editing a note and close it. Zapp - the train enters a tunnel, losing all outside connections. Because the edits are saved locally, I can continue with the next note, no need to wait until the internet is back.

Sounds like a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

20 hours ago, mortac8 said:

The fact that it's actually how Evernote works seems a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Yeah - well, I actually don't think that's how it works - a bit of misinformation given there.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Hitting the checkbox will sync all changes in the app on the device. It will not sync to the server.

This is incorrect -- at least on the test I just did now on my iPhone 11 (Evernote 10.43.1).

I just updated a note on my iPhone, hit the green checkmark and stayed with the note open and did no other action on my iPhone. Within 2 seconds that change was synced to the server as seen from that updated data appearing in Evernote Web. (I did click to a different note in the Web version and back to the note that was updated one time and saw the updated data.) A subsequent test took 10 seconds (again with no other action besides clicking the green check mark.)

(Note that I know it's not recommended to have the same note open and be making changes on multiple devices at the same time).

To answer the original thread question "Will sync ever work properly?", the answer is a hopeful 'yes'. I expect the feature (now in beta testing) to allow multiple users to edit the same note at the same time will fix sync issues like these.

These two comments from the CIO show that major sync improvements have been under way and are now being tested:

• As I write this blog post, our new collaborative editing capability, which allows multiple people to edit the same note simultaneously, and individuals to edit the same note on multiple devices without note conflicts, is in early days of beta testing around the world.
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you think about it, the problem is instable network connection combined with a service that is cloud based.

This is nothing specific to EN.

Unstable network scenario should be the fallback not the rule.  If I can watch an NFL game live streaming in HD on my phone then I should be able to sync some text.

@Boot17 Thanks for the links (blog posts).  Very interesting.
"In the deal signed between Bending Spoons and Evernote, Bending Spoons agrees to take ownership of Evernote in a transaction expected to complete early in 2023."

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

I just updated a note on my iPhone, hit the green checkbox and stayed with the note open and did no other action on my iPhone. Within 2 seconds that change was synced to the server as seen from that updated data appearing in Evernote Web. (I did click to a different note in the Web version and back to the note that was updated one time and saw the updated data.) A subsequent test took 10 seconds (again with no other action besides clicking the green check mark.)

I did the following test on my android phone: I just updated the note and stayed with the note open in editing mode, I didn't hit the checkbox, and did no other action on my phone. Within e few seconds the change was synced to the server as seen from that updated data appearing in Evernote Web.

So, there is some background syncing, even while editing. The problem is that you can't know for sure that it has been completely synced as long as you stay in the note.

The only explicit indicator is the green sync-in-progress marker. Problem with this marker is that it sometimes erroneously stays on after a complete sync (race condition bug).

• Like 2
  • Level 5

iOS and Android are different in the way how they manage RAM memory. In iOS an app requests a slice of RAM from the OS when opening. It is allocated, and keeps reserved for the app until it closes. On Android a sandbox is created, but AFAIK without allocating a block of RAM. So it is more fluent in filling the available space.

The iOS method is leaner, meaning that the devices give better performance with less RAM on board. I have read somewhere that Android dedicates up to 30% of CPU power just to keep the RAM allocation working, and free allocated areas again after an app has closed.

In iOS when an app is closed, the allocated RAM is erased the same moment the sandbox perishes. In addition when on iOS a lot of apps are running in the background, and a new one is opened by the user, the OS may decide that it is now running short on allocatable resources, and will actively terminate other apps, setting their allocated memory free for the new app. So even if an app was not actively closed, it can be shot down by the OS level, just because a new app is opened.

Said all this, it means that an Android app may loiter, still keeping hold and syncing data, where on iOS the party was closed by the headmaster when the app terminated.

• Like 1
On 11/21/2022 at 3:27 PM, Boot17 said:

These two comments from the CIO show that major sync improvements have been under way and are now being tested:

• As I write this blog post, our new collaborative editing capability, which allows multiple people to edit the same note simultaneously, and individuals to edit the same note on multiple devices without note conflicts, is in early days of beta testing around the world.

Is there anybody on this forum participating in the beta testing? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

Is there anybody on this forum participating in the beta testing? 

Hi there...  I'm on the beta panel - but I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to say that,  so don't look for any details...  there are NDAs - plus Evernote knows where I live.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi there...  I'm on the beta panel - but I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to say that,  so don't look for any details...  there are NDAs - plus Evernote knows where I live.

Great, I'm glad to hear that experienced power users are part of the team 🙂

• Like 2

If I would be a beta tester, I would look very carefully for the so called 'gliches' which are frequently reported on this forum. The typical advice is then to reinstall or restart your client and forget about it. However, these 'glitches'  (race conditions) are in reality the most difficult bugs to reproduce and to debug. Even if it occurs only  once in a week during the beta test, it should be taken very seriously because once released to 200000000 users, it will occur every 3 milliseconds !

So, the trick is to produce these race conditions by time critical tests:

- bad/broken connections while editing and switching clients all editing the same note

- fast note creation/ saving/opening/editing/saving again with bad connection

- fast exceptional usages

• Like 2
On 7/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just for clarity of discussion ... was there ever a sync button? If so, in what versions of Evernote? The older version of the Windows desktop program used the F9 key, or Tools > Sync. I don't remember a button.

It is/was available as a personalized toolbar button in the Legacy version. I've used it for many years because it definitely speeds the sync process—not by clicking it when sync is already in-progress, of course, but rather when you don't want to wait for Evernote to get around to doing its automatic sync. 

image.png.69a1405c61797b588de83241acba32d6.png

• 2 weeks later...

As a new user with an Apple device, I can confirm that syncs, while on superfast wifi between my iPhone 12 and Mac are slow. Like type in a single word in scratch pad on iOS and you have to leave the app open and sitting there for 1-2 minutes before it syncs over. You can manually go into settings and sync, but that also take some time. Just adding in, since Evernote had stated they were working on this for 2022 that it is not quite fixed.

• Evernote Expert

I'm not surprised that sync between devices takes a minute or two. To be quicker would require all devices to poll the cloud continuously which would drain batteries on mobile devices.

I think some folk find the time somewhat longer.

• Level 5
55 minutes ago, SteveSwartz said:

… can confirm that syncs, while on superfast wifi between my iPhone 12 and Mac are slow. Like type in a single word in scratch pad on iOS and you have to leave the app open and sitting there for 1-2 minutes before it syncs …

This expresses a typical misunderstanding, either in thinking, or at least verbally.

There is NO syncing between an iPhone and a Mac. EN never syncs from one device to another.

Syncing always takes changes to the cloud server. From there in a second sync the change needs to communicate itself to all other devices.

Depending on how the sync up and the sync down is spaced and planned, it can easily take a few minutes until an update on one client has reached all devices.

1 hour ago, SteveSwartz said:

Just adding in, since Evernote had stated they were working on this for 2022 that it is not quite fixed.

Just in case you missed it from a comment above... this from Evernote’s Next Move: Joining the Bending Spoons Suite of Apps -- Ian Small 11/16/2022 -- https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-next-move-joining-bending-spoons/:

I would think that 'allow multiple people to edit the same note simultaneously' would also apply to a person editing the same note on two different devices at the same time, so hopefully that is a reality soon. (Note that it's still in beta.)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, agsteele said:

I'm not surprised that sync between devices takes a minute or two. To be quicker would require all devices to poll the cloud continuously which would drain batteries on mobile devices.

I think some folk find the time somewhat longer.

why do you think that it should be polled, why can't it be pushed instead?

Anyway,  collaborative editing needs faster sync to prevent conflicts...

• Level 5

Personally I think the discussion is mainly academic.

We now have the traditional syncing EN always used: The synced object is the full note, the syncing from the device where edited is Push to the server. The other devices Pull from the server. This will not be optimized, it will be replaced.

The change will hopefully come soon. The new sync will be incremental (only changes are synced, not the full note), it allows online collaboration and because of that it is most likely Push.

I just lean back and wait until it gets available. And then I will know whether to think it is the greatest thing since they put the milk from the cow into a bottle ..

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, PinkElephant said:

I just lean back and wait until it gets available. And then I will know ...

Normally I'm with you. But in this case (changing sync methodology) I'm afraid of seeing a not only minor problems coming up.

• How will Legacy work together with new sync in EN10?
    • Legacy's sync based on whole notes worked great for many years. Nothing could be lost because the note history caught every whole note and made it available later after accidents.
    • ==> Using new sync methodology should be a configurable option

• How will new sync work during note editing sessions? 
    • If I move/delete/copy portions of my note text, I do not want to get all my doing synced immediately. It's completely unnecessary to set fire syncing events during such editing sessions. No server and no network on this world will be able to handle all editor's actions immediately...
    • ==> Using new sync methodology should be a configurable option
  • How should a user describe problems to support people and how should they reproduce problems?
    • From my point of view a new sync methodology will be a night mare for the support 😞
    • ==> Using new sync methodology should be a configurable option (to offer a workaround to those who get problems with the new...)
  • Level 5

For EN it will be a big step - others have done it years earlier. Examples: MS O365, Google Docs, Apple iCloud - OK, this are the biggies. But for example Think 3, a small developer has switched to what they call „granular syncing“ a year ago. So it is pretty much state of the art.

EN has done an extended server maintenance in November. Every account was taken down for half an hour. For me this is consistent to converting the account data into a new structure, not only checking if all 0s and 1s are still there.

Now it runs in beta - and I think EN will pretty fast find out if it works, or what to fix. We will see how long beta goes on.

About the questions (in reverse order):

• If the forum posts are a mirror of support activity, I think the current syncing is a major driver of support activities. Sure, if the new sync is buggy, it will be a tough time for everybody. But if I look at iCloud (don‘t use O365 or G-suite) or Things: It just works.
  • From my limited experience, it is not necessary to sync instantly. Granular sync has another effect: Today a whole note needs to sync, which means a huge amount of data syncs, even when the changes were minor. The servers web interface is permanently moving a high volume of data. With granular, the amount of data is way down, the frequency of syncs probably up.
  • Regarding legacy, there are 2 possible scenarios: They run the current database in parallel for a while (maybe that’s already happening for v10 as well, see recent server maintenance). Or for all Legacy clients it is time to say goodbye.
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Normally I'm with you. But in this case (changing sync methodology) I'm afraid of seeing a not only minor problems coming up.

There is some hope that collaborative editing will work because they probably haven't implemented it themselves. I think/hope they've integrated one of the existing proofed javascript libraries for that. Of course they can still mess it up in the integration, but at least the core functionality should run smoothly.

I think/hope they've integrated one of the existing proofed javascript libraries for that.

Oups, JavaScript for small-granular syncs with a far-away located server farm?  I'm afraid of seeing a not only minor problems coming up...

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Oups, JavaScript for small-granular syncs with a far-away located server farm?  I'm afraid of seeing a not only minor problems coming up...

Yeah, I agree but I'm afraid that's the best we can expect from this generation of web developers : everything is written in  layers on layers of bloated javascript code.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

JavaScript ? Well maybe, but not very likely.

The front end is JS because the framework requires for it. I doubt this is the same for the server side. If they want it really fazzzzzt & snapppppy, they probably coded it in assembler …

Well, C++ or Rust would do it already 🙂

• Like 1
On 12/9/2022 at 9:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

This expresses a typical misunderstanding, either in thinking, or at least verbally.

There is NO syncing between an iPhone and a Mac. EN never syncs from one device to another.

Syncing always takes changes to the cloud server. From there in a second sync the change needs to communicate itself to all other devices.

Depending on how the sync up and the sync down is spaced and planned, it can easily take a few minutes until an update on one client has reached all devices.

I understand, but I would expect this to happen faster - as it does with nearly every other program. When I dictate a note on my phone that is critically important - or that is getting so large that I want to use my laptop keyboard, I would expect this up and down syncing to happen quicker. As it is, I enter on my phone. Stand there and hold it for a few minutes until it appears on my laptop and only then do I consider it successful. Seems like an easy fix would just be to give us a sync now button on the home screen to easily force it to update. I'll wait and see based on what others have put in on the changes coming and hope this process can be made faster.

3 minutes ago, SteveSwartz said:

Seems like an easy fix would just be to give us a sync now button on the home screen to easily force it to update.

I agree, this is a win-win : immediate sync when the user needs it and less load on the server because the sync polling frequency can be reduced.

• Level 5

Sync has been successful when the content was added to the server - not when it appears on the other devices.

At least this is what you say: You want a sync button - this means you can force an upload to the server, maybe followed by a download to that same device.

No sync button that ever existed in legacy forced OTHER devices to sync as well. I can hit the sync button on the 7.14 Mac client as often and as hard as I wish - it does not force (PUSH) a sync from the server to the iPhone.

This means your example (iPhone to Mac, forced by a single sync button) is in contradiction to the solution you propose.

Given all these users who are so convinced about pressing on sync buttons, I sometime think EN should add one of these. The only code behind it should be something that makes it rotate, pulsate, change colors and whatever to be an eye-catcher. Would probably work to make people less nervous, while sync happens as it does today.

Add a sync button that pushes it to the server.

EN needs to keep it simple and not overthink this.  It's an app to sync journal updates or shopping lists not send messages though space and time and all 11 dimensions.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to dump Evernote and just use draft Gmail messages for my notes.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, mortac8 said:

Add a sync button that pushes it to the server.

EN needs to keep it simple and not overthink this.  It's an app to sync journal updates or shopping lists

If you are working on a shopping list with another person concurrently, then a sync button pushing to the server is still going to have the same kinds of conflicts and note duplication that we are seeing now. The new sync infrastructure that Evernote has been working on (and is in beta and mentioned several times in this thread) should be way better than any sync button. A sync button would just be a placebo at that point.

I just want EN to sync from my iphone on the green check.  I don’t want to have to click the green check, then click back, then click menu and navigate to Notes section, then pulldown to refresh/sync or whatever the current reliable process is (green recycle icon in the top right of note from Notes screen deal).

That’s like 5 actions to sync the only way I have faith in.  Otherwise I end up with duplicate/conflicted notes way too frequently when I go home and try to work on the note on my PC.

14 minutes ago, mortac8 said:

I just want EN to sync from my iphone on the green check.

Have you ever used Google Docs (or similar) in real time with another user? That's how EN is supposed to be after their sync infrastructure upgrade. You could even work on the same Evernote document at the same time from two different devices.

• 4 months later...

Do not listen to Gazumped LMAO.  EVERYONE I know has dealt with the duplicates and syncing nightmare and has since moved on to other apps.  I continue to use the app in the silly hope that a convenient manual sync button will help avoid the weekly (sometimes daily) fumbles of 15 minute syncing (even without VPN) between devices both at work on a fiber optic connection or at home (400 down 30 up) or miracle occurs and this gets addressed.  I am not simultaneously taking notes on a phone or a MacBook, usually the app will just be open on my phone from having entered notes earlier in the day (3-4 hours prior).  The syncing issues has been the #1 issue why I have partially switched to Google Docs and Good Notes and will be the reason why I spend one weekend manually copying all of my notes from the past decade into another application.  Evernote is still useable but I feel like it's right on the edge of being counterproductive to use, unfortunately. 

It was good while it lasted!

• Level 5

Just go ahead, if it works better for you.

Personally I have no syncing issues, no idea why some have a problem, and others like me don’t..

The forum is user2user, and all we can do is sharing experience and workarounds. The experience may differ from user to user, the workarounds may work or not, based on the different use cases. What I can say is that advise here is (usually) given in good faith.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, shadowrunner said:

Do not listen to Gazumped LMAO.  EVERYONE I know has dealt with the duplicates and syncing nightmare and has since moved on to other apps.  I continue to use the app in the silly hope that a convenient manual sync button will help avoid the weekly (sometimes daily) fumbles of 15 minute syncing (even without VPN) between devices both at work on a fiber optic connection or at home (400 down 30 up) or miracle occurs and this gets addressed.  I am not simultaneously taking notes on a phone or a MacBook, usually the app will just be open on my phone from having entered notes earlier in the day (3-4 hours prior).  The syncing issues has been the #1 issue why I have partially switched to Google Docs and Good Notes and will be the reason why I spend one weekend manually copying all of my notes from the past decade into another application.  Evernote is still useable but I feel like it's right on the edge of being counterproductive to use, unfortunately. 

It was good while it lasted!

Of the countless multitude of leaving-in-a-huff-just-thought-I'd-tell-you posts, this is one of the more mysterious. (IMHO, of course.) If you and all your friends are leaving Evernote ... to quote an old song, "How would I know, why should I care?" If you're not leaving ... then what is the point? We're only other users here, we have no power to make Evernote work better or worse for you or for ourselves.

As for "a convenient manual sync button [to] help avoid the ... fumbles of 15 minute syncing (even without VPN) between devices," sync is never between devices, but from a device to Evernote's servers to another device, with all the twists and turns of the Internet in between. There is literally nothing a manual sync button could do to change this. A button is not going to lift the data out of one device and ferry it by drone to the other. At most a button might make the data transmission start a half-second sooner, but it could never make it happen any faster, since it would still have to traverse the exact same networks.

I'm actually pretty confident that you know all this, as an experienced user. Which only leads me back yet again to "what's the point?" (I would LMAO, but I've tried, and it doesn't work.)

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, shadowrunner said:

Do not listen to Gazumped LMAO.

I haven't (intentionally) offended anyone in this thread for more than 6 months so I don't know why I get star billing here...  but yeah - if the current app isn't making it for you,  then please do try something else - nothing much is likely to change this year as the new owners get their feet under the table and start to plan developments...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bwydoogh said:

On a preview program and I can guarantee you note conflicts are gone and sync is very fast.

Have some patience :).

no glitches anymore?

what kind of phone are you using?

Seeing this now, too (I am on no preview program). I can open a note on several devices at the same time (tried it with Android, Web and Windows with latest official clients). Then I get an indicator that the note is opened by me on another device. I can see my typing in real time on all devices! Looks like something we waited and expected for a long time! Having no duplicates anymore. Maybe they do a staged roll out to users.

Unfortunately this real-time syncing only kicks in on the actively opened note. I still see no background syncing, no widget updating in background. All this is still missing, you have to open the app on mobile to wait for the syncing of your home screen, tasks and so on before you can get to work. Normal syncing in the apps has not accelerated. Still a lot to do for devs.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Alxa said:

Seeing this now, too (I am on no preview program). I can open a note on several devices at the same time (tried it with Android, Web and Windows with latest official clients). Then I get an indicator that the note is opened by me on another device. I can see my typing in real time on all devices! Looks like something we waited and expected for a long time! Having no duplicates anymore. Maybe they do a staged roll out to users.

Unfortunately this real-time syncing only kicks in on the actively opened note. I still see no background syncing, no widget updating in background. All this is still missing, you have to open the app on mobile to wait for the syncing of your home screen, tasks and so on before you can get to work. Normal syncing in the apps has not accelerated. Still a lot to do for devs.

is your android version 10.50.2 ?

1 hour ago, eric99 said:

is your android version 10.50.2 ?

Yes

47 minutes ago, eric99 said:

And another pressing question: can you still view and edit the newly created notes in the legacy versions?

I will check lateron. I did not test it with new notes but edited existing ones I had already for quite a while.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Alxa said:

Yes

I will check lateron. I did not test it with new notes but edited existing ones I had already for quite a while.

my question is whether edited or newly created notes in your latest V10 can still be edited in legacy later on. Or in other words, is the database and note format still downwards compatible?

I may have contributed to this topic earlier. I am at times in remote sites in remote countries, and all I have is a weak, more or less flaky cell phone connection: it works for most of the stuff, but synchronizing evernote note was one of the things that suffered, in terms of edits lost or duplicate/multiplicate note versions. Working on several devices was a liability. Yes, the problem was confirmed to exist, and yes, with a better interconnection you were unlikely to suffer from it --- I never or rarely did on fast connections.

Evernote must have performed considerable and commendable work into the stability of synchronization. In the past three months, on the same slow connections, I have barely issues. A few times I got a duplicate note, but with a warning outlining the problem, and without lost content. Great job!

These days I visit the forum very rarely. This says everything about the current state of Evernote: Now it just works. And I upgraded to the better plan for the better search options and better home page, and because I am a pretty happy customer now.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, eric99 said:

edited or newly created notes in your latest V10 can still be edited in legacy later on

Hmmn.  I currently have Evernote installed on 4 devices.  I have a note I created on my desktop in 10.52 yesterday,  which I just edited on my old Android 'phone running 8.13. There was no indication in 10.52 that I was active anywhere else.  After several minutes the edit is still not showing on the desktop or on the web,  but opening yet another instance in Vivaldi now shows me that I'm active on two devices.  I'm poking my phone repeatedly to get it to sync but that note still has a green UNsynced tag,  and a Knight-Rider style sweeping indicator at the top of the screen that it's trying...

It's actually 20 minutes now since I changed the note in Legacy Mobile and there's still no sign of those changes elsewhere.  You may have a much better experience if you edit on a different device but I added 4 words on an old galaxy phone that are only present on that device... so far.  I also have all of my other recent notes on there (AFAICS) so sync issues only affect this previously synced note...

I'll keep an eye on things to see whether this does get updated eventually.

• Like 1

my question is whether edited or newly created notes in your latest V10 can still be edited in legacy later on. Or in other words, is the database and note format still downwards compatible?

I just checked it at. New note created on Android 10.50.2...editing simultaneously on EN Windows 10.55.2 and Android client without flaws. Saving the note. Firing up EN f. Windows 6.25 -> Note is there. Seems downward compatible! 👍🏼

• Like 2

Update: tried editing the note on EN win 6.25. This worked, but syncing in EN 6.25 now results in an error

image.png.f42bb175d2ce65ded5b7fec4650604b0.png

18:37:08 [INFO   ] [16200] [2536] 0% Updating server note "Synctest", resource count: 0, content: 252 B
18:37:08 [INFO   ] [16200] [2536] 0% * guid={0ba4043f-18ca-81e5-fe5f-fc7cfb559c2e}
18:37:08 [ERROR  ] [16200] [2536] 0% EDAMSystemException: errorCode=RATE_LIMIT_REACHED message="Attempt updateNote where RTE room has already been open for note: 0ba4043f-18ca-81e5-fe5f-fc7cfb559c2e"
18:37:08 [INFO   ] [16200] [17924] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
18:37:08 [ERROR  ] [16200] [17924] * error: Synchronisierung aufgrund eines unerwarteten serverseitigen Problems fehlgeschlagen

Seems the note is still blocked for write access for legacy client... interestingly I can meanwhile open and work at the same note again in EN10...

Let's see, if it will get unblocked at some point of time if I closed all EN10-clients

Update: everything ok, after 2-3 minutes the note got unblocked for the legacy client to sync and I could edit and sync it. Changes could be seen in EN10 within seconds. 👍🏼

• Thanks 4
15 minutes ago, Alxa said:

Update: everything ok, after 2-3 minutes the note got unblocked for the legacy client to sync and I could edit and sync it. Changes could be seen in EN10 within seconds. 👍🏼

Good to hear that the new sync is still compatible with legacy, and that it works flawlessly on mid-range Android phones as well. What phone type do you use?

Android Samsung Galaxy A53 (model with 8 GB RAM). But the new syncing works on my quite old Samsung Galaxy tablet A with only 3 GB RAM as well. But syncing and the whole app is around factor 10 slower there. It is virtually unusable on that device as you can't get things done🫣

It's a shame, EN10 is such a resource monster.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, Alxa said:

Thanks for these reports! I am not seeing this yet (Windows app v. 10.55.2, Android app v. 10.50.2), so it does seem to be a staged rollout. I will be looking for it intently!

• Level 5

It is visible in my clients, all of them. When I have a note open in one client (not even necessarily in edit mode), and open it in another, it shows within a blink. Works on all of my clients, Mac, iOS and web. This screenshot is from the web client on iPad :

IMG_0122.thumb.jpeg.594679f5a8760f35189ac5119ee96c25.jpeg

I expect a staged rollout. Our accounts are hosted on web servers, some accounts on a physical server. I suppose they will turn one server at a time, meanwhile switching over to the alternate.

• Level 5*

In my case (see above) it transpired that I got a 'duplicate note' notification about the legacy note 2 hours or so after I first started trying to sync.  Don't know why the update was so slow in getting through unless I was just on a slow connection today.  I'm reassured that at least if I wasn't patient enough to wait for the latest version of a recent edit to sync to my current device,  I'd see the duplicate note error come up and have a chance to read through my changes again.