Cannot share with my wife's basic account

Go to solution Solved by Pablocruz,

I've been using Evernote for well over a decade. I've finally convinced my wife to use it so we can organize better. I set her up with a Basic account on her Mac (desktop application) and phone (iOS).

I have never really used the sharing feature. But it seems straightforward. So I shared a note with her. She received the email, followed the link to the app, approved the sharing. But nothing appeared in her list of notes. Nothing under Shared With Me. So then I created a notebook and shared that with her, and put the shared note in the shared notebook. Again, she received the email, followed it to the app, approved the share, and...nothing.

What am I missing?

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Did you share by email address?  If so,  when accepting the share,  which of these choices did your wife click?

choices.jpg.686ff0cae8a692ef64b2d577ad04b552.jpg

I shared by email address. She clicked "continue with desktop app." As a Basic subscriber, she can only have the app on desktop and mobile but not a 3rd way (browser).

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sharing with my wife since years, using a number of shared notebooks.

No issues at all.

Sometimes it helps to look into the WorkChat (although this part of work chat was reduced with v10).

I've never used WorkChat and apparently the latest Evernote doesn't have it. I'm on 10,33.4. According to the link below, Workchat should appear in the navigation menu, but it doesn't.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313288-Use-Work-Chat-to-send-messages

• Level 5

If you go to your account settings, personal settings you find at the bottom of the page the WorkChat option. Set the checkmark, confirm, done.

It should now show in the left panel, way down. Not sure if it helps to solve the sharing issue.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If you go to your account settings, personal settings you find at the bottom of the page the WorkChat option. Set the checkmark, confirm, done.

It should now show in the left panel, way down. Not sure if it helps to solve the sharing issue.

Thanks. I found it. It's not in the desktop app but only in the browser or mobile apps.

Unfortunately, turning on Work Chat on both of our profiles didn't enable us to share.

• Level 5

From what you post she receives the share. 

And then ?

It depends as well on the settings chosen for the shared notebook. It can range from „read only“ over „read and edit“ til „read, edit and share“. Which have you chosen ?

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

From what you post she receives the share. 

And then ?

It depends as well on the settings chosen for the shared notebook. It can range from „read only“ over „read and edit“ til „read, edit and share“. Which have you chosen ?

Here's the exact process:

1. I share a note by hitting Share in the top right. 
  2. I put my wife's email in and give her access to edit and invite
  3. My wife receives an email containing the name of the shared note and a button that says View in Evernote.
  4. My wife clicks either the name of the shared note or the button. Either one leads to the same place: the Evernote web application.
  5. From here, my wife chooses "Continue with desktop app" because she can't use the browser version.
  6. When the desktop app appears, there are only her personal notes, but not the shared one.
  • Level 5

Hmmmm …

Sounds OK to me (except that it doesn’t work). Will try later with a Free account to copy these steps.

What my wife and I do: We share notebooks, not notes. Easier to set up and maintain.

A note is moved into such a notebook -> It gets shared. A note is moved outside of it -> It is not shared any more. You don’t need to share individual notes this way.

• Level 5

Just tried it with my second Free account.

Send the share from my Personal account by email. The share was received, I clicked on it, got the page above, clicked on open in browser.

The browser opened, I was asked to log in, did so, and the account opened. It took me directly to the tab „Shared with me“, with the newly shared note on top.

Conclusion: Works for me as expected.

If it doesn’t work for you, contact support.

Hello,

did you found a solution to your issue?

I've got the same problem with my collegue.

I shared both note and notebook. She received the invitation by email, but when she want to open the note: nothing, it's empty.

She's new on Evernote.

I'm going back and forth with tech support. So far we've discovered that, while I can't share with my wife, she can share with me. Once she shares with me, the notes sync back and forth as expected. If we can't find a solution to me not being able to share with her, this could be the workaround: start all shared notes from her account.

I'll post the solution once we find one.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

After going back and forth with Evernote tech support for nearly a month, they are still trying to fix the problem. However, my conclusion is that note sharing is a very buggy feature that, for unknowable reasons, will not work between mine and my wife's accounts. If this ever gets resolved differently, I will post an update.

• Solution

CONFIRMED: The note sharing feature is extremely buggy and only works for some people. Evernote tech team does not know why this happens and they have no solution to fix it.

Our workaround is to use Google Docs whenever we want to share a note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Thanks for sharing. 

Personally I would say sharing notes or (better) notebooks works for most people, because threads in the forum about sharing not working are pretty rare.

Sorry support could not solve it.

You could still try to open 2 new accounts (Free) and try if sharing works there. If yes, either use these accounts for what you want to share, or merge your existing accounts with them.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have problems sharing with my wife (Premium to Personal). 
I have shared a document back in 2017 and it still works, but the new notes and notebooks I have shared with her, does not show up. Det does get the emails, but when clicking on the button, only the old not is visible. 

I have been a happy user of Evernote for 12 years, but this has made me look more into using OneNote or investing in Notion 😞

Work chat work, when it's unitiated from her account (and shows up with the correct email-adress).
I can answer, but when I try to start a new chat it does not show up on her account. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JensS said:

I also have problems sharing with my wife (Premium to Personal).

You're obviously an experienced user - if this is a tech issue I can only suggest you contact Support and see whether they can help.  You'll have to jump through all the usual boring reinstall / reshare / check spam folder hoops to make sure,  but they at least can investigate further once you have confirmed there's no user-side issues here.

6 hours ago, JensS said:

I have been a happy user of Evernote for 12 years, but this has made me look more into using OneNote or investing in Notion 😞

I haven't used Notion, but I use OneNote for work and it's terrible. You can't share individual notes but have to share whole notebooks. And it's Microsoft, so it's burdened with all sorts of bad usability.

Sharing is not my main use for Evernote. When I need to share something, I use Google Docs.

That said, Evernote tech support might be able to figure out this problem. They weren't able to figure out mine, but yours is apt to be different.