(Archived) Fun: Green Elephant...

• Level 5

Jeff, I took a look at the Green Elephant menu. A vegetarian bistro serving Asian cuisine and they don't offer Durian (the King of Fruit)?

I'm shocked. Maybe the good folks in Maine aren't quite ready to enjoy the subtle aromas of a nice freshly peeled Durian.

A durian is considered a delicacy by some. The edible flesh emits a distinctive odor, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks.

• Level 5

I agree, but I was amazed to see whole families in Singapore buying fresh durian right off the produce cart, then sitting down at a park bench and chowing down with gusto. If you were downwind, you knew someone had a durian nearby.

Mm, that sounds good. I'd like some of that peanut curry.

Regarding durian: NO!

More specifically:

Two weeks ago, someone brought in some durian and left it in the kitchenette fridge.

The next day, everyone was sniffing around trying to find the gas leak in the office. We even called out PG&E to investigate.

• Level 5*

I'd be nervous about gas leaks too, given your location and recent history.

And it's a no on durian.

I didn't get to go to the restaurant myself, but I'm in town once a week about 2 doors down from there; might have to try it. Maybe I'll make up some Evernote coasters and leave them laying around. :)

~Jeff

Archived