Cannot find a word on search

• Level 5

If there are only a few known words you want to exclude, you can as well use the „-„ operator:

wall -wallace

will find all wallxxxx‘s (including wall), but will exclude uncle Wallace  🥸 from the search. Sorry, Wally, you’re out !

LVL4: your suggestion "wall " did not work for me. I have lots of words containing wall but I don't want to find all of them
EN cannot search a simple word?? I also want to find Wall but not wall

• Level 5

Before we think about what could be done, you should read this:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

This works for all accounts. 

On  Professional & Business Accounts some additional search capabilities are available:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405520390291

They allow to build more complex searches.

In general a better approach is to use a combination of filters to reach a refined search result. The last step is nearly always to select a note from a few notes left in search results. EN search is not build to deliver that one note, it is build to deliver a short list where looking through is faster than adding yet another search parameter.

All search parameters work in an AND relation (unless the ANY operator is used) - this usually narrows down the list pretty fast when an additional search term is added.

2 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

LVL4: your suggestion "wall " did not work for me. I have lots of words containing wall but I don't want to find all of them

I use this query  syntax myself with good results (at least in the windows client), please keep in mind that the quotes should be added as well to your search string:  "wall "   (the ending space in the search string will exclude all wall concatenations from the result)

2 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Well it seems to work fo rme and @eric99Are you sure you are typing "wall " with both the quotation marks and the space?

• Evernote Expert

I'm not sure it is a good as might be expected...

I tried a search for spec which produced a whole range of results including Specsavers

Then I search for "spec " (including the space) and Specsavers disappeared from the results but still found: Specs and Spec:

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I tried a search for spec which produced a whole range of results including Specsavers

Then I search for "spec " (including the space) and Specsavers disappeared from the results but still found: Specs and Spec:

Interesting. I'm not surprised it found Spec: because I seem to remember that punctuation, other than the underscore, is stripped out. I am surprised it found Specs though. Perhaps it automatically includes plurals?

3 hours ago, Mike P said:

Interesting. I'm not surprised it found Spec: because I seem to remember that punctuation, other than the underscore, is stripped out. I am surprised it found Specs though. Perhaps it automatically includes plurals?

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

there were probably both  spec and specs in that document. the search syntax within a note doesn't work the same way as the database search and it will highlight specs as  well

• Like 1