When will the evernote for linux client release?

quilty
Go to solution Solved by lodantas,

Idea

28 replies to this idea

It does seem to be the longest beta in EN history! For me it is pretty much identical to the Windows version but much faster on a less capable machine. I think somebody suggested, in a different thread, that releasing a production version, given all the different flavours of Linux, was not a trivial task.

There is some discussion elsewhere about the broken link - conclusiobn was contact support if you are on the beta program.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
2 minutes ago, quilty said:

Then can I try publishing it to the linux appstores after getting an evernote account ?

Of course not. The software belongs to Evernote. It is beta software. It isn't yours to distribute. The conditions of participating in the beta program prohibit such action.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Of course not. The software belongs to Evernote. It is beta software. It isn't yours to distribute. The conditions of participating in the beta program prohibit such action.

That is why I asked after becoming an evernote member by getting an evernote account can I publish it? I did not ask whether I wanted to submit this app individually.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, quilty said:

That is why I asked after becoming an evernote member by getting an evernote account can I publish it? I did not ask whether I wanted to submit this app individually.

The EN software is not OpenSource, and only compiled versions are distributed. So legally it is a no go - and technically senseless.

EN is based on the interaction between the installed client and the cloud server and it’s functions. To install a beta client is pointless unless you can sync it with your EN account. And at this point this requires access to the beta program.

Currently the way to use EN on Linux without entering the beta is through the web client. Works for me even on a tiny Raspberry Pi.

On 6/26/2022 at 12:46 PM, PortMacOnline said:

While you are holding your breath waiting for the official Linux port, I am using NixNote v2.1.5 on Linux Mint with no problems. It syncs up with my business Evernote account with no problems.

Why are you using an unofficial client when the official evernote app for linux already exists?

• Evernote Expert

I think the point is that there is only a beta release for Linux (and that only for Ubuntu). For those not on the beta program the only options for those wanting to use Evernote are to use the web browser, which is a fine and official solution, or to use a third-party option such as NixNote.

Is the beta still going on? The last email I got for a download was April 22nd and when I click the link it says:

Seems we missed you...

Thanks for swinging by, but the beta you are trying to access has ended.
We'll be in touch when we have more features or apps for you to test.

Em 03/07/2022 at 04:48, agsteele disse:

I think the point is that there is only a beta release for Linux (and that only for Ubuntu). For those not on the beta program the only options for those wanting to use Evernote are to use the web browser, which is a fine and official solution, or to use a third-party option such as NixNote.

I registered in the Linux Beta program but I receive any package to install. It's a problem for me.

I hear ya on the Evernote for Linux client release, it's been a hot topic for a while now. Unfortunately, Evernote officially discontinued support for their Linux client back in 2015, but there is good news! If you're in need of a Linux-friendly note-taking app, check out Extended Lifecycle Support. It's a community-driven project that offers updates and security fixes for popular open-source apps even after their official support ends. You can find the info on their site https://tuxcare.com. Give it a shot, it might just be your new go-to for all things note-taking on Linux.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, MarioRanchi said:

I hear ya on the Evernote for Linux client release, it's been a hot topic for a while now. Unfortunately, Evernote officially discontinued support for their Linux client back in 2015, but there is good news!

Apologies if you're real, but this looks bogus, AI-generated. Anyone else think so?

• Like 2

Hi guys, do we have any news? I'm still using  the beta after years and I am wondering if Bending  Spoon are going to work on the Linux client or not.

I don't use window anymore so if they stop working on the beta I have to find an alternative.

• Level 5

Nobody on the outside knows - maybe even on the inside, after making quite some employees redundant.

My expectation is the beta will continue. If you look at the market share of Linux in the desktop market, I don’t think it is a top priority to get a client released. There are probably more attractive options to advance the business and improve earnings.

• Evernote Expert
52 minutes ago, Giacomo Meloni said:

Hi guys, do we have any news? I'm still using  the beta after years and I am wondering if Bending  Spoon are going to work on the Linux client or not.

I don't use window anymore so if they stop working on the beta I have to find an alternative.

Since you are an Evernote Expert I'd recommend that you ask the in the Experts community. The Community team may well have an answer for you.

• Level 5

From the current communication we've got from the new management, I assume the focus is now on rolling out the new sync, and collaborative editing. The new focus issue will be the integration of some AI functions.

I doubt a "next platform" Linux client is as highly ranked. If it releases, it will be a byproduct.

For anyone who is coming for search of a Linux client, there is a workaround which to a large extent works as a "standalone" application.

Chromium can run any website in it's on window without tabs, bookmark bar, search bar, etc. For this, one needs to run as follows:

chromium --app=https://www.evernote.com

This can be added to the desktop as a launcher, with it's own icon if that's what someone fancies.

• Level 5

That’s a nice trick if it is the layout that bothers a user.

The main difference is one of functionality: The local database of the clients allow some functions that are not possible with a web based client, like exporting a bunch of notes. Running the web client as a web app can’t solve this problem. Personally I use the web client „as it is“ on my Linux machine.