Make changing notebooks easier

mrschwarz

Idea

In the old Windows varsion, to change the notebook for a note, the user clicked on the notebook, and chose the new notebook; easy peezy.  To make things even simpler, the user was shown the last three notebooks selected; one click to change the notebook and one click to select the new notebook.

The current version shows the note's notebook. Clicking on it sets a filter for only notes in that notebook. Since it's easy to select the notebook in the side listing of notebooks, this is unnecessary redundancy for doing the same thing. In addition, this is the only item in a note that behaves this way. When clicking on any other item in the note, the user is presented with a list of changes the item can be changed to (like the notebook item used to do). For existing users, this requires retraining from years of use. In addition, the disappearing icon implies that the note is going to be added to another notebook (the '+' implies adding, not changing).

Because the 'move' icon is invisible unless the cursor hovers over the notebook, this former old version user intuitively clicks on the notebook (which now sets a filter). This requires this user to go to the side list, find and click on 'Notes', find the note and remember to find the move note icon. Once the icon is clicked, the user is required to search for the correct notebook, by either typing the name of the notebook or scrolling to the name of the notebook. The two-click method to change the notebook is now a multiple step operation, even when the user doesn't mistakenly click the notebook name.

Please restore the behavior of the notebook item selection to its previous behavior. Since it appears that current development is mostly restoring functionality that previously existed, this one thing is enough to keep this user from switching to the new version.

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Instead of clicking on the notebook, you click on the „change notebook“ button. You know where to find it - right beside the notebook title. Hiding it reduces clutter on the UI.

To find the notebook usually requires just 2 or 3 characters - it searches everywhere in the name, not only at the beginning.

To get there even faster you can type the keyboard shortcut (strg-cmd-M on the Mac). 

Clicking on the notebook name takes you to the note listing for that notebook. This is consistent with other functions. Furthermore now the notebook is preselected as a filter for searches.

So sorry, this action path is already in use, for a function requested by other users here.

After looking what would be destroyed in functionality to implement what you ask for, I am against making this move.

We will see what other users think about it.

Personal observation: If this notebook handling is so important for you, you probably use mainly notebooks to organize you notes. I would switch to tags instead - makes organization much better, and reduces the need to move stuff to notebooks permanently.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'm with @PinkElephant - several things have moved around in the new version, and if we have everything restored to where it used to be - that'll be the old version back again.  Plus everyone whose muscle memory had adapted to the 'new' way to do things will have to adapt back.  Again.

Evernote used to have the option to click on the notebook name,  or click the arrow just to the right of it - this doesn't seem like much of a departure,  and I already got used to it.  Sorry if this is an irritation for you,  but you'll get used to it... eventually...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Honestly, I think it's just that the "move note" button is invisible. It took me a few tries until I randomly hovered my mouse at just the right place, and now I know it's there. IMHO, nothing would be lost by keeping it visible. IMHOO (other opinion), it works fine when you know it's there. Does anybody say "meh" anymore?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I've never known that button not to work (once you make it visible), but yes, there are other options: Shift+Alt+M, and the 3-dots menu to the right of the Share button. I'm not sure who "must remove them first" -- not us; we are just other users here.

• Like 1

I am trying to retrain myself not to click on the notebook but to hover and find the move notebook button. However, can EN at least bring back the dropdown menu when you do click on the Move notebook? Instead it has to open up a whole mini-window with the notebooks listed, you choose it and then still have to click Done. With drop down it's one click to open and one click to choose and it's automatically done. That may seem petty, 2 clicks instead of 3, but when you have a lot of notes to sort it makes a huge difference. I import everything to an Inbox and then tag and sort them into notebooks (yes, I use both tags and about 6  notebooks)

13 minutes ago, catsknit said:

I am trying to retrain myself not to click on the notebook but to hover and find the move notebook button.

Fortunately I rarely move notes in this way but I agree it takes a while to get used to the hover behaviour. Don't forget the keyboard shortcut (alt+shift+M) will always bring up the move menu and because your hands are on the keyboard you can then use the arrow keys and enter to select the notebook. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, catsknit said:

I am trying to retrain myself not to click on the notebook but to hover and find the move notebook button. However, can EN at least bring back the dropdown menu when you do click on the Move notebook? Instead it has to open up a whole mini-window with the notebooks listed, you choose it and then still have to click Done. With drop down it's one click to open and one click to choose and it's automatically done. That may seem petty, 2 clicks instead of 3, but when you have a lot of notes to sort it makes a huge difference. I import everything to an Inbox and then tag and sort them into notebooks (yes, I use both tags and about 6  notebooks)

My impression (no more than that) is that the extra Done click is to prevent accidentally re-assigning to the wrong notebook by a misplaced click. A few times doing that, and the Done would start to seem like a time-saver. (Maybe that never happens to you, but I am fairly fat fingered in such things.)

I guess I can see this, Dave, although it's very rare that it happens to me and I usually notice it right away. I rarely limit searches to a single notebook so it's not going to cause trouble retrieving it if I accidentally send it to the wrong notebook. I would still prefer the drop-down menu (as well as moving tags back to the top alongside the Notebook button)

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, catsknit said:

I completely agree and hate the new way as well but I think it is unlikely they will change it, so I file this one under life’s minor irritants.  I have a fairly long list of those with Evernote v10.

• Like 1

And now, to make things even worse, I find I am unable to move more than one note at a time? I normally go through and select several related notes then hit move to send them all to a particular notebook. It lets me tag several at once but when I choose move, with more than one selected, it says "moving 1 of 1 notes" and moves only the first one. What is up with that?

20 minutes ago, catsknit said:

And now, to make things even worse, I find I am unable to move more than one note at a time? I normally go through and select several related notes then hit move to send them all to a particular notebook. It lets me tag several at once but when I choose move, with more than one selected, it says "moving 1 of 1 notes" and moves only the first one. What is up with that?

I dunno. I just tried to move 3 notes at the same time and it worked for me. (On 10.60.4-win-ddl-public just now.)

5 hours ago, catsknit said:

It lets me tag several at once but when I choose move, with more than one selected, it says "moving 1 of 1 notes" and moves only the first one. What is up with that?

I think you may be using the move note hover button on the first note selected. You need to use either the move button on the blue multi-select menu or the keyboard shortcut.

image.png.c8462ae77faa9f384981f486ed4b0a63.png

You can also drag the selected notes onto the notebook in the sidebar.

• Like 1

Oh, that makes sense now! I was defaulting to using the top Move button since it was that way in the legacy version. I thought it was weird that EN would have changed multi-move and no one else had complained!