Android Evernote searching inside PDF's within offline notes

• Level 5

I realize this on my iOS devices a while ago already. While offline (with fully downloaded notebooks) search turned up nothing from attachments (not only PDFs).

Support confirmed on my ticket that this is missing capability, and that it is considered to add it „later“. 🤬

This reduces the usability for me a lot when offline. Any additional support ticket is highly welcomed !

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I think not. I just turned off data and WiFi and searched for a term inside a PDF and found the relevant note.

PDFs can take awhile to be indexed. Are they newly attached to a note? If so leave it overnight and try again.

Perhaps the indexing is retained for awhile after data is turned off.

Support reply

Please be advised that we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team. Although I can't give you a specific time frame of when this feature will be implemented into the new Evernote app.

Thanks for sharing this idea with me. I’ve gone ahead and made note of this for our development team. While we can’t commit to getting all feature requests into the product, we do rely on our community to tell us what they’d like to see in the future. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any other ideas.

Perhaps it's just me with a lot of PDF’S,  but without this it makes having files offline and having a Premium accounts a lot less value! 

Doc

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

No, it is not just you. I wonder what is holding them back to implement it.

I contacted them last year about it - and I am using a lot of PDFs, since I do a good deal of scanning. Plus a lot of documents like banking stuff comes natively as a signed pdf.

It reduces offline usability on mobile by an estimated 50% for me - everything concerning researching my database is not reliable any longer.

Since one year, Evernote promised to introduce this feature and they state on their WEB page that search within PDF is possible. You can search for words in PDF files but you cannot search within the PDF file. You must download it, open in a PDF Reader and than you can search.

It is like with all "comming soon"  Evernote is working on it until  nevernever

• Level 5

We are discussing searching notes based on pdf content on a mobile device while offline. This is a specific use case.

You post as if there was a general problem. No, there isn’t. While online (which for mobile devices is probably the standard in most cases) everything works.

Then you post some remarks about search in PDFs not being possible, need to download, use another app - I give you the doubt you may really don’t know better.

Because it is wrong what you write: Open the pdf, hit the magnifying glass top right, search. You get a nice preview of all hits, tap on any and are taken to that search hit. This works on- and offline.

About the initial problem I am unhappy, and I told so. But we should not confuse other users with own inability to use what works.

Search inside pdf, iOS app 10.34, flight mode:

EB53BAA8-1E22-490E-9026-3E0D9F1FDB47.thumb.png.4934ddbf86d6269376486a973e3b3345.png