Duplicating a note with change tracking

Scalex

Idea

When I duplicate a note, the content of the note is saved in the copy as it was when it was duplicated.

I like the ability to choose between two options when duplicating:

- Duplicating as it is now, i.e. taking the current state and creating a separate independent copy that is unaffected by changes to the original note

- duplicating it so that it is actually a single note shared across multiple notebooks, so that if I make a change in any of them, original or copy, the change will be reflected everywhere.

3 replies to this idea

6 minutes ago, Scalex said:

- duplicating it so that it is actually a single note shared across multiple notebooks, so that if I make a change in any of them, original or copy, the change will be reflected everywhere.

I really can't see EN wanting to break the one to one relationship between notes and notebooks. If you want a note to have multiple categories then tags is the way that EN allows you to do that.

Thank you Mike for your reply.

If these were purely notes for me, I guess a tag solution would be enough. But here it's a case where there are shared notebooks (different notebooks to different groups of users), so it would be handy for me to have a notebook with source notes for my use, and when I change the text of a note to reflect that in all those shared notebooks so I don't have to copy it in manually.

1 hour ago, Scalex said:

But here it's a case where there are shared notebooks (different notebooks to different groups of users), so it would be handy for me to have a notebook with source notes for my use, and when I change the text of a note to reflect that in all those shared notebooks so I don't have to copy it in manually.

OK, in that situation, I can see why notebooks would work better for you. I do think, though, that breaking the one to one relationship between a note and it's notebook will cause all sorts of unintended problems. Maybe some sort of scripting solution could automatically copy the modified note into the different notebooks. Worth looking at something like IFTTT or Zapier because I know they have various EN processes they can run. Alternatively perhaps something like Autohotkey (windows) could be made to do the same thing.