On Android, IOS, Linux (via Browser) and Mac (Apple Silicon)

Luis Sayo

Idea

Hi,

I am a software developer and a  content creator; I need to switch platforms (cited above) frequently.  Often (very often) a note edited on one of the platforms above and then edited another - say first on the IOS and then Linux or Mac would, after a few mins would be duplicated. There are times when I've lost information.

Is there a way of 'saving' work done on one device so that everything gets synced on the cloud ensuring that any retrievals of the same note on any other device will not result in a duplication?

This is really annoying!

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Depends on the devices you use. To understand it better, it is necessary to understand how EN is syncing. Syncing is always client to server, server to client. There will never 2 clients sync directly. So there are 2 steps that may go wrong: Syncing „up“ from the device where the edit took place to the server, Syncing „Down“ from the server to all other devices.

Before you start editing a note, its latest version needs to be synced first up, and then down, and this to the device where you want to make the edits.

When you start editing a note on a second device, and the changes have not yet reached this client, EN will detect the problem on the server that 2 notes with different content are existing. And it will now create a conflict note.

On iOS you can see if a note needs to sync up to the server: When a green triangle shows in the note list on a note, it still needs syncing. The triangle does NOT mean a sync is ongoing, it means it is waiting to sync, or may be still syncing. Usually it will sync within a few minutes. Pull down the notes list with a finger to make it sync, or use the syncing option in the iOS clients settings to make it sync directly. But wait until all notes are free of the green triangle.

On any desktop client you can force a syncing by ctrl/cmd-R. Or (on a Mac, probably similar on Windows) hold down the opt-key before you click on the help menu. Behind the „Troubleshooting“ entry which now appears you find the Reload, the Forced Reload and other options.

On the web client, you are working directly on the server. But it still needs to send data. So it may be you are actually working on a cached version of a note. Refresh the client before you start working, or to be sure to clean the cache to get a fresh copy.

This should cover it, more or less.

• Level 5
54 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

On iOS you can see if a note needs to sync up to the server: When a green triangle shows in the note list on a note, it still needs syncing. The triangle does NOT mean a sync is ongoing, it means it is waiting to sync, or may be still syncing. Usually it will sync within a few minutes. Pull down the notes list with a finger to make it sync, or use the syncing option in the iOS clients settings to make it sync directly. But wait until all notes are free of the green triangle.

Same for Android.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions... I'll try them out. By the way, I'm using the Brave browser on a Linux Ubuntu distro. Have you (or anyone here) experienced any particular issues with that brower/OS combination?

Thanks again.

• Level 5

Brave is known for being sort of tough on security / privacy. If you have any problems, maybe play with settings. The web client needs to place some cookies.

When on Linux (Raspberry Pi OS, which is based on Debian) I use Firefox, without any problems.