Content of notes disappearing from display, but not lost

Dave-in-Decatur

Idea

• Level 5

I've raised a support ticket on this, but I wanted to post it here too in case anyone else might have run into it. It seems to be a matter of the displaying of notes only. It is VERY alarming, but in fact no data seem to be actually lost.

On a couple of occasions recently, I've had notes display as completely blank, with the "Start writing, drag files, etc." notice and links to templates as if they were newly created. Their content appears in the previews (e.g., in Cards view) in the Note List, and in the Notes widget on Home. Likewise if I go into Note History, the current version shows the note content exactly as it should be. If I duplicate the note, it does the same weird things.

This happens in the current version of both the Windows app and the Web client. It does not happen in the old version 6 on an old Windows 7 computer (in which the note's data display as they should), though it does happen in the current Web client there. With the Web client, it happens in multiple browsers, in both normal and private browsing modes.

This is the second time this has happened recently. I got the previous note to appear properly again, but I can't remember how. When it happened again today, with a different note, I tried signing out and back in (both Windows app and Web client), and reloading and force reloading the Windows app, and nothing would cause that note's data to display. It's still that way after several hours. I have not tried reverting it back to a slightly previous version in note history, because frankly I'm afraid to mess with it, even though the data do still seem to be there, just not displaying.

If anyone has any advice I'll take it gladly, but this seems like one for support, and they have my ticket.

5 replies to this idea

I am having the same problem. Very distressing.  When I go to "home" and then "tags" and then search for notes with specific tags --- no notes appear even though for example in tags it says there are 19 entries under this particular tag.  

I have not lost my notes but am unable to search using tags.  

Hel;p.

• Level 5

The question @Dave-in-Decatur is whether the web client is still running on 10.38 ? It seems to update step by step only, not for all users at the same time. 

Same question for the installed client. There often an exchange of the database can fix things - which is no option for the web client.

• Level 5
On 6/18/2022 at 11:16 PM, cliff97 said:

I am having the same problem. Very distressing.  When I go to "home" and then "tags" and then search for notes with specific tags --- no notes appear even though for example in tags it says there are 19 entries under this particular tag.  

I have not lost my notes but am unable to search using tags.  

Hel;p.

@cliff97, this is not the same problem at all. Please start a new thread or find a thread that is relevant to your problem. Thank you.

• Level 5

Evernote support was very helpful, and the problem is (sort of) solved. They first had me export the note to .enex and re-import it. That did not fix the problem (the imported note also did not display), and the note seemed to hang the import process after it finished. Then they had me go into Evernote legacy v. 6.25, copy the contents there, and just create a new note with a different title and paste the contents into it. The resulting note seems fine: it appears properly in the Web client in all browsers I tested and in the v. 10 Windows app.

In the process, I sent them an activity log, which did have some suspicious errors in it, and even the .enex export of the note, but they couldn't reproduce the problem using that. IAC, it seems clear that this was not a syncing error or other problem with Evernote's apps, but something specific to this note itself. It had a somewhat convoluted history, but I wouldn't think an unusual one: it originated as a Web clip, which I simplified and made editable with the "magic wand," edited lightly, and then expanded with further ideas at the top. Later, I copied some of that material over into a new note (which works perfectly), and removed it from the note that now has a problem. It's possible that I deleted something I shouldn't have, but it's hard to see how.

This may have begun with v. 10.38 of the apps, but it certainly happened under v. 10.39 as well. In fact, the original note still does not display in v. 10.39, even though the new copied and pasted note does. I don't think it's related to the thread to which @agsteele linked, whose issue was (hopefully) fixed in v. 10.39 and seemed to involve checklists.

So, bottom line: I have my note available but neither Evernote nor I know exactly what went wrong, though it appears to be something in the note itself. It's such a one-off that I doubt they'll spend too much more time trying to reproduce it. I myself am going to file it in the STHATSH file (S[tuff] That Happened And Then Stopped Happening).