The infamous return of duplicates notes.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm also on 10.39 with no issues yet...  usual questions;  were you editing the note on different platforms / did you have a good network connection / any new firewalls or VPNs in the picture / how many others at your location are online...

Usual workarounds - sync & close Evernote on all other devices / work offline  if you can / use a word processor if you can / keep notes short / sync often.

Thanks for your help and suggestion gazumped

Have a good internet connection (120 Mbps) , I use the web app with my work computer, (my using strategy is I use Evernote window desktop app on my personal computer and Evernote web on device that I don't own (like my work computer) 

But this morning I used my Evernote widow apps on my computer and the note duplicate problem was reproduced.  

I will make a look what I can do 

Thanks and have a nice day

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@BonskY Just to ask: When it happened on the web client, it means it happened on your work PC ?

If this is the case, how are you connected then to the internet ? I know of many work PCs that automatically link up to the corporate network by a VPN tunnel, and then go to the internet through the company firewall - which in the end is the idea behind it.

This means that the connection is "Me - my internet - company - company firewall - THE internet". This means more interacting programs and an addition of communication  time, because all the individual elements add up.

Maybe you could send some information about this question.

(Remark: I think you do the right thing by not installing an app with a local database on your work equipment. I would set the browser used to clean out the cache when I leave the EN account.)

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@BonskY Just to ask: When it happened on the web client, it means it happened on your work PC ?

If this is the case, how are you connected then to the internet ? I know of many work PCs that automatically link up to the corporate network by a VPN tunnel, and then go to the internet through the company firewall - which in the end is the idea behind it.

This means that the connection is "Me - my internet - company - company firewall - THE internet". This means more interacting programs and an addition of communication  time, because all the individual elements add up.

(Remark: I think you do the right thing by not installing an app with a local database on your work equipment. I would set the browser used to clean out the cache when I leave the EN account.)

Hi Pink Elephant, 

You're right , I work remotely from my home with my work's laptop, and of course I connect thru VPN company to get acces to my work's apps and files. 

Then I connect to my Evernote web account thru Google Chrome and Evernote is one of autorised web app from my company and more , my TI departement was offered to install  Evernote desktop client on my work laptop...but I refused, like you said, I don't want a personal local database on a device I didn't own.   

But to be honest, at the end of the day, i didn't sign off from Evernote web app and I don't clear the browser cache , maybe I would make a try. 

But unfortunately, the problem was reproduced on my personal window PC with Evernote desktop app (with no VPN connected) 

Thanks for your time and suggestion

• Level 5

Yes, catching these duplicating issue is a bugger.

I only think the longer the connection is from your edits to the EN server database, the more risk exists to have one change bypass another, which then makes EN think they lost track. The VPN-Server is de-/encrypting, which adds another time lag, and the firewall is checking packages, so another lag again. All this is adding up.

I completely agree this should not happen in 2022, but as long as it pops up again and again, the only chance we users have is to exclude interference wherever we can.

For me it is hypothetical, because up to now (Knock on wood) I don't have duplication issues.

• Like 1

Absolutely, you're right, it like Evernote got a sync problem on a specific note (shown in example) I move this note on a another notebook (from my web apps) and then check my other personal devices

From my Evernote desktop apps, no problem , the sync follow and the note are moved in the new notebook

But from Evernote Android device, the same note are duplicated 3 time in my Inbox notebook , Evernote seem to have hard time to sync and other interresting fact, Evernote  sync news notes recently captured , but get stuck with this particulary note, I see news notes added up around theses three duplicates of the problematic note.

Also I tried to edit other notes from my Inbox folder, and so far so good, I'm okay , no duplicated note

Maybe it's a simply a sync problem , and I will be fair, for Evernote discharge, the note was captured from my android device and from a Medium article, and since some month, Medium get it hard to save an article on a other apps , it like they want that users save article in their own read it later platform. 

My most problem it's coming from Medium articles 

• Level 5

Do you use the web clipper (on desktop) to create these notes / clips, or is it through the Android „share“ clipping process ?

I don’t think the share process (on iOS and Android) produces results similar to the one and only web clipper.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Do you use the web clipper (on desktop) to create these notes / clips, or is it through the Android „share“ clipping process ?

I don’t think the share process (on iOS and Android) produces results similar to the one and only web clipper.

Yes excatly, from this problematic note, it was a share clip from Medium to Evernote from my Android device

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, PinkElephant said:

Im having the exact same issues - actually its been continuous for I guess a year now.  Im not using a VPN, just my mac connected to internet. Have good speeds and no connectivity issues and no problems with other services, so this appears to be an evernote issue that they havent managed to fix. Its extremely frustrating. Ive mainly moved to apple notes nowadays, but occasionally pop back to do certain things and just now had to delete 7 of the same note.  Previously Ive had upwards of 20 copies of the same notes.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, SSPOZ said:

I don't understand why no other cloud service has the duplicates sync issue that Evernote has. Why can't they get it right?

Possibly because not enough customers are reporting the issue to Support and carrying through with the investigation to resolve it?

It's not a generic fault - only a percentage of customers seem to suffer from the issue.  Whether that's due to their workflow,  the hardware,  the web connection or any mixture of the above is unclear;  but I certainly don't suffer from this problem,  and neither (AFAIK) do any of the other regular forum advisors here.  Until Evernote know exactly what causes some users to suffer from duplicates,  they can't do anything specific to help from their end - if the cause is even under their control.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Just registering that it happened to me yesterday while editing a note in the Web client. Suddenly it was spitting out duplicates one after the other. I quickly closed that browser tab, and picked up editing in the desktop app (legacy, v. 6, but I don't think that mattered). No problem there, and after getting things about the way I wanted I tried opening the note in the Web again, and again it spewed duplicates. I ended up with a couple dozen in the Trash, I think.

I couldn't tell if it was something about this note, or something about my Internet connection at the time, or something about the state of the Internet between me and Evernote or.... I was not inclined to try opening another note in the browser to see what happened. I looked at that same note again just now in the browser, and did a random edit, with no duplication. So I'm inclined to think it was a connection issue. Still, eventually this needs to be fixed for good, hopefully in the Great Big Sync Revision.

• 4 months later...

I have been reporting this for I can't remember how long. I dread opening evernote on different devices. I fear will see duplicate notes.

I use iPhone and Windows Desktop app. They fail to sync too often.

Evernote doesn't seem to care about this issue. There is a simple solution.

They used to have a SYNC button on the desktop app. They removed it. They need to bring it back.

Let the user make changes and sync immediately. Your automatic sync logic doesn't work.

image.thumb.png.9bfbab3481a210f085c569bbd33bf246.png