moving to new computer - making sure I've got all my files

I’m in the process of moving to a new computer and I want to make sure I don’t leave anything behind.
Are my Evernote files all saved in the cloud? Or are there some saved locally on my computer that I have to make sure and move?

• Level 5

If on version 10, yes.

Make sure to log out on the old device, and quit the app. For all plans it is good practice (and for Free users important) to then go to another device, access account settings and revoke access to the device you no longer use.

Then open the new device, install the EN client, log in and wait for the initial download.

• Like 1

I'm actually moving from Windows 7 to Windows 11. (It took weeks to convert what turned out to be thousands of Clarisworks documents to more recent software. I'm finally able to upgrade to the new operating system.)

Thanks for the tip about revoking access. Doing my best to make this a very clean install moving forward (OMG, I found so much ancient craperoonie, hunting through this hard drive, obsolete files from the previous three computer upgrades).

So if I"m moving from Windows 7 to Windows 11, will all my files get downloaded when I start it up on my new computer?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
39 minutes ago, Tiggerlou said:

So if I"m moving from Windows 7 to Windows 11, will all my files get downloaded when I start it up on my new computer?

Yes. It can take some hours for everything to finally arrive but if you access a note it will open on the new machine and from then on it a local copy will be stored.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, Tiggerlou said:

I'm actually moving from Windows 7 to Windows 11. (It took weeks to convert what turned out to be thousands of Clarisworks documents to more recent software. I'm finally able to upgrade to the new operating system.)

Thanks for the tip about revoking access. Doing my best to make this a very clean install moving forward (OMG, I found so much ancient craperoonie, hunting through this hard drive, obsolete files from the previous three computer upgrades).

I'm in a similar process. I already installed Evernote on the new computer, and I was amazed at how quickly my notes became available. Evernote doesn't have to do any conversion of file formats from a Win7 to a Win11 computer, since their native structure is stored on their servers in the cloud, and they just download from that.

And now I'm thinking about the craperoonie decisions. Sigh. So much easier to just take them all along to my new giant SSD drive and pretend that I'll go through them some day....

16 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm in a similar process. I already installed Evernote on the new computer, and I was amazed at how quickly my notes became available. Evernote doesn't have to do any conversion of file formats from a Win7 to a Win11 computer, since their native structure is stored on their servers in the cloud, and they just download from that.

And now I'm thinking about the craperoonie decisions. Sigh. So much easier to just take them all along to my new giant SSD drive and pretend that I'll go through them some day....

I just saw a very sobering article about "craperoonies". https://www.makeuseof.com/delete-zombie-apps-no-longer-use/
Apparently, this is not just a question of disc space. Turns out discontinued, old apps can actually be dangerous. "Apps and software that are no longer maintained by their developers, but still exist on people's devices. [Keep them and] you're opening yourself up to unnecessary security risks."

I am SO GLAD I'm going through my old computer with a fine tooth comb before I move to the new one. At the very least it's been an interesting trip down memory lane 😉

Thanks for the tip about file formats! Glad to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, Tiggerlou said:

I just saw a very sobering article about "craperoonies". https://www.makeuseof.com/delete-zombie-apps-no-longer-use/
Apparently, this is not just a question of disc space. Turns out discontinued, old apps can actually be dangerous. "Apps and software that are no longer maintained by their developers, but still exist on people's devices. [Keep them and] you're opening yourself up to unnecessary security risks."

Excellent point. I'm definitely not bringing along any unused or abandoned apps. For me it's more a question of old files ... memos from my former job 20 years ago.... Also time to think about what my kids will have to go through some day.

This is the first time I'm migrating to a new computer myself, without any IT help. In the past, I've simply handed it over and hoped. That means those guys have always simply migrated every bit of my craperoonie files, going back decades.
In particular, and this has been relevant to the migration out of Windows 7 and into Windows 11, I had to convert thousands (yes, thousands) of documents from Clarisworks. That's beloved (but seriously obsolete) outliner software that barely survived the upgrade into Win7. I used Clarisworks to keep records on every aspect of my solopreneur business and personal life, going back about 25 years.
You can imagine what it's been like to go through all those records! Quite a trip down memory lane....

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Yes, I can imagine a lot of memorable things turned up.

About opening it: I am not aware that software running on Win7 would not run on Win11 - maybe it needs that special mode of XP-compatability.

I think there is a better way still: LibreOffice should be able to open and even edit most ClarisWorks files.

• Like 1

And that's what I used to convert the Clarisworks files. LibreOffice may not have the full set of outliner features, collapsing and expanding for example. But at least it preserves my indents!

• Like 1