Sort Options - can the default be set on a notebook by notebook basis?

Greetings all,

For most of my notes in my various Evernote notebooks, I have them displayed in the "Date Updated" mode with most recent first.  This works great - newer stuff appears first.

However, I've got one notebook where I keep my pay statements.  Unfortunately, I forget to put them in Evernote when I first get them, so I can't sort them by "Date Updated" or "Date Created" as I might drop three in there at once to catch up, and they have all the same dates.  I need to sort by Title, as the title has the date of the pay statement.  Every time I go into this notebook, I have to change my sorting.  And then when I got back to my other notebooks, I've got to switch it back.

Is there a way to apply one default sort to one notebook and a different default sort to another?

thanks much,

ben

Greetings agsteele - well nuts.  I was hoping I'd just have missed it!  

I wonder if it's a feature planned for the future?  I may suggest it over in the suggestions forum.  :)

thanks much,

ben

• Evernote Expert

Unfortunately the settings per notebook don't include the sort-by options. They remain stubbornly universal in Evernote v10.

I remember well when this was the case with what we now call Legacy. The ability to set a sort order for each notebook was really useful feature which was quietly slipped in. I hope that it might return but nothing yet...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

?? I just checked the notebooks page in 10.38.3 and chose one notebook.  I sorted that view by title and ticked the "save current view options" on the view as above. 

Went to the All notes view,  and saw my usual "created date" view.  Moved to the chosen notebook,  and it's still sorted by title.

Am I missing a point here?

46 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Am I missing a point here?

Have you looked at another notebook? In my experience all notebooks will be sorted the same way. The All notes view is different and does seem to accept and automatically remember (there is no "save current view options ...") a sort order different from the notebooks..

Just one additional thought. It appears that the order of notes obtained from a search is independent from the other two. So you can set three different sort orders should you want to, one for each "group":

• All notes including filtered versions of all notes (e.g. the list obtained by clicking a tag in the sidebar)
  • Notebooks (including subsequent filtering)
  • Search results (including subsequent filtering)

It is not always easy to know which of the groups you are in because, for example, the notebook could be a filter. The trick is always to look at the header:

image.png.d4010460d81e050e838e6e1e5235d62c.png

What you can't do, as far as I can see, is set different sort orders for things within one particular group. e.g. a different sort order for different notebooks or a different sort order for different searches.

As always I am happy to be proved wrong by a reproducible example.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Have you looked at another notebook?

Details,  details...  you're completely right - ALL my notebooks are now sorted by title,  not just the one I played with earlier.  I don't do a specific enough search / sort often enough to have noticed that before,  but it's plain when you point it out.  Thanks for explaining!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

A potential solution for the original poster:
One thing I do when I want to organize by a set date is add the date to the title field.  That way when I organize by title it will organize by the original item date.  Year-month-day, to keep it in a set order. Today, September 6th, 2022 would be 2022-09-06, which I add to the beginning of the title for anything I want sorted to this day.

Personally I'd prefer to be able to simply choose sort by title as THE default, so I don't have to keep changing it to that every time I open the program though.  I hate that it defaults to whatever date the files were last edited.  It's an extra step I have to go through every time I open a notebook (In the web browser mode, at any rate.  I'll grant that in the desktop version the setting stays selected for an arbitrary few days at least, until for whatever reason it defaults back to the sort by edit date and I have to go to the pull down list).

Also, there are archived threads back to 2013 at least with people wondering why such a basic feature as a default type of sort that one can LEAVE on that setting isn't an option.  I know it's a different question than the one you asked and not quite the solution you're looking for, but they're both facets of the same set of what seems like it should be a very simple and easy to remedy fix.  

Eh...every software package has its flaws that we come up with workarounds for....but that one seems like a pretty fundamental one that people have been asking for for a very long time.

1 hour ago, String42 said:

A potential solution for the original poster:
One thing I do when I want to organize by a set date is add the date to the title field.  That way when I organize by title it will organize by the original item date.  Year-month-day, to keep it in a set order. Today, September 6th, 2022 would be 2022-09-06, which I add to the beginning of the title for anything I want sorted to this day.

That's exactly what I am doing now - :) - each title has the date, so a pay stub for a pay period ending 6 SEPT 2022 gets the title of "Pay Stub PPE 2022-09-06."  Like you said in your post, it's a pain to have to switch the sort method to "By Title" when opening the notebook...that's what's making me a little bit crazy...as all my other notebooks I'm perfectly cool with the default "Date Updated."  

I'd love to be able to set and maintain sort orders on a per-notebook basis.  I like my main catch-all notebook to be "Date Updated - most recent first" but really want that pay stub notebook to always be sorted on Title.

thanks much,

ben