App freezes and data loss

When editing existing notes or creating new ones, it regularly happens that when I press the check on the top left in order to finish editing and go back to the other notes, instead of a "back" arrow appearing, the check symbol stays there but stops working. The only way to get back to other notes is to restart the app, which causes the modifications in the note I was working with to be lost. 

Extremely annoying and if not fixed a deal-breaker.  

• Like 2
On 6/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, ivodre said:

When editing existing notes or creating new ones, it regularly happens that when I press the check on the top left in order to finish editing and go back to the other notes, instead of a "back" arrow appearing, the check symbol stays there but stops working. The only way to get back to other notes is to restart the app, which causes the modifications in the note I was working with to be lost. 

This is what seems to been happening to me as well, or is very similar in experience.  When you tap on the check mark it just freezes, and you’re stuck.  You can’t click on search or anything?  Same here.

This happens on any iPhone or iPad of mine and I have a number of them, all modern.

Do you also notice that some of the most recent text will disappear, only to return… sometimes?

• Level 5

OK, this means it is running on enough memory and CPU to get everything done you may throw at it. How much free memory shows when you look it up in iOS settings, general, iPhone memory ?

The freezing means there is something „indigestible“, whatever this may be. The standard procedure is now to log out of the app, close it and switch the iPhone once completely off. When you switch it on again, the Apple logo must show. Then restart EN and log in. Do this when on a good internet connection, either wifi or mobile. When you open EN, maybe some syncing takes place. Let it pass before using the app.

Observe if the problem shows again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

@ivodre @timmycomedy I was experiencing this issue. I spoke to support who said:

"I've learned the behaviour you're experiencing is a known issue and we're diligently working on a fix as we speak. While we do not have an ETA of when the fix will be available, I always recommend checking our Release notes for all Evernote updates"

• Thanks 2
On 6/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, ivodre said:

I have similar experiences with the android app. Some days ago it took about 15 minutes to save edits for a simple grocery list. Everything just freezes - and you can choose either to wait (15 minutes) or lose your edits.

• 4 weeks later...

In the last week about 1/2 of my notes have not saved - I click on the check mark and nothing happens and then have to restart the iPhone app, losing the edit I have made, similar to the above.  Are there any updates from produxt on when this will get fixed?  I really don't want to find another platform but I need my content to consistently save!  Ideas welcomed. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1

In the last, like two to four weeks, I'm seeing this also.  Having a hard time finding any pattern.  But, it seems like I'll go in, start a note from my Home page and start making notes.  I think it seems to happen as I try to scroll back up to edit something - I scroll too far and I think it falls out of Edit mode.... kind of.... the check mark is up there, but, you can do nothing.  I think the edit button is also showing at the bottom but does nothing. I end up "throwing away the card" and restarting - to find I lost a lot of my new note.

I love ya, Evernote, so not going to "gripe" hard here - but agree with the above, this is a heart breaker.  This is my trusted system - one I've always known I can jump into without having to think about or worry much, make notes, and let the Elephant's awesome memory keep it safe.

I'm hopeful the above is true and that this is actively being worked.  This needs to be considered a "Severity 1" bug IMO.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15.6.0, 46.03 GB of memory available.  Evernote 10.38 (1125341)

💓

On 6/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, Tony Ballantyne said:

@ivodre @timmycomedy I was experiencing this issue. I spoke to support who said:

"I've learned the behaviour you're experiencing is a known issue and we're diligently working on a fix as we speak. While we do not have an ETA of when the fix will be available, I always recommend checking our Release notes for all Evernote updates"

That message given to someone was in June that Evernote was working on a fix, and now it is September. I have been dealing with my Evernote freezing every time I use it. At this point I am just trying to think how to rescue all my documents off of Evernote and get them over to Google drive unless somebody knows the cure. I pay monthly. I updated the app. I have a new Motorola Edge+ phone. I have 256 GB of storage and 12 GB of RAM. I am a long time user of Evernote and sad that it is no longer trustworthy. I am not getting what I'm paying for. 

Screenshot_20220902-022422.png

• Level 5

Hmmm -this subforum is called „Evernote for iOS….“

I have a new Motorola Edge+ phone

Find the mistake ….

For iOS exists advise how to handle the situation. Basically it says to copy the content from the „frozen“ note to another place, then restart the app (causing data loss), reopen the note and paste the content back. I assume this would work on Android as well.

However I had this problem only 2 or 3 times in several months. On a daily basis it would become sort of a PITA.

So, I won't go down the road of "I'll leave if this isn't fixed!"  BUT, this has happened at very inopportune times this week, including today.

I appreciate what @PinkElephant shared above - but I have always expected Evernote to be a system and tool I can trust to not lose anything, or to have to "think" and disrupt the moment with copying notes to another notes app.  :) 

Including the screen shot of what I saw today.  I actually STARTED with "tossing" Evernote and "starting fresh" in hopes of avoiding this.  I created a note, I pasted some text, I highlighted, and I'd swear I scrolled back up.  In attempting to reproduce this now, scrolling way back up seems to put the note in "saved" mode with a "Back Arrow" at the top.  But, earlier, as you can see, I still had a "Checkmark" at the top to save, BUT, it showed the "Edit" button at the bottom. 

image.thumb.png.ebef1d7ae000435e62b2606378073c48.png

I could do nothing with this note - could not get out of it back to home or anything.  I had to again "throw away" Evernote and restart, ending up with this:

image.thumb.png.2d72c6ab774a05cfd599d6bdbc33e125.png

Now I didn't lose nearly as much as I have other times this week.

Evernote - please, please make this a high priority to fix this.  Again, we expect Evernote to be a system and tool we trust.  One we can hop into and capture the moment.

Thanks as always, Evernote.

• App Version: 10.39 (1125601)
  • iOS: 15.6.1
  • iPhone: iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • Available Memory: 45.06 GB 

PS: Yes; I have uninstalled and reinstalled!  

3 minutes ago, agsteele said:

@JeffreyC As you know these forums are user to user. Evernote staff are about only infrequently. You should open a support ticket to get help from sorry and to get the issue recorded.

@agsteele - oh yes; I know. :) There have been sightings of them in here from time to time.  But, yes, I've opened a support ticket already.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Nobody of us is happy about this situation - shall I feel good because I only was touched by the problem 2 or 3 times ?

Selecting the content, pasting it elsewhere, force closing the app, restarting and recreating the note works. But it is for sure no solution, only a workaround that fixes a problem in EN by relying on other apps (in my case Apple Notes, sort of irony) to keep the content EN is approaching to loose.

Every additional support ticket on that issue is welcome !

• Like 1