Linked URLs w 'home' in the string end up going to Home Screen - in the newer public builds (10.38.3 and a couple prior)

(edited post and title to change from beta build to public build)

I searched and searched to see if this had been posted already and couldn't see that it had been, so....here goes:

I'm running 10.38.3 public build for Windows and I've noticed recently (can't recall exactly WHICH build it was) that if I paste in a URL to my note that has the word 'home' in the URL string, that now when I click that URL, I'm not taken to that web page - rather, I'm taken to the EN Home Screen. I mean, that's very nice and all, but not what I'm after.

Yes I've tried editing the string to replace perhaps, with non-http type language but since the underlying URL is still there w 'home' in it, nothing changes when I do that.

I know for a fact this is relatively new behavior, as I've used links in notes for years and YEARS, and this behavior is new. Mainly posting here to see if anyone else has seen this and to confirm I'm not losing my sanity. One or the other.

Thanks for reading and any response from the masses is welcomed.

Edited by NRosser
Removed references to beta builds - realized that's incorrect. Am running public builds.
  • Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

If you are sure that you are running a beta version of Evernote then you should probably raise the issue with the relevant beta team. This could be an issue that affects a small number of users on that beta release.

11 hours ago, NRosser said:

I'm running 10.38.3 beta for Windows and I've noticed recently (can't recall exactly WHICH build it was) that if I paste in a URL to my note that has the word 'home' in the URL string, that now when I click that URL, I'm not taken to that web page - rather, I'm taken to the EN Home Screen. I mean, that's very nice and all, but not what I'm after.

Not just beta. I just pasted the url of this thread (which contains the word home) into a note and sure enough when clicked it opens the home page within the windows desktop version. Have we now reached the stage that EN normally gets to, where each release creates as many new bugs as it fixes?

10.38.3-win-ddl-public (3437)
Editor: v149.0.18202
Service: v1.53.4
© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

No. I don't think there is evidence of this.

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek but I am also frustrated by the recent loss of the ability to search for tags in the filter menu. I just wish that EN had a more robust QA process that caught these things before release. Perhaps I'm asking too much, in which case I would certainly expect "was working but isn't working now" bugs to be fixed in the next release.

• Like 1
  • NRosser changed the title to Linked URLs w 'home' in the string end up going to Home Screen - in the newer public builds (10.38.3 and a couple prior)

One quick follow up - EN Support did respond to my ticket submission (which stated originally and erroneously that I was on a beta build). Predictably and understandably they said they don't support Beta builds in that way - which I totally get. I've since updated the ticket with them (as well as this post) to correct the fact that I'm running public builds. I also said other users have tested this and have replicated the behavior. So - we'll see if they take a look at it and have any input. I'll report back anything they provide. We'll see..........

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I finally got home to my PC and added a couple of URLs which contained the word 'home' to notes. When I click on them they take me out of Evernote into my browser and to the correct website.

I tried adding the URL with and without http(s):// and the links still worked. Now, as it happens, I AM on a beta build (10.36.2) so perhaps this is an issue with 10.38.x of which there have been several variations.

I should have remarked in my earlier comment that I get the same Home page linking behavior as reported by @NRosser and I'm on the latest too:

10.38.3-mac-ddl-public (3437)
Editor: v149.0.18202

• Like 1

EN Tech Support did reply and they're checking this. A snippet of their response:
Our development team is now aware of this issue and hopes to have it resolved soon. I don’t currently have a timeline for when this will be addressed, but please keep an eye out for any updates and feel free to follow up with me if you continue to see this issue after the next few updates.

We'll see how it goes - they turn new builds about every 2 weeks or so now, so perhaps a fix will be in this soon (I mean, it used to work, so they should be able to compare new code to previous code, so - we'll see).

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Just to discuss a minimum timeline: If you think in release cycles, usually the points to tackle will be more or less defined for cycle -4, coding going on for cycle -3, QA and documentation for cycle -2 and release preparations for cycle -1. Sometimes coding will take several cycles, which prolongs the timeline.

If you do the math, if yesterday a new release hit the public, the next 2 months are already pinned down and in the pipeline at the very same moment. Except for very urgent bug fixes, you won‘t see anything for the next release cycles, even if „the devs are now aware of an issue“.

I never wait for anything to be released „soon“.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just to discuss a minimum timeline: If you think in release cycles, usually the points to tackle will be more or less defined for cycle -4, coding going on for cycle -3, QA and documentation for cycle -2 and release preparations for cycle -1. Sometimes coding will take several cycles, which prolongs the timeline.

If you do the math, if yesterday a new release hit the public, the next 2 months are already pinned down and in the pipeline at the very same moment. Except for very urgent bug fixes, you won‘t see anything for the next release cycles, even if „the devs are now aware of an issue“.

I never wait for anything to be released „soon“.

I accept the reality here but if it takes that long to fix things that they break they should have a more robust system for making sure they don't break things with new releases. Creating new bugs to replace the bugs they fix is not helpful.

• Like 1

Installed the latest posted build and - not that we expected a fix so soon - but there's no fix, yet. So perhaps the fix will be soon....

10.39.6-win-ddl-public (3451)
Editor: v150.2.18380

• Thanks 1

Same problem!!

Here is a url that goes to the wrong place - acts as if I pushed HOME shortcut:

Please note that the tracking number was changed to protect the innocent -The correct tracking number does the same thing.

This is a relatively new bug.Works fine on my iPhone. Other urls tried work ok, within my limited test set.

My version is:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, markeh said:

Same problem!!

Here is a url that goes to the wrong place - acts as if I pushed HOME shortcut:

Please note that the tracking number was changed to protect the innocent -The correct tracking number does the same thing.

This is a relatively new bug. Works fine on my iPhone. Other urls tried work ok, within my limited test set.

My version is:

Having same issue and looking to find solution here too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

Sadly, I cannot concur. I've manually added URLs with 'home' in the link AND used links that I already have in notes.  Anything with home in still re-routed to the Home dashboard inside Evernote. To be sure I also reset the local data and still have the issue.

So if there is a fix it would seem to be only partial...

Windows 11
Evernote 10.41.4

and I have to regress my earlier statement about this being fixed. Another test with a URL having 'home' in the text string takes me to the EN Home dashboard page. if I edit the URL text and remove 'home' from the string, then the web page WILL launch.

So - back to the drawing board, EN software folks. 🤔

• Sad 1